Most problematic AR15 Manufacture?

PDA

355sigfan
May 27, 2003, 12:30 AM
I have had terrible luck with Olympic Arms on both their quality and their service. I have also had bad luck WIth Armalite on 2 different guns. An AR10T that doubled and I had to replace the factory trigger after it had been returned twice for repair and one AR180 B that borke in half at the pivot point between the upper and lower reciever. I have had good luck with Bushmaster and great luck with Colt.

What about you all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most problematic AR15 Manufacture?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunNut
May 27, 2003, 01:22 AM
Where is the "Never had a problem" category???? I would definitely believe that the vast majority of AR owners have never had a problem.

Do I sense another "Bash Olympic Arms" thread starting????

I have to believe that every manufacture has put out lemons.

If your goal is to bash OlyArms, please go over to AR15.com and join the other 2 or 3 very vocal opponents of them.

Steve

355sigfan
May 27, 2003, 01:47 AM
I want people to share experiences if you have a reason to bash Oly or anyone else do so just justify it in fact. I have a good reason to bash oly and armalite. I want o hear from others.
PAT

May 27, 2003, 01:56 AM
I presently own 9 ARs representing Colt, Bushmaster, Olympic Arms, and Cav. Arms.
No problems with any of them. All run like a top. All run like a top with Wolf ammo. All run like a top with every magazine I have tried in them. Never found an ammo that didn't work fine. The only problem I ever had was with one round of PMC ammo which failed to fire and then the bullet pulled out of the case filling the action with powder. Stopped the rifle cold. Fired 1799 other rounds of PMC that week and didn't have another problem.

Blackcloud6
May 27, 2003, 03:10 AM
I have an Eagle Arms/Armalite M15A2. I've had it for five years and it has not given me a problem yet. So I can't answer the poll.

TODD3465
May 27, 2003, 03:47 AM
Ones that realy stunk that I had didin't make the list:

1). PWA- Garbage all around.*

2). Eagle Arms-Jammed, Went full-auto and collapsable stock broke.*

3). Prof. Ordance Carbon-15 - Recoil buffer fell apart, uppere reciever to tight inside causing binding with bolt carrier. Had constant jams but seem to have it fixed.

*sold or traded off

As a side note I never had any trouble with either my Colt AR-15A2 or my current Colt M-4 Match Target.

RUT
May 27, 2003, 09:25 AM
>>3). Prof. Ordance Carbon-15 - Recoil buffer fell apart, uppere reciever to tight inside causing binding with bolt carrier. Had constant jams but seem to have it fixed.<<

And I'm gonna have one of the new ones as soon as Bushmaster gets them out the door!! :-)

clown714
May 27, 2003, 10:52 AM
oly plinker:(

1st 300 rnds went off without a hitch.

insert mag,slapped bolt release BANG!:eek:

did this maybe 4 or 5 more times.same result.

talked to oly,told me to send it in.
very polite gentleman,by the way.

i figured for the price of shipping i could just install
a new trigger group.
which i did,has been very reliable w/+400rnds.

still testing

this was my first oly and if she holds up for another 1K
i'll keep her.

just my$.02

clown

Steve Smith
May 27, 2003, 10:54 AM
So far it is a Cav-Arms. Just got it back from repair and its not instilling any confidence based on my cycling it at the house. We'll see how it does at the range. :(

May 27, 2003, 11:47 AM
Steve, is this a Cav Arms upper ?
I bought my Cav Arms as a stripped lower, and am using a Bushmaster upper on it. Who makes the factory Cav Arms uppers ? What did you have repaired on it ?

Steve Smith
May 27, 2003, 01:32 PM
Dunno, may, I think its a DPMS upper? It all came from Cav-Arms. The original problem was that it would not strip a round from a 30 rd mag when the bolt was locked back. I wonder if it was molded long? Don't know really. If it weren't brand new I'd have fixed it myself. Got it back from them, first try it stuck just like before. Tred it a few more times and it seemed to loosen up. Got it to load the top round of a 30 (fully loaded) about 30-40 times without a hitch now, so we'll see how it fires.

TODD3465
May 27, 2003, 01:34 PM
RUT- You better hope they make some schanges to it like making the uppers and lowers compatible with other AR's.
I forgot that the rear take down pin sits too low by about a 1/16".

I know Bushmaster has a great rep. but my advice with that rifle(Carbon-15) is wait and see exactly how they are making them just to be on the safe side.

TN-popo
May 27, 2003, 02:03 PM
444 and Steve...when I asked a CavArms dealer, he told me that J&T made the CavArms uppers.

curt
May 27, 2003, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure what you expect to get from this. There is no such thing as any brand of gun or rifle that no one has had a problem with. Lurk around enough boards and you'll hear horror stories about any gun. Just because one or two folks might have had a problem with a given brand doesn't mean anything, period.

It might be better to do some searches on ar15.com and see what people think, unfortunately unless you're a paid member you can only search on the subject field and only for 30 days.

Most of the time when i see a single person telling of guns blowing up etc i assume that person has an ax to grind. I prefer to listen to what a large number of people have to say, kind of a statistical sampling with the statistics. Of course a large number of people will tell you that AKs and SKSs are the most reliable guns on the planet, mine are POS jammatics. What does that prove? Nothing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most problematic AR15 Manufacture?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!