What gun for the trunk?

PDA

cyrano
December 24, 2006, 06:19 PM
As long as we are talking about trunks. I don't have a concealed weapon permit because of the county I live in- also I live downtown in a large city. God forbid, if a crisis/ catastrophe/ war/ whatever happens, wherever I'm at and whatever I'm doing, I plan to head ASAP as far away from this city as possible... probably 300 miles to my sister's house in the hills. I want to be prepared. What firearm should I be carrying in my trunk at all times? This will be my first firearm purchase, although I've practiced with some service revolvers as my dad was a policeman - deceased now, wish I had his advice. Thanks. Cyrano

If you enjoyed reading about "What gun for the trunk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MattBeck
December 24, 2006, 06:20 PM
SKS. Cheap, handy, reliable. Uses common, reasonably inexpensive ammo.

Plus they're pretty close to indestructable.

M2 Carbine
December 24, 2006, 06:32 PM
First question is, is it legal to carry a gun in your trunk?
For instance in Texas it's legal to carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle without a carry license.

I tend to say a SKS but a 12ga pump shotgun can fill several rolls by switching from shot to slugs.

Kaylee
December 24, 2006, 06:38 PM
Aside from legalities which may be involved (which large city in which state) - your location raises another concern.

Basically -- what's really more likely -- that the proverbial "S will hit the F" - or someone breaks into your car to see what goodies you've left in it? In most large cities I've been in... the latter is a disgustingly likely occurence.

-K

cyrano
December 24, 2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. Good question Kaylee. Yes it is legal for me to carry a firearm in my trunk, but maybe I shouldn't for the reason you mentioned! OK what if I keep it at my apartment, and ready to go in the case of an emergency? The suggestions of Rifle or Shotgun are interesting, nobody has said revolver or pistol, but could you guys be more specific?... price is not a factor... I appreciate your replies. I suppose I'm worrying about things I shouldn't, but after talking with some ex-marines last week, I believe in being prepared for anything.

telomerase
December 24, 2006, 07:00 PM
Something rustproof.

Kruzr
December 24, 2006, 07:05 PM
I say you should let the monkey choose his own weapon.
http://www.yourdailymedia.com/i/u/J5Snauax.jpg
:)

kd7nqb
December 24, 2006, 07:07 PM
I like the idea of the SKS, but I might suggest the Keltec sub-2000 as well or instead. Also something to be said about your trunk gun being concealable in the SHTF senario. In a situation like NOLA the last thing anybody worries about is carry laws. So in that case maybe a good pistol.

Hemicuda
December 24, 2006, 07:10 PM
An SKS is good, but you'll have to keep up with cleaning and oiling to prevent rust...

a "marine" magnum shotgun (electroless nickel plated) like the Remington Marine Magnum or Mossberg Mariner will take SOME (but less) care...

carterbeauford
December 24, 2006, 07:21 PM
AK variant w/ a folding stock.

S&Wfan
December 24, 2006, 09:47 PM
Hi,

If you live in a "Shall Issue" state for CCW permits, get one of these first.

Also, research the exact laws in your state, and all neighboring states you may travel in to see how it is legal to transport firearms in their states.

Each state can be different, and ignorance of their laws is not an acceptable excuse, nor should it be.

The CCW permit would allow you to carry the weapon concealed within your vehicle. I can't see how a trunk gun could generally benefit you at all, for if you had time to retrieve and load it, and then used it, a court might rule against you that you also had time to run away . . . and didn't so you could kill someone.

Around my state of Georgia, we have reciprocacy laws in effect with Florida, Georgia and Alabama, the three states that border us. Because of this, I can carry in these states too . . . as long as I follow their specific differences of their laws properly.

I don't know where you live, but check on getting a CCW. Many states offer/require training and firearms and situations before you can get your license. This would also benefit you greatly as a new gun owner!

T.

PS: Right now? I'd probably recommend a revolver. They are very simple to use, very safe and utterly reliable. HOWEVER, many states require a non-CCW holder must have the gun UNLOADED, and that the ammunition must be somewhere else in the vehicle where it is not easily accessed.

Hope this helps!

T.

Kaylee
December 24, 2006, 10:18 PM
The suggestions of Rifle or Shotgun are interesting, nobody has said revolver or pistol, but could you guys be more specific?.

