How many buy new guns based solely on a fantasy?

PDA

billybob
December 24, 2006, 01:10 PM
Be honest. The 1911 supergun that will be used for tin cans but the fantasy is Camp Perry. The .500 S&W for the tiger you will never see. The Luger to carry into North Africa with Rommel. The SAA that you will plink with but the fantasy is wild west.
?????????????

Nothing wrong with it, just curious. I have succumbed in the past.
:)

If you enjoyed reading about "How many buy new guns based solely on a fantasy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chris Rhines
December 24, 2006, 01:14 PM
I have this ongoing fantasy involving me, the USPSA 3-Gun nationals, and a big trophy. Does that count?

- Chris

.38 Special
December 24, 2006, 01:16 PM
None of the guys you see at THR starting threads about "Best semi-auto for SHTF" etc. will be posting to this thread.

But they should be. :D

CypherNinja
December 24, 2006, 01:19 PM
LOL!

I'll admit it. A manga got me into CZ at first. :neener:

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also played Call of Duty a little too much one day and ended up with a CMP Garand. :D

Evil Monkey
December 24, 2006, 01:20 PM
I've always wanted Agent 47's arsenal from the video game Hitman: Blood Money, but where the hell am I going to find a WA2000?:D :evil:

Declaration Day
December 24, 2006, 01:28 PM
I must admit that I didn't really buy my M1a for deer hunting.

If Al-Qaeda ever invades my insignificant little town, I suppose it would be a good rifle to have!:neener:

dbracin
December 24, 2006, 01:29 PM
I voted no. Every purchase I make is carefully planned and thought out, to ensure that it meets the needs for which it was purchased. :rolleyes:
Well, maybe sometimes... lol

.38 Special
December 24, 2006, 01:35 PM
I don't think I'll be alone in admitting I bought my first Model 29 thanks to Dirty Harry.

<edit> There's also the .416 Rigby that, hey, let's face it, isn't ever going to pointed at an elephant.

Tom Servo
December 24, 2006, 01:43 PM
I'll admit it. A manga got me into CZ at first.
Lemme guess...Gunsmith Cats? IIRC, Rico carried one in Gunslinger Girl as well.

Truth be told, I had been kicking around the idea of a SAA wheelgun for awhile, but seeing it put to good use in Kino no Tabi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kino's_Journey) convinced me to get one.

SoCalShooter
December 24, 2006, 01:44 PM
:cool: Nope, zombies, apocalypse, and shooting matches are no fantasies!;)

High Planes Drifter
December 24, 2006, 01:50 PM
Nope. Realistic purposes only. Even reasonably priced firearms arent exactly a drop in the bucket for the average joe. I need to feel that it would serve a purpose, like a tool. After all, thats what a firearm is.

Zen21Tao
December 24, 2006, 01:51 PM
I don't buy BASED on fantasy I buy based on want. But when I see something I want that I know is impracticle I use a "fantasy" as my way of justifying wanting he gun. For example, I didn't buy my S&W 500 because I had some imagined need for it, I bought it simply because I wanted it. But I reasoned that "one never knows when you'll be walking down the street and a bear will jump out at you" as a means to justify my wanting a S&W 500. Similar thinking went into me justifying my purchase of a .450 Marlin as being a good "trunk gun."

Also, I stay loyal to HK and Sig because (aside from being excellently made firearms) they are the guns of choice for Jack Bauer.
http://www.woman-magazin.de/bilder/gewinnspiele/24_vorlage.jpg http://idata.over-blog.com/0/15/15/10/jack-bauer.jpg

General Geoff
December 24, 2006, 02:03 PM
I ordered a Five-seveN because a character I ran in a d20 modern roleplaying game used one. I loved that character. Now if only I can get mine enchanted with +1 Holy... :D

gbran
December 24, 2006, 02:09 PM
How about that pocket pistol bought for CCW that you just have to have but pray you'll never need?

carterbeauford
December 24, 2006, 02:17 PM
Also, I stay loyal to HK and Sig because (aside from being excellently made firearms) they are the guns of choice for Jack Bauer.

from the same show:

http://slamar.dyndns.org/images/oops.jpg

Monkeybear
December 24, 2006, 02:21 PM
I went and bought a Baby Eagle because Spike Speigel uses on on Cowboy Bebop. My buddy bought it from me for the same reason.

Roadwild17
December 24, 2006, 02:33 PM
Not Exactly, but close.

I believe every gun should fill a specific role:

Cary handgun
Full Sized combat handgun

SBR for CQB (16" AR .223 or sim AK )
"Rapid Fire" auto loader (24" varmint ar or a auto .308)
Long range Bolt gun (doubles as larger game gun)

HD Shotgun
Hunting Shotgun

Add to the above

.22lr rifle and handgun
backups
arms for loved ones and friends if that time comes.

Guns to fill specific roles such as CBAshooting, competition rifle shooting, whatever.

With all of the above, I think covered from zombies, to an invasion of dove and other game birds, to the gang bangers, to the dear that like to mug our garden.

308win
December 24, 2006, 03:04 PM
I voted no because all of my guns are purchased for a specific purpose - real or imagined. On the other hand, I have bought many meals, tickets to concerts, movies, etc., flowers and assorted gifts based on mostly fantasies.:(

10-Ring
December 24, 2006, 03:07 PM
So??? :scrutiny: What if I do :neener: I only really needed the 1st one, the others were just to feed the monster :evil:

Werewolf
December 24, 2006, 03:30 PM
Every single firearm I own has a purpose - either daily carry or punching little holes in paper from a variety of ranges. Most are for the latter...

