Garand rear sight question

PDA

jzimm9mm
December 23, 2006, 12:29 AM
I recently purchased my first M1 rifle. I have a question that I hope somebody can help me with.

I noticed that the windage "tick" marks scribed on the receiver do not appear to be centered on the receiver. They appear to be distinctly to the right of center. Is this normal? Is it just an optical illusion?

I'm wondering because when the sight is centered to the windage marks the rifle shoots right. The front sight is currently centered. I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Jer..

If you enjoyed reading about "Garand rear sight question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ocabj
December 23, 2006, 12:31 AM
Center the rear sight windage so it's indexed to the center mark. Then adjust your windage at the range by moving the front sight post.

Dienekes
December 23, 2006, 01:55 AM
Agree-unless it's your shooting doing it...

It's not uncommon to have to center up the windage by moving the front sight laterally. During WWII the front sight shelf was widened somewhat specifically to provide some latitude for that.

GRIZ22
December 23, 2006, 08:48 AM
Everything everyone said is correct. I feel if you can take up the windage with the sight (and have a bit to make future adjustments) I wouldn't worry about it. I had a M1 carbine with the rear sight not centered. It was well staked in and rather than move it and have to restake it, I just left it where it was and took up the diffrence with windage adjustment. Worked finr for the years I had it.

BoySetsTheFire
December 23, 2006, 09:48 AM
Pull the trigger with the very end ball of your index finger. A solid handshake grip on the trigger can pull your shot to the right. Make sure you're not pulling your shot. If that doesn't work, move your front sight to the right by 1/32 of an inch (hair) for every inch you are shooting to the right.

30Cal
December 23, 2006, 11:54 AM
I noticed that the windage "tick" marks scribed on the receiver do not appear to be centered on the receiver. They appear to be distinctly to the right of center. Is this normal? Is it just an optical illusion?

Mine appear centered on the surface that they are engraved on.

You can move the front sight if you want. The benefit of that is that you'll have the whole range of movement at 600yds if you're shooting in a gale. It also makes remembering your windage zero a little easier.

I don't shoot M1s at the full distance, so I just mark the zero with fingernail polish. Moveing the front sight is a PITA.

Ty

musher
December 23, 2006, 12:46 PM
The engraved tics on my usgi garands are centered. Could it be your receiver is a newer commercial one?

Adjust the front sight so your rear is centered as mentioned above.

jzimm9mm
December 23, 2006, 05:04 PM
30cal & musher - that's really what I wanted to know. It's interesting that yours are centered because mine are definitely not. However, If I use my calipers to measure, the center windage tick does seem to be centered to the rifle stock. I think I'll just work with the front sight to center the windage with the point of aim. Thanks for checking your rifles.

musher - According to the serial number on the receiver, it was built in September 1943. I hope it's authentic.

Jer..

If you enjoyed reading about "Garand rear sight question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!