That's because longarms hit harder, have better range, and basically are all-around more effective weapons than sidearms. 'Twas not for nothing that a frontier coroner's report once wrote up a case where a feller with a six-shooter engaged another guy with a Winchester at 100 yards as a suicide.

Pistols are popular 'cause they're easy to carry and hence are around most of the time. For some reason, shlepping an AR around isn't considered polite. :)

All that said... For a "trunk gun" I tend to agree with the SKS advice above. It's a reasonably powerful carbine, and inexpensive enough you won't be hurt too bad financially if it is stolen. But a CCW and handgun is excellent advice for the reasons S&W fan mentions.

Nightcrawler
December 24, 2006, 10:22 PM
For a beater rifle for a truck, I'd go with an unmodified Saiga rifle. They can be had for about three hundred bucks, are short (16" barrels), Kalashnikov reliability, and can be had in .308, .223, and 7.62x39mm.

RCR29
December 24, 2006, 10:28 PM
don't use a gun that you could not stand getting stolen.

Nightcrawler
December 24, 2006, 10:30 PM
don't use a gun that you could not stand getting stolen.

Which is the primary reason I wouldn't and don't keep a gun in the car. I spend a lot more time in town than I do on the road nowadays. I've got my snubby and a cell phone; that'll have to do.

If I lived out in the country it might be a different story.

C-grunt
December 24, 2006, 11:13 PM
I keep a Mosin M39 in my trunk. Its short, powerful, cheap, rugged, and the rounds are cheap as well. Its definitely not a tack driver, but it is accurate enough.

MarkDido
December 25, 2006, 12:52 AM
I don't have a trunk in my Ford Ranger, so I keep a High Point 9mm carbine behind the seats (properly encased)

You can beat a High Point with a hammer and it will still go "boom" every time.

chris in va
December 25, 2006, 12:57 AM
I think Nightcrawler has a good idea. The Saiga will accept detatchable mags yet doesn't 'look' like the 'evil' AK. Various flavors of ammo. Cheaper than an AK, slightly more than an SKS and according to my Russian friend, they're quite well made. The recent gun show had them for about $250.

The SKS is nice, but only holds 10 rounds and is damn heavy with tiny sights.

That being said, maybe I'll keep my M39 in my trunk. Hmm.

ReadyontheRight
December 25, 2006, 01:05 AM
I like a Mosin Nagant with the bolt in a bag w/ammo in the glovebox.

ArfinGreebly
December 25, 2006, 01:33 AM
There are two decent options right off the top of my head.

1) Something in a nice 9mm carbine.

Hi Point won't set you back much, and it's surprisingly accurate. Magazine capacity isn't fabulous, so you'll need spares.
The Kel-tec Sub2000 in 9mm (your choice of mag well) is very nicely priced. Folds up, stores in a matchbox. Well, almost.
The Ruger PC9 is robust and handles well, has 15-round mag (bigger available, I believe). Costs about double the Hi Point, so loss by theft stings a little more.

What I would NOT keep in my vehicle is the CX4. I would just cry too much if I lost a $650 carbine to a thief. Besides, it might be a tad intimidating, what with all the "kinda military" look it has.

2) The Kel-tec SU-16. Reasonably priced. Popular cartridge. Standard AR15 magazines. Very light.

If it's legal where you are, you might want the "Charlie" version, as its folding stock leaves the trigger group in play.
Otherwise, the "Alpha" and "Baker" versions (18" and 16") also fold up, but the trigger group is out of play when folded.

So much for sensible . . .

And then there's the CAR-Thirty "Cowboy Assault Rifle" brought to life by George (Mad Ogre) Hill.
Cowboy Assault Rifle
High Road thread:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=221576
Ogre site:
http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/Marlin336CS.htm

His rendition of this beauty is done in .30-30, so it has serious punch, and not a very deep magazine.

I'd love to see his "black rifle" version of that carbine in .357 magnum.

The only downside to the .357 lever gun in my book is the integrated magazine. Unlike the 9mm carbines mentioned above, you can't just slap in a mag, rack slide, go to town.

Somebody needs to invent a speedloader for the .357 carbine.

ArchAngelCD
December 25, 2006, 01:40 AM
If this is going to be your first gun and probably the only gun you will have for a while I suggest a Remington 870 Combo with a 3" Magnum receiver. You can defend yourself very well with it shooting 00 buckshot or 1 oz slugs. The 870 Combo will cost you $329.98 right now from Dick's Sporting Goods, Walmart or Gander Mountain. The Combo comes with a 12 gage 26" vent-rib barrel and a 20" fully rifled barrel with sights. I'm suggesting a Remington 870 because it's reliable and there are tons of aftermarket accessories available for it. Many Law Enforcement Agencies use Remington 870's with the 18" Tactical barrel and stock.

