Building Garands

PDA

Ian Sean
May 27, 2003, 06:26 AM
About 10 years ago I bought a Garand parts kit on a lark, it was $125 if I remember right, the parts are in great shape barrel looks very good. My next project I'm thinking about putting her together.

Does anybody have any recommendations on the domestically produced recievers being churned out? There are some GI ones out there but authenticity is not important for me (I already have a GI Garand). I just want a nice shooter.

How about the newer synthetic stocks? I've seen some that look great. Anybody fiddled with those?

Thanks in advance for feedback!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Building Garands" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sleeping Dog
May 27, 2003, 01:22 PM
I think the Civilian Marksmanship Program (http://www.odcmp.com) sells GI receivers, both barrelled and stripped. Any of those should work well.

Regards.

dfariswheel
May 27, 2003, 02:17 PM
The problem with the commercial receivers is that they're a crap shoot.
One may be Ok and another so off spec it won't work properly.
You usually can't tell just by looking.

Your best bet is to find a genuine USGI receiver. At least if you get a GI in good shape, you have a known quantity.

Too many people sink money in bad quality receivers, only to have nothing but problems.

As above, the CMP offers serviceable receivers at good prices.

If you enjoyed reading about "Building Garands" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!