Handgun Scopes

PDA

mugsie
December 24, 2006, 01:57 PM
Anyoone have any sites or suggestions as to where to pick up a handgun sight relatively cheap? I would rather not take out a second mortgage for it if I don't have to. It'll be mounted on a 44 mag.
Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scandiumcannon
December 24, 2006, 02:44 PM
I just picked up a really nice Nikon Monarch EER 2X at of all places Wallmart's online store for my .44mag. The price was $199.99 for silver & I think 10 less for black. I don't believe that the actual stores carry this one, so you may have to order it. I found some better prices, but every dealer that I spoke to was back ordered for at least 6 weeks on this scope. I guess that Wallmart is good for something afterall. All in all I feel that this is a very good mid-range scope. It comes with a lifetime warranty & seems to be built well.
Merry Christmas!

MCgunner
December 24, 2006, 03:11 PM
www.midwayusa.com has a selection

birddog
December 24, 2006, 03:15 PM
I've had good luck with my Tasco Propoint II red dot scope. It did 4 years of duty on my 12 gauge slug gun before being transplanted on to my .44 magnum pistol. I've killed two deer now using it, and despite ice, rain, blood, submersion, etc etc...the scope works flawlessly.

RyanM
December 24, 2006, 04:14 PM
Millett red dot scopes are the cheapest red dots that are parallax free at most ranges. They're also known for being ridiculously durable, doing fine on .454 Casulls and .500 S&W revolvers and stuff.

S&Wfan
December 24, 2006, 10:21 PM
Hi,

I've got one of the red dot Milletts on my Ruger .44mag. carbine and it has done a very good job.

THE BAD NEWS? It does not magnify the image.

THE GOOD NEWS? It does not magnify the image!

Yep, on a handgun the ranges you'll be shooting will be within 70 yards or so. At those ranges a scope can be a disadvantage, especially in heavy cover.

The red dot sights, on the other hand, allow you to swing the gun smoothly and place a perfect shot between trees, even on a moving animal.

As a matter of fact, I've dropped a RUNNING deer in planted pines with my red dot Bushnell Holosight that tops my S&W Model 29 .44mag revolver . . . at 35 yards, and also dropped a doe, broadside but in a full run, in a clearcut at 65 yards with the Holosight.

I only use scopes on my long guns and wouldn't even consider putting a scope on my handguns or my .44 mag carbine. The red dots are an incredible way to make a short gun more effective.

I love my Holosights that are on my .44 and on my Ruger target .22 pistol, but the Holosight doesn't fit the carbine. However, I have absolutely zero complaints with the Millett that's on the carbine . . . and it is a lot cheaper!

I think you'd enjoy it a lot!

T.

LHB1
December 24, 2006, 10:57 PM
I have a pair of scoped S&W M629 Classic revolvers in .44 Mag that I have hunted with for the last 10 years with NO PROBLEMS. Both guns use Leupold 2X EER (extended eye relief) scopes. Looks like the current scope like mine is called the FX-II 2x20mm Handgun scope. I found 2X much easier to use in the field than 4X or variable power pistol scopes because of the wider field of view. The 2X magnification is also easier to use offhand than higher power due to less magnification of wobble.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

hossdaniels
December 26, 2006, 11:29 AM
I just put a nikon 2x eer on my new 629 light hunter. I believe it is actually a 1.75x, but IMO high power is vastly over-rated on a handgun scope, and it has the widest F.O.V. at 22' of all the scopes I looked at. SWFA had the best price I could find athttp://http://www.riflescopes.com/products/6565/nikon_2x20_monarch_ucc_handgun_scope.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!