You can get the 870 Combo and an extra 18" barrel and you will have al all around gun for your needs if things go bad. You can hunt for birds and small game with the 26" barrel, for deer with the slug barrel and two legged game with the 18" barrel if need be.

Remington 870 Combo - $329.98
Tactical Stock Kit - $69.95
18" Tactical Barrel - between $100 & $130

mnrivrat
December 25, 2006, 04:47 AM
"Thanks for all the replies so far. Good question Kaylee. Yes it is legal for me to carry a firearm in my trunk, but maybe I shouldn't for the reason you mentioned! OK what if I keep it at my apartment, and ready to go in the case of an emergency?"

For about a $100 you can have the trunk gun :

"I like a Mosin Nagant with the bolt in a bag w/ammo in the glovebox." - So do I !!

And then figure out what you should keep at the apartment.

michiganfan
December 25, 2006, 08:16 AM
I also suggest the Kel Tec subgun. I have one in th glock 17 variation and it will take 31 round mags.

Glockfan.45
December 25, 2006, 08:37 AM
Cheap Romanian AK from Century Arms. It will be ugly out of the box so you wont worry much about it getting beat up in your trunk. I wouldnt really suggest a pistol caliber carbine as it doesnt offer much advantage over a handgun and in the eyes of the public its still a rifle. If a situation were to occur that justifies pulling a rifle out of your trunk your going to (or should be) more worried about protecting yourself not how evil your gun looks. If the idea of an AK doesnt rub you right theres always the good old Remington 870. Its tough, reliable, and with a mixture of buck and slug up to most tasks. Buy a used one at a pawn shop for $150, or new at Wal-Mart for $250. I would suggest buying used for a trunk gun.

OpFlash
December 25, 2006, 08:51 AM
kd7nqb wrote:
I like the idea of the SKS, but I might suggest the Keltec sub-2000 as well or instead. Also something to be said about your trunk gun being concealable in the SHTF senario. In a situation like NOLA the last thing anybody worries about is carry laws. So in that case maybe a good pistol.
+1
If its a mobile SHTF weapon you are wanting the Sub2000 is hard to beat. The combination of high capacity, carbine accuracy, and the ability to carry it concealed (under a light jacket for example) but ready to fire in about 3 seconds is just what the doctor ordered IMHO.

If you have to exit your vehicle and go on foot the Sub would most likely not get you stopped, disarmed and searched by the authorities, but virtually any other long gun would be rather obvious. The compactness of the Sub2000 would make it much easier to wield in the car as well.

Va Shooter
December 25, 2006, 08:52 AM
Good news and BAD news for me,I've got a CCW permit and a 870 Rmington would be my choice.BAD news is I work on U.S.NAVY bases= no guns or pocket knives larger than 3 1/2" sooooooooo I have to depend on them for my safety.

possum
December 25, 2006, 10:40 AM
Good news and BAD news for me,I've got a CCW permit and a 870 Rmington would be my choice.BAD news is I work on U.S.NAVY bases= no guns or pocket knives larger than 3 1/2" sooooooooo I have to depend on them for my safety.
HAhhhh! that sucks!:)

there are 2 ways that i would go about keeping something in my trunk at all times. either or you could do both.
1) If i had to have something in the tunk i would want it to be something small and compact, like a ak underfolder, short shotty etc.
2) have a go bag, a bag, or bags that hae a primary, secondary weapons, extra mags loaded and ammo, along with any other things you might need.
or
3) do a combo of both. for example in the trunk have a 12ga shotgun, and in the go bag have a handgun, rifle (ar-15 is my choice) spare mags and ammo for all the weapons.

just a though but that is the way i do it!

Liberty4Ever
December 25, 2006, 11:45 AM
A short 12 gauge like the Mossberg 590 Cruiser could be very good, depending on your situation. There are some high power rifles that might also apply if you expect to be a sniper. While that might be useful in some SHTF situations with terrorist scenarios or something, it's hard to imagine the need for such a long distance weapon in a personal defense situation. A Glock handgun in very reliable, reasonably accurate and darn near indestructible if you want a handgun for personal defense. The handgun's biggest assets - easy to carry and easy to conceal. Biggest weaknesses - less power and accuracy.

