Well Ive decided that Im gonna build me an AK

PDA

Monkeybear
December 22, 2006, 11:01 PM
For about a year now I have been on the fence with my AK build, always in the end deciding against it. Well I have finally done it; I have purchased a Rom G AK parts kit, it hasnt come yet but its supposed to be in "Good to Very Good" condition with matching numbers. I also bought a bolt kit to go with it but in the end decided to have Global Trades do the riveting for me. They have a great option where they supply a reciever and you supply the trunions, mag catch and trigger guard with old rivets removed. For a good price they will rivet it all for you professionally. The wood refinishing and blueing I will do myself. I will be updating this post with pictures of my build as it comes along and finally with a range report after Global Trades rivets my reciever for me. Thanks :) and remember to check back in a couple weeks to see the it all come together :)

Monkeybear

If you enjoyed reading about "Well Ive decided that Im gonna build me an AK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Glockfan.45
December 22, 2006, 11:10 PM
I have a Polish underfolder kit, and a 80% reciever just waiting to go together. One day I'll get around to it. I plan to go the bolt route, the wood is flawless out of the box, and I got one of those home parkarizing kits from Brownells to refinish it. Good luck with your build.

El Tejon
December 22, 2006, 11:12 PM
Good luck, get us pics!:)

Kaylee
December 22, 2006, 11:39 PM
Out of curiousity, what US parts are ya using?

Monkeybear
December 22, 2006, 11:53 PM
Right now I havnt decided, meaning I havent actually bought anything yet. I am thinking of using a G2 trigger group, a forearm/handguard, pistol grip, muzzle attachment and ofcourse the reciever. I dont really care for the weird paratrooper foward grip and so a nice handguard is my highest priorty right now.

CypherNinja
December 23, 2006, 12:52 AM
I've got a Cold Steel (http://www.coldsteelsolutionsincorporated.com/) pre-bent in the mail, but the Romy+G2 kit I was gonna get from Copes is backordered. :(

Some of the other places that are out are saying mid-Jan. I'll have to call Copes and see if its the same with them.

After that it's Yugo M92 SBR time!!! :D :D :D

Monkeybear
December 23, 2006, 01:50 AM
I heard we have some new rules on Part Kits coming in, basically the trunions and barrel also have to be cut, turning "Part Kits" into "Stock + FCG" kits. Im not completely up to date and that may just be a rumor. If I had the money Id get me a few other kits as well, but the Rom G is about all I can afford. I am going with Global Trades reviever because they are only about 20min from me, and I hear they do good work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Well Ive decided that Im gonna build me an AK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!