K31 Stripper Clips

PDA

MeanStreaker
December 24, 2006, 11:16 PM
Does anyone know where I can find some? Any reports on reliability/usability?

If you enjoyed reading about "K31 Stripper Clips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mikee Loxxer
December 24, 2006, 11:56 PM
I would like to know more about chargers for the Schmidt Rubin as well. I believe they are metal and paper (which sounds weird).

At a match this summer the guy shooting next to me in the foreign service rifle match was using his Schmidt Rubin. I noticed that he had two magazines for the rifle. I questioned him about using an additional magazine for the reload in the rapid fire course instead of stripper clips. He became a little annoyed and spoke of buying two K31's so that he could get the additional magazine. At this point the RSO piped up that "paper and metal" strippers were weird.

I would like to think that these strippers are reusable (paper doesn't sound very sturdy).

I just so happened to shoot my K31 for this first time today and was quite pleased with the accuracy. I was able to get a 7.5" three round group at 200 yards. I was shooting off the bench.

Blackfork
December 25, 2006, 12:05 AM
They are a little fragile- paper mache and foil material. You couldn't step on one. They do work though. Probably as fast as changing a mag on that rifle.

I see them all over Ebay. Just search for Swiss Rifle or K31 and they ought to be on the page. Cheap.

Blackfork
December 25, 2006, 12:07 AM
Has anyone got a K31 front sight adjustment tool I can borrow or lease? One of my rifles shoots about 12 inches to the right at 200 yards. I've tried pounding on it, but hate to hit it too hard.

I won the Texas Vintage Military Rifle Championship with this K31 in Temple, Tx last Oct, but had a pretty wild hold-off.

dstorm1911
December 25, 2006, 12:56 AM
Several dealers sell them, Military gun supply, Davids collectibles, Dans ammo, Southern ohio guns. they usually go for about $10 per 4 or so, the Military gun supply ones are I think 6 for $20 they are pretty common and usually in new condition

here is a link for Tennessee gun parts

http://www.tngunparts.com/collectorcorner.htm

they have new ones at $3 ea

or 12 for $20 also new

they are made of heavy waxed posterboard and tin

270Win
December 25, 2006, 01:24 AM
I've heard many stories about exactly what that "paper" is. I think the actual answer is resin-impregnated posterboard which is then coated in wax for weatherability.

They are surprisingly durable.

The guy who bought two K31s just for the magazines... sheesh, what an idiot. You can buy the damned replica mags for $50 if you really need them. And that RSO has no idea what he's talking about; at my range I've seen out-of-comission Mosin and Mauser strippers in the junk bin, but never a K31 stripper.

smince
December 25, 2006, 09:53 AM
E-gunparts (Numerich Arms) and Sportsmans Guide also have them, along with extra mags. Waxed cardboard and some sort of thin tin/aluminum metal. But they do hold up better than I thought.

MeanStreaker
December 25, 2006, 01:44 PM
here is a link for Tennessee gun parts

http://www.tngunparts.com/collectorcorner.htm

Thanks! I just ordered a 12fer. :)

dstorm1911
December 25, 2006, 11:52 PM
A note about "spare" magazines, the magazines for these are fitted to each rifle they seldom interchange without being refitted to the gun ya intend to use them in, I've got 14 K-31s and outa the 14 only 5 of the mags will work in 8 of the other rifles without being modified which would be pretty dumb as they are serial numbered to the rifle for a reason. So if ya do buy a spare mag plan on having to tweak it to feed reliably in the rifle ya intend to use it in. As far as refitting a previously fitted mag for another rifle... its a shot in the dark as some rifles require removing metal etc... These are presision assembled rifles with very close tollerances thats what made them so accurate and onea the best target rifles ya can buy..... they did kinda suck as a battle rifle because of the close tolerances but worked great for the environment they were designed for... Swizterland ;-) This is why all the Swiss mercenaries always used other weapons when fighting for hire, generally Mausers or French Mas 36s, the Model 93/95 Mauser was a favorite with Swiss mercs as it was a good balance between reliability and accuracy. The K-31 has the accuracy dept. all sewed up but unless kept clean the reliability got kinda sketchy ;-)

Limeyfellow
December 26, 2006, 02:33 AM
Most gunshows also tend to have at least a few people selling them along with just about every other charger too. I picked up 5 of them for $5. Sometimes they need a little bending and flexing at the end but they tend to work just fine in my M1911 and K31. I'm not sure what exactly they are made from but they are fairly waterproof, and easy enough to load from into the rifle, but they still not as good as a metal charger.

I only have the brown coloured ones so would like some of the other colours for my collection but they seem a little rarer. I never been able to see the metal Swiss ones in person before. I also read that you can use Mosin 7.62x54r and 7.5mm French and they work fine and with a little work even Swedish 6.5x55 Mauser clips.

If you enjoyed reading about "K31 Stripper Clips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!