I strongly agree with all the recommendtions for the Kel-Tec SUB-2000 folding pistol carbine. There are 9mm and 40 S&W versions. They're practically made to be trunk guns, and offer a good compromise between a handgun and a rifle. They also complement a handgun very well by sharing magazines and ammo, and a lot of police use them for that purpose.

http://www.kel-tec.com/sub2000.html

http://www.kel-tec.com/images/big/sub2000_01.jpg

I have the 9mm version in Glock 17 configuration, and it accepts 33 round Glock 18 mags. Load it with +P ammo and it hits like a 357 magnum up close and like a 9mm pistol that's accurate enough at 100 yards. I have mine in a waterproof roll-top dry bag, which keeps it from rusting and also provides concealment if you were walking around with it. If you plan on carrying it back and forth to the car, it'll easily fit in a briefcase or notebook PC case.

Which brings be to my rant. There have been several comments so far recommending that you get a cheap gun in case it's stolen. This is COMPLETELY THE WRONG ATTITUDE. The cost of the gun that is stolen is not the replacement cost to buy another. The cost of a stolen gun is arming a criminal. Do you want your gun used to commit a violent crime? The $100 handgun you carelessly allow to be stolen can be used to kill an 18 year old woman in a car jacking. It happened two blocks from me. If you are unable to think beyond your self and consider the effects of your actions on society at large, then at least consider how this will effect you in the future. If you allow your legally purchased gun to be stolen and used in a crime, then all of us, including you, will have a harder time legally buying guns in the future. If you allow your gun to be stolen by criminals, you are arming criminals, and you are arming gun grabbers who want to take away the right to keep and bear arms. Guns should be used to prevent crime and save lives, not to commit crime and endanger lives. Whatever you decide to do, planning to have your gun stolen is very stupid and irresponsible. Don't do it.

[End Rant]

ReadyontheRight
December 25, 2006, 12:08 PM
...If you allow your gun to be stolen by criminals, you are arming criminals, and you are arming gun grabbers who want to take away the right to keep and bear arms. ...

Hence the separation of the bolt from an inexpensive Mosin Nagant. Of course, both should be hidden from plain view and not left in the car all the time.

Essex County
December 25, 2006, 02:07 PM
Can't think of many reasons I'd want a Mini 14 in stainless, but this might be the one.......if I could justify the cost and was prepared to take take the hit if it was stolen. Mil-Surps are definitely most cost effective........Essex

Liberty4Ever
December 25, 2006, 02:17 PM
if I could justify the cost and was prepared to take take the hit if it was stolen....

:banghead:

CAPTAIN MIKE
December 25, 2006, 02:23 PM
Many law enfocement personnel have shotgun or rifle racks (with the weapon secured LOCKED) in their trunks. Security of the weapon is an important factor of course, especially since most vehicle trunks are easy to break into. But so is accessibility, so factor that into your plans.

I personally like the 870 shotgun idea, but since I also own the Kel-Tec Sub2000 folding carbine that might be a more practical choice. The Sub2000 is compact, accurate with pistol rounds out to about 100 yards and can be used with 30-round Glock 17 9mm magazines.

What I'd like to ask my fellow THR members is what suggestion they have for racks and the security of those racks.

DMK
December 25, 2006, 03:21 PM
I have a couple rifles with folders for just that kind of purpose. I can stash it with a few mags in an innocuous back pack, or even a lightweight wooden or stiff cardboard box. I can carry it out to the trunk of my car when I leave and take it back in the house when I get home.

Good candidates are the AK, FAL, PTR-91, SU-16, Mini-14, just to name a few.

rustymaggot
December 25, 2006, 03:52 PM
if its going to live in the trunk, make it a cheaper gun. mossberg 500 12 gauge or sks. a mosin would be good too if you are ok with bolt action.

regardless of the gun, grease it up well and wrap it in plastic with a dessicant. wrap it in a old sheet or blanket and stick it as far hidden as possible, to avoid theft.

maybe leave a decoy, a airsoft in a gun bag right in the middle of the trunk. a thief might grab that fast and run thinking its a real gun. better a criminal steals a decoy than a real gun.

thunder
December 25, 2006, 04:17 PM
I think everyone's suggestions so far will be PERFECT for you. However, I think a compact pistol is invaluable in a situation you describe, supplemented with a longarm.

