Yugo M70AB: is it a good quality AK?

PDA

Arcticfox
December 23, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hi All

I can't figure out if the M70 has a century receiver or not. If so, is it just a knock off of a WASR?

Aside from the lack of chrome barrel, is it a solid firearm? Or is it just another century product (canted sights, rattles, and rough edges) ?

Any help would be great. I am considering going with an SKS-D as an alternative.

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo M70AB: is it a good quality AK?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jagdpanzer347
December 23, 2006, 08:26 PM
The Century Yugos are built on a DCI/NoDakSpud receiver. These are held in very high regard by the AK building community. I would still want to examine the rifle before purchasing it, however, every one I have looked at has been pretty solid. For the cost difference I would buy the Yugo.

-jagd

MAKOwner
December 23, 2006, 08:39 PM
I don't have any direct experience other than fondling them at funshows, but I read some owner reviews a while back (I believe on the gunsnet AK forums, but unsure) that they were quite nice. They're not built by Century if I recall correctly, but by a decent third party on good quality receivers. I wouldn't mind one myself but I don't need another 7.62 AK, I need a darn AR15...

Retro
December 23, 2006, 08:41 PM
M70 is a solid piece of machine, and it is the only AK47 series gun you would need (I traded in my other AK variations). M70 is very accurate with a century arms receiver, one of the best stamped receivers for AK47, just shy of a milled receiver.

Now here is what you need to know about M70. The M70 has a short barrel, which I believe is 14.5 inches, and with the muzzle brake installed it is about 16.1 inches, and I believe that in accordance to ATF rules, all rifles must be > 16 inch or else you will need SBR, and so I believe that the M70 slant muzzle brake is silver-smothered?? /permanently fused to the barrel, and not removable with a wrench (I could not take mine down).

And if you can take off your muzzle brake, you need to take this gun to a gunsmith and have the muzzle brake permanently fused to the barrel for it to be legal, I think.

Otherwise, it is a great gun.

Flyboy73
December 24, 2006, 01:50 AM
My slant muzzle brake on my M70 was not fused on. I did have to register it in michigan as a pistol though(Any thing under 34 inches i think folded in MI is considered a pistol). I will need to check the barrel length. But i am pretty sure the muzzle brake is not 1.6 long, more like a little under a inch. Barrel dsns't seems any shorter than my Wasr 10.

Brion

Arcticfox
December 24, 2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the replies!

It appears the Nodakspud recievers are identifiable by the stainless steel bolt cover. I did notice that distinction between the yugos and the other variants.

Merry Christmas all!

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo M70AB: is it a good quality AK?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!