Old Fuff
December 24, 2006, 03:37 PM
Not exactly, but on the other hand.... :scrutiny:

Some guns are tools of one kind or another. But others that I have owned could tell stories if they could talk, like an worn but functional Colt 2nd. model Dragoon that had been there and done that - and remained as an object of American history. Those that see guns ONLY as tools miss a lot... ;)

RP86
December 24, 2006, 03:42 PM
Nothing like the classy tea-cup method of holding a weapon by Jack Bauer.

-Ryan

>SHOCK<^>WAVE<
December 24, 2006, 04:39 PM
Since I own a preban Cobray M-11 and fake suppressor, I must
say I do (buy guns based solely on a fantasy) considering the M-11
is good for absolutely nothing.:o

M110
December 24, 2006, 05:06 PM
I just know that the big grizzly bear is goin to break into my bedroom, thats why I bought the .480 Alaskan to defend myself :D

david_the_greek
December 24, 2006, 05:12 PM
I dunno if its as much fantasy as it is a compulsive and addictive personality

mljdeckard
December 24, 2006, 05:14 PM
Besides any fantasies I might indulge in, I have to get everything past the sub-committee on finance. She has a highly practical sense of what is necessary or not.

I don't buy guns for aesthetics, unless you count the appeal of form and function as aesthetics. I buy them to fill a specific job. Maybe when I'm rich, one of those jobs will be to allow me to sit in my office playing with it, imagining I'm Robert DeNiro in 'Heat'.

expvideo
December 24, 2006, 05:17 PM
I hate to admit it, but I drool a lot over guns I like from fantasies. I carry a p226 (pruchased for quality and reliability, not per fantasy) and anything past that is going to be sitting in a safe anyway, so why not go on fantasy. I like seeing guns I own in movies or tv shows, so that adds to it.

I went and bought a Baby Eagle because Spike Speigel uses on on Cowboy Bebop. My buddy bought it from me for the same reason.
I've been thinking about getting that for the same reason :D

Usually I consider both fantasy and reality. For example, I've been thinking about getting P228 or a P229. My reason for getting it is that it is very reliable and the same thing as my P226 only a little more concealable. But Jack Bauer is the reason I want it with a stainless slide :D

highlander 5
December 24, 2006, 05:20 PM
Let's see my first handgun 44 mag even though I'd never fired a handgun before and it wasn't the terror it was made out to be.
Last purchase DPMS AR15 A4 with muzzle brake and genuine non collapsible collapsible stock.

LoneCoon
December 24, 2006, 05:20 PM
I started looking for a Makarov because that's the gun that Ocelot first uses in Metal Gear Solid III. Then I saw the prices and snatched one up.

El Tejon
December 24, 2006, 06:00 PM
Work the gun counter at a gun shoppe or read the endless "what gun for bear and/or puma" thread here on THR. THEY ALL BUY GUNS FOR FANTASY!!!

chipp
December 24, 2006, 06:03 PM
If I could own any of those short double barrels in the movies, I would in a second. (of course they are very practical guns)

zoom6zoom
December 24, 2006, 06:05 PM
Can't say I do.

I'll admit it. A manga got me into CZ at first.

There's a lot of cool and often accurately depicted guns in anime. I just finished the Kiddy Grade series - two of the guns there are the Walther 99 and - remember this one?
http://www.racprops.com/issue4/leonsgun/images/cop3571.jpg

The C.O.P - also used in the movie "Blade Runner" by Leon to maim the Blade Runner Holden.

jimmyraythomason
December 24, 2006, 06:34 PM
I bought my Ar15 and Rugers Mini 14 and Mini 30 after the Clinton semi-auto ban of 1994. Something about not being allowed to have them made me want them very badly.

Soybomb
December 24, 2006, 06:48 PM
I bought my Ar15 and Rugers Mini 14 and Mini 30 after the Clinton semi-auto ban of 1994. Something about not being allowed to have them made me want them very badly.
The threat of bans on the horizon must have boosted gun and mag sales more than I could ever imagine. The cproducts mag buy at arfcom after the elections seems to show just that.

Detritus
December 24, 2006, 07:11 PM
fess up the majority of those of who voted "No" are just in Denial...:evil:

either you have bought something "'cause it's cool"/it fit in with a scenario in your head (that you may or may not see as a fantasy), or you have one rinky dink gun collection!

I'll be honest very few of the guns i have owned were bought for strictly utilitarian reasons (my 10/22 for use in teaching wife and step daughter for example). i buy b/c i like them, be it for appearence, some mechanical aspect, nostalgia, historical signifigance, or it fits with something i've always wanted to/fantasized about/or it's a clone of a weapon used by i group i personally find worthy of praise.

as for an example of "gun bought or built b/c of a fantasy". When i was in HS I dreamed of becoming an AF Pararescueman, or combat controler but due to medical conditions was unable to even enlist (congenital foot defects, doc said i wouldn't have been able to finish the first week of basic :banghead: ).
So I want a clone of one of those Frankenstein carbines the Air force built that are a semingly almost random mix of M-4 and early M-16 parts. just b/c i've seen a large number of pics of PJs and Combat control troops with em. Plus i'm not that hot on A2 sights except for use in HP Service Rifle.

Dienekes
December 24, 2006, 07:35 PM
From what I can see about 80% plus of the non-military, non-police purchases are based on some degree of fantasy--which probably puts them in the same category as purchasers of 4WD pickups.

Back when I was a kid I thought Paladin was quite something; but I didn't think I was going to become him.

I didn't, either. I became me.

st_albert
December 24, 2006, 07:38 PM
Can't say I've succumbed to this particular failing ;) ... yet. But I do have this totally insane hankering for guns featured in James Bond novels (Ian Flemming's -- not the later ones).

Now, KNIVES, on the other hand, are a different story! :evil:

Albert

If you enjoyed reading about "How many buy new guns based solely on a fantasy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!