Carrying around a rifle/shotgun could attract a lot of attention from frightened villagers and local policeman. Having a small handgun to conceal when a low profile is needed is vital. Of course, a longarm is the first line of defense, but if at a roadblock some idiot cop tries to take your guns, a compact is easily hidden. I'd suggest a P64 or the like. Cheap, reliable, and easy to keep out of site until needed.

mordechaianiliewicz
December 25, 2006, 05:57 PM
The whole idea of SHTF vehicle weapon is different from just defense. Just defense, get a handgun.

For SHTF, I'd say it depends on how much money you can spend.

SKS or Mosin if not much.

Romanian AK with a folding stock if around $500.

If you really have the money, get an AR pistol, or the Kel-Tec .223 pistol. (probably the Kel-Tec). Small enough to fit in a bag or under a blanket, rifle power and penetration, you could shoot up to 30 rounds out the side of your car with alot less problems than if you had to use a rifle, even a folding stock rifle.

Liberty4Ever
December 25, 2006, 06:48 PM
If you plan on using a PLR-16 for any defensive purpose, you should plan on purchasing electronic ear muffs that amplify unless there's a loud sound, and then they cut out. The Peltor 7S are a good example.

I have a PLR-16. It's a very fun gun to shoot, and it does have some major advantages in some EOTW SHTF scenarios. When it's Mad Max time, the PLR-16 provides a very nice "nearly the best of both worlds" compromise between a pistol (concealment, maneuverability) and a rifle (long distance accuracy, penetration). But it's unbelievably loud, especially with the muzzle brake. I wear ear plugs underneath electronic ear muffs. You'd permanently lose a lot of hearing if you shot it without hearing protection outside. If you shot it inside a car without hearing protection, you'd be bleeding from the ears and probably unconscious. :uhoh:

That's why I was leaning toward the SUB-2000 as a somewhat different compromise between a pistol and a rifle, but the PLR-16 does fill a niche that few others do. I like it better than an AR pistol.

Gas system doesn't dump powder residue into the action so it stays cleaner.

No buffer tube hanging out the back, so it's shorter and has a 2" longer barrel.

Lower price (almost half price).

Slightly lighter weight.

Lifetime warranty.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/Carbon15/az-c15p21s.asp

http://www.kel-tec.com/plr16.html

The PLR-16 isn't perfect. I wish it was stainless, or at least had a chrome lined barrel, but not at that price. But it is very accurate (2"-3" groups at 100 yards) and powerful (2550 fps 55 gr M193 or 2450 fps 62 gr M855 steel penetrators), and it accepts all AR magazines for low cost and high capacity ammo options.

Stiletto Null
December 25, 2006, 07:21 PM
I'm kind of dubious about the value of a trunk gun in an urban environment, since it seems like if you needed the gun, you really wouldn't have the time to (a) get to your car and open the trunk and extract the gun, or (b) get OUT of your car and extract the gun.

Bob R
December 25, 2006, 07:28 PM
The ultimate, IMO, trunk gun. Shoots .308, lots of ammo available from surplus to premium stuff. Accurate, short, doesn't take up a lot of room. If you need a rifle, get a rifle. Don't compromise by getting something inbetween a rifle and a pistol. YMMV

http://www.surplusrifle.com/spanishfr8/graphics/full.jpg

http://www.surplusrifle.com/spanishfr8/index.asp

bob

telomerase
December 25, 2006, 07:33 PM
I'm kind of dubious about the value of a trunk gun in an urban environment, since it seems like if you needed the gun, you really wouldn't have the time to (a) get to your car and open the trunk and extract the gun, or (b) get OUT of your car and extract the gun.

You make a good point, but in many cities the main time you might need a gun is when you break down or get a flat south of downtown... and you would have your trunk open anyway.

rbernie
December 25, 2006, 07:37 PM
I'm with Nightcrawler. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=2960345&postcount=13)

M2 Carbine
December 26, 2006, 12:37 AM
I don't agree with any pistol caliber long gun for a car gun.

If you need to use a long gun you may need the power of a SKS, 12ga slugs, 30-30, etc.
All the pistol caliber carbine is going to give you is a little more range but you will still be shooting a low power pistol round.

For years I carried M1 Carbines in my vehicles until a local court house shooting in which the BG did a lot of damage because the LEO and civilians that shot the BG didn't realize that he was wearing body armor. The pistol rounds just weren't doing any good.
If just one person in that shootout had a old crappy SKS the BG could have been put down fast.

