Modern Soldier in the Revolution.....

PDA

C-grunt
December 24, 2006, 11:42 PM
How many revolutionary soldiers would a modern soldier with a standard load (10 mags) equal, in terms of firepower, if he traveled back in time to 1776?

If you enjoyed reading about "Modern Soldier in the Revolution....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MSGT9410
December 24, 2006, 11:51 PM
Imagine what a SAW gunner could do :uhoh:

jrfoxx
December 25, 2006, 12:00 AM
Depends how you look at it IMHO.In terms of accuracy and rate of fire, I'd say modern would reasonably equal 50 revolutionary ("on paper").However, If we put 25 revolutionary soldiers against 1 modern one with say, 10 mags in an M-16, my money would NOT be on the modern soldier.I just dont believe he could take out 50 revolutionary guys (or even 10 honestly) before one of them got him.
That said, I think it's likely you meant it the first way, so I voted 25.

Froggy
December 25, 2006, 12:06 AM
It is about more than rate of fire .... you have to consider effective range as well. Your modern-day soldier would be picking them off with aimed fire long before he was within their effective range. Further, he doesn't have to stand in order to reload each shot.

mustanger98
December 25, 2006, 12:23 AM
Are we talking Continental Regulars armed with muskets or militia armed with long rifles. By some accounts, riflemen of that time have been known to reach out 300yds, but a modern soldier with an M-16 quals to 500m last I heard. Then consider modern camo vs. Continental uniforms vs. buckskins/linsey-woolsey.

Lone_Gunman
December 25, 2006, 12:39 AM
Unless the Revolutionary soldiers were particularly stupid, why would they try to engage this modern soldier in some type of out-in-the-open attack?

Wouldn't they do better to fan out, and sneak up on him? Certainly, out of 50 men raised on the frontier and used to tracking animals, hunting, etc, at least one of them could sneak up on our modern soldier close enough to be in range with his long rifle and shoot him.

MSGT9410
December 25, 2006, 01:22 AM
I'm picturing 1 modern soldier vs. a line-formation of Redcoats. Sounds like a turkey shoot to me.

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
December 25, 2006, 01:48 AM
If you think about it though the times are different a revolutionary soldier didnt just rely on shot placement and rate of fire, they learned how to use those long guns as hand to hand fighting instruments and were probably better with a bayonet and a hatchet. However if you were to give a modern soldier a rifle and between 50 and 300 yards the revolutionary soldier wouldnt stand a chance. There 2 different styles of fighting, things and tactics aswell have changed between rev. and a modern soldier because of modern warefar.

Aikibiker
December 25, 2006, 03:12 AM
I am imagining this modern soldier on Breed's Hill side by side with General Prescott and his men. Me thinks the British might have lost that one then.

Jerry Morris
December 25, 2006, 04:26 AM
Assuming we are talking about a very well trained modern scout. He should be good for close to 300 red coats.

#1. We are talking smokeless powder, a modern scout should be able to down 3 to 5 red coats before they figure out where the shots came from and then bug out. If he continues the tactic, he might run out of targets. He surely does not want to take on massed troops, they might distract him while a cavalry troop cuts of his egress. And they could deplete his ammo, using up ammo on iffy shots.

#2. Nothing was said about support, so I assume this is a one shot trip. If time travel is possible, it is going to be hugely expensive. He will have to conserve his ammo for maximum effect. Nothing was said about a sidearm, but let's assume that is there for those pucker times. Add maybe 10 more red coats.

#3. If time travel were possible, I think it would be more efficient to send a technician trained to utilize resources to convert the Continental Army over to percussion locks and establish a supply line for those percussion caps. Just converting the existing muskets and rifles to percussion locks would put the British into a hardship. Add the Minie type bullet would add effect and further speed up the reloading process. Converting over to the self contained cartridge is something I think would over tax the supply line issues.

Retraining a troop for better insurgency tactics would also help. The rolling thunder tactic of WW I would be awe inspiring to the red coats. And it should be possible with careful planning. A potent raiding force could capture more powder, lead and other needed supplies with either tactic.

I would hazard the friendlies would consider a man equipped with todays weaponry an absolute Devils servant. Yup, it would be better to just blend in as a "wizard", similar to Franklin and others of the day.

Jerry

If you enjoyed reading about "Modern Soldier in the Revolution....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!