Rifle questions

PDA

Wedge
December 24, 2006, 12:23 PM
I'll start off by saying I am primarily a pistol shooter though my VERY FIRST merit badge in boy scouts was the rifle shooting merit badge. I do not however own a rifle.

Anyways, I have wanted a rifle for a while. I hunt, but on a very limited basis (like once a year) so I have a feeling that this will be used for primarily punching holes in paper.

I reload.

I just sent away for my C&R license.

Some C&R rifles I plan on purchasing as soon as I get my license are an SKS, a K31 Swiss and a 91/30 Mosin Nagant (maybe a M44 as well), maybe an enfield in .303.

An M1 WILL be in my future.

The range I go to has 50, 100, 200 and 300 yard ranges set up.

I think a .22LR is also in order. I would love to find a nice bolt action, iron peep sight 22LR like what I used in boy scouts. I really like those peep sights.

Also thinking of a .223 bolt action with a decent scope as the target shooting gun. Is that a reasonable choice or do people prefer a larger caliber like .308 or .30-'06? I thought it sounded good because it would have lower recoil and higher potential accuracy than a 22, especially past 100 yards.

I also would like to get something in .223, semi auto. there really a viable alternative for target shooting other than the AR platform for a .223 semi-auto?

What caliber do the riflemen (and riflewomen) of the forum prefer to shoot the most when target shooting and why?

Obviously getting all of these rifles will take a while, wluld like the forum's feedback.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Squidward
December 24, 2006, 01:12 PM
I have .22 and .223, which is sufficient for me. I take both to the range and I feel competent with them out to the ranges that you listed. Although 300 yards with the .22 is not in my skill set. :D

Costs of rifles and ammo were/are not excessive and these two calibers should do everything I'll ever need them to do.

I have a C&R but I haven't used it yet. I keep thinking about buying an SKS and/or a K31. I also have a hankering for a lever action rifle

ojibweindian
December 24, 2006, 01:21 PM
If target shooting, I care more about the platform than the actual caliber. A bolt, for me, is ideal.

Your thoughts concerning a bolt in .223 are good, and will do well at the range.

Wedge
December 24, 2006, 02:56 PM
I figured .223 in a bolt would make an excellent target gun. Topped with some good glass. I can't imagine shooting a .308 or .30-'06 for 100 shots, but a .223 is very reasonable.

The C&R rifles would be for fun and history.

I mentioned 300 yards because it is at the club and I would eventually want to shoot it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Wedge
January 5, 2007, 12:50 PM
deleted - more appropriate in separate thread

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!