I took the Carbines out of my vehicles and replaced them with a SKS and .223.
If I need a long gun, I want a powerful long gun, not one of my 9mm or 45ACP carbines.

clt46910
December 26, 2006, 01:12 AM
In my area...slug firing shotguns are not uncommon. So I can have one in my truck or car trunk and just laugh and say I need to take it in the house after hunting season is over...during the season...most would not even ask.

Personally I would want a rifle for a truck gun...shotguns are a lot more limited then most people think. I believe a lever action or bolt action will work, but would much prefer a AK or AR of some sort. Then again my M14 would be a great choise also.

But if I was having to leave my truck and walk home...I would not want anyone trying to steal my rifle or LEO taking it away from me for my own protection...so I would prefer a handgun so I can keep it hidden and under cover.

I think the final answer would be look at your laws, what you would need and then make your choices.

mordechaianiliewicz
December 26, 2006, 01:42 AM
The PLR-16 is the weapon I was thinking of. Fantastic idea for an SHTF car gun, and the only thing keeping me from having it for that purpose is the price tag. But, if it were up to me, and there wasn't the law, I'd want a Krinkov in my car.

The PLR-16 is the next best thing. Semi-auto firepower, AR mags, and rifle power, from a weapon roughly submachinegun size, and usable as a pistol.

Liberty4Ever
December 26, 2006, 01:52 AM
M2_Carbine,

For the situation you describe, only a good rifle caliber, and probably a good rifle will do. But cyrano asked about a different situation and I was trying to answer his question and not the general case of a truck/trunk gun.

I don't have a concealed weapon permit because of the county I live in- also I live downtown in a large city.

It sounds like he'd have a hard time with the local law if he carried a serious rifle in his vehicle. I kinda had the impression he was asking about a situation where there is some sort of mass panic and lawlessness, and he might need to strike out on foot, so I was emphasizing portability and concealment. A pistol would be better, but a folding pistol carbine would add some range and kinetic energy at the cost of some portability and concealment. If he can't get a concealed carry permit, getting stopped with a handgun could be a serious problem. A lot of the attitudes seem based on how likely a particular firearm is to be used in a crime, regardless of how likely the owner is to commit a crime. No, it doesn't make sense to me either.

But for the rest of us where laws are not as restrictive, if you need a rifle, you probably do want a serious rifle in a serious rifle caliber. I still like folders, so the Kel-Tec SU-16C with a scope might be a good pick for me. I have a 9mm concealed carry pistol too, so they would compliment each other.

Nematocyst
December 26, 2006, 02:27 AM
Changed by edit:

On second thought, I'm going to change my mind. After some thought, I've realized that what weapon(s) I would want in my (non-existent, because I drive a truck) trunk would vary too much with circumstances.

If I had to choose one, and only one, it'd probably be either a .22 LR or a .30-30.

OpFlash
December 26, 2006, 09:30 AM
M2 you are discounting the accuracy advantage of the pistol carbine. In the situation you refer to it would have been feasible to attempt headshots instead of just the COM shots that were feasible with the pistols.

I agree that if you are going to carry a long arm in the space required for a typical long arm why not make it a rifle caliber for the extra penetration, but the Sub2000 stores and conceals in ways rifles can not. Its all about the scenario one envisions. If you believe you will have the time to stop the car get out and take a long arm out of the trunk and will not need to conceal it then a rifle is for you, if you want something you can grab from under the seat ready to go then a Sub2000 or a PLR-16 is the ticket. I prefer the Sub2000 because I prefer the quick pointing accuracy of a short light shoulder fired carbine over the higher power but slower target acquisition of a .223 oversized pistol, but YMMV. :)

<G26man waving> :D

OpFlash
December 26, 2006, 09:52 AM
Just had a bit of a revelation I thought I'd share. In my above post I state I prefer quick target acquisition over higher power and I just realized why that is: Paintball. I've played a lot of paintball in the woods in my day. I'm not equating paintball with a real live firefight because a dead tree (even leaves for that matter!) will easily provide cover from paintballs but not from rifle rounds. Nevertheless paintball does a fair job of simulating fighting from behind cover IMHO, and that mainly involves exposing yourself briefly for quick snap shots and then reacquiring cover. Essentially popping your head and weapon out from random locations long enough to take a shot but hopefully not long enough to allow your opponant to sight in on you. Now if this was a 100yd+ engagement where people are sneaking around engaging from who-knows-where then I could see the advantage of a weapon like the PLR-16 that could provide highly accurate long range shots because you might be able to afford the time to line up a shot like that from concealment somewhere. I forsee a SHTF situation as more of a CQB <100yd slugfest however. If I can break contact long enough to line up sniper shots, I'll most likely be using that opportunity to disengage (i.e. running like hell). This is all in relation to a mobile SHTF scenario, not defending the homestead. Much better weapons exist for that!

kid_couteau
December 26, 2006, 09:56 AM
Hi All

A lot of good views here

I guess I am the odd duck here cause I look at the trunk or truck gun a bit differently.

If I have to walk out on foot I am more likely going to have to defend myself against coyote or wild dog packs over humans. I also will have a 12 mile hike to get home.

I will want a small rifle or shotgun that is capable of taking a wild dog or taking small game for food in case my hike is delayed a few days. Something that can be concealed under my coat if needed.

Perhaps one of these long guns. The pistol just happens to be there.
http://www.kidcouteau.com/sitebuilder/images/trio2-704x927.jpg

The one on the left is a Marlin Papoose the right is a NEF single shot 12 gauge I modified.

Just a different view
Kid

M2 Carbine
December 26, 2006, 07:10 PM
I'm not knocking the added advantage of the pistol cal carbine over a handgun, I've got a few myself.:)

My idea of carrying a rifle in a vehicle, along with one or two bigger pistols, is IMO if you need a rifle, than you need a RIFLE.
We can dream up a dozen scenarios in which you might need a rifle. In some, a pistol caliber Carbine might be adequate but in other cases you need the power and accuracy of a rifle round.
So personally for my long gun I want something more powerful than a pistol round, especially since I'll already have two or three pistols within reach.

Like others, I'm looking at the Kel Tec PLR .223 pistol to possibility fill the long gun roll because it's powerful, reasonably small, very high capacity, accurate and reliable.

I've been experimenting with the PLR.
A couple weeks ago I pulled into the Wal Mart parking lot where a nut with a AK was shooting people as they came out of the store. I had to shoot fast to stop him, so I had to hit him from across the parking lot, 100 yards away. To make it harder I had to fire standing, no support.

The PLR passed. It got the BG without a miss.
(In other words, whatever you are going to use, practice with it:) )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/100yardsPLR1-1.jpg

Thumper5
December 26, 2006, 08:55 PM
In the trunk --- Slide-action shotgun. My choice as a lefty is the Mossberg 500 stainless shortie.

In the glove box --- Kel-Tec P-380. Drop it in a pocket and walk home.

Liberty4Ever
December 26, 2006, 09:27 PM
I think that stainless Mossberg is really nickel plated? Their MarineCote finish?

http://www.mossberg.com/images/products/SA/50273.jpg

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5&display=specs

I wish they did make an all stainless and synthetic defensive shotgun, preferably with a blackened finish on the shiny stainless steel.

I've heard that the nickel holds up well, though.

Zen21Tao
December 26, 2006, 10:14 PM
Right now I have an AR15, an FN FAL and an HK91 in my trunk. But to be honest, that is because I am on vacation down visiting family and I took them to do some shooting while I'm here. Usually, I toss my Winchester 1300 Defender 12ga in the trunk. But, on occasion I have tossed my 450 Marlin in the trunk.

cyrano
March 10, 2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the input folks.
Regards,

Cyrano

sm
March 10, 2009, 09:47 PM
How about we close this one, since it seems the OP has responded and this thread is from 2006?

Deckard
March 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
I'm not really in the practice of carry a trunk gun, but I'd say a Mosin Nagant M44, or Lee Enfield jungle carbine.

ShadyScott999
March 10, 2009, 10:11 PM
It's ALIVE. It's ALIVE. It's 3 years old but It's ALIVE!

Starcheck55
March 10, 2009, 10:21 PM
Cryno...so what did you end up getting

DeepSouth
March 10, 2009, 10:29 PM
AK-47 with several 30 round mags. But be prepared for a LONG traffic stop if the LEO looks in the trunk.

Art Eatman
March 10, 2009, 10:45 PM
Clunk.

Larry Ashcraft
March 10, 2009, 10:45 PM
Question asked, and answered (although somewhat belatedly :) ).

Let's let this one die a natural death.

If you enjoyed reading about "What gun for the trunk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!