CCW - Any disadvantages to pocket carry?

PDA

marklbucla
December 25, 2006, 12:47 AM
Like the title says, are there any disadvantages to pocket carrying? I'd imagine that the draw would be slower, but anything else that might happen?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW - Any disadvantages to pocket carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jrfoxx
December 25, 2006, 12:55 AM
The gun getting snagged in the pocket could be an issue, but a gun designed for pocket carry (hammerless, shrouded hammer, edges of slide rounded/smothed, etc), and a proper pocket holster should elimininate that.Also, still might be difficult to draw if your pants/pocket are too tight or too deep.That said, I've never had a problem with my S&W m637 (yes, the one with an exposed hammer) and a simple Uncle Mike's IWB holster in any of my pants, but I rarely pocket carry anyway.

capbuster
December 25, 2006, 01:01 AM
I would venture to say that one should be careful not to place anything in that pocket except the pistol and its holster. A friend who carries remarked that he had accidently dropped his keys into the pocket in which he carried his pistol. No harm done but he stated that he was glad he did not have to fetch his pocket handgun while negotiating a trail around the keys.

EddieCoyle
December 25, 2006, 01:09 AM
I would venture to say that one should be careful not to place anything in that pocket except the pistol and its holster. A friend who carries remarked that he had accidentally dropped his keys into the pocket in which he carried his pistol. No harm done but he stated that he was glad he did not have to fetch his pocket handgun while negotiating a trail around the keys.

Very good advice. Not only can keys, or pens, or other things interfere with the draw, they can also get inside the trigger guard, knock safeties out of safe, etc.

Also, if you're going to pocket carry, get a pocket holster.

joesolo
December 25, 2006, 01:23 AM
For me, drawing from the pocket is a bit slower as mentioned, especially if seated. Watch stuff ya drop in your pocket on the gun and, last, ya gotta keep the lint and stuff out of the gun more frequently than other methods of carry. That's my 2 pennies worth. Merry Christmas.

Joe

DoubleTapDrew
December 25, 2006, 01:31 AM
Get a pocket holster for that handgun. I pocket carry a .380 on occasion and that sucker can rotate every which way so it's a forrest gump draw (you never know which end you're gonna git!), and like was said before, don't put anything else in there. A handful of keys where the backstrap should be is no fun. Practice drawing from it, make sure the holster won't come out with the gun, etc.

MarkDido
December 25, 2006, 01:48 AM
I have used a very nice leather Don Hume pocket holster for about 4 years now.

The additional "wing" on the muzzle end prevents the holster from rotating in a standard pocket. It does tend to rotate in larger "cargo pocket" type pants.

RNB65
December 25, 2006, 02:55 AM
Pocket carry using a kydex pocket holster is my preferred method of CC. I can draw from my pocket about as quickly as I can draw from an IWB while standing, but drawing while sitting is darn near impossible. Use a thin gun, pocket holster, and fashionably baggy pants and no one will suspect a thing.

Dysfunctional Individual
December 25, 2006, 03:32 AM
- lint
- gun-lubricant stains
- printing

JLStorm
December 25, 2006, 03:44 AM
Lint is definitely a factor in pocket and ankle carry, but not a huge deal.

The biggest disadvantage will be while sitting, especially in a car...you might as well have one arm tied behind your back lol.

I find ankle carry is a nice compromise when you will be in a car for a while...

just my .02

ID_shooting
December 25, 2006, 11:56 AM
I pocket carry a P3AT with the belt clip in right front pocket of my jeans, no holster. Nothing else goes in the pocket and no print, just a tiny bit of the grip stick out of my pocket but my shirt covers it. Draw is very easy and quick but the gun gets DIRTY with lint. I blow it out twice a week and stripped/cleaned once a week.

Technosavant
December 25, 2006, 12:04 PM
Pocket carry works well with small guns and big pockets. I wouldn't try anything larger than a J frame size, and then you need deep pockets (literally, not figuratively). Sometimes you may print a fair amount too, depending on the pants. In those cases, I have a little coin purse that I toss in that pocket too (it smooths out the bulge of the cylinder), and it manages to not get in the way of anything.

klover
December 25, 2006, 12:05 PM
It's not hard to have one for each sized pocket. I can't even tell it's there with a good fit. The trigger is well enclosed, and the draw very fast. NO print! Oil?: there's always plenty around my life:p

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=2961029#post2961029

straightShot
December 25, 2006, 12:10 PM
1. A hammerless, bobbed, or shrouded hammer gun is a good choice.

2. Get a good holster to fit your gun.

3. Practice a few draws of your gun, without ammo, on many different occasions. You'll get smoother and be less rusty by repeated practice over the course of time.

4. Practice drawing by reaching into your pocket and then drawing. Also, practice with your hand already inside your pocket on the grip. It also doesn't hurt to mix in a couple of weak-hand draws for the chance instance where your strong hand is injured in a defensive encounter. This can really be akward, but you don't want to have to do it for the first time when you need your gun most and have never tried it before.

5. As stated earlier, keep your cell phone, keys, and everything else out of the way. If you have a cell phone holder, attach it to your weak-hand side and learn to access it with your weak hand.

The only drawback that I've found is when you'd be sitting, especially with a seat belt on in an automobile. It can be very difficult to draw from a sitting position in a car.

Shoot straight,

Imaginos
December 25, 2006, 12:43 PM
I'm about to give up on pocket carry in favor of a holster that allows me to tuck my shirt over the gun. I have a Galco Speedmaster that I use strong side when I am wearing a blazer or coat, but that is awfully uncomfortable in Texas summers.

The only gun that I can carry in my pocket that I could get into action in a hurry is my .38 Special derringer, and that is not much of a gun to take to a gunfight.

My daily carry gun is a Ruger SP101. Even in my baggiest pleat front khakis, I can't get it out of the pocket fast enough to do me any good regardless if I am sitting OR standing. I live in Condition Yellow, so I would hope that I will have enough warning of impending trouble to allow myself to prepare to meet an assault, but I hate to bet my life on it.

MCgunner
December 25, 2006, 01:17 PM
One disadvantage is you can't just carry any firearm in a pocket, rather obvious, but you ain't gonna get your favorite 1911 into a pocket. That said, there are plenty of powerful, accurate handguns to chose from and in my mind, the .38 special is plenty enough for self defense.

I find it a LOT quicker to draw from a pocket IF I'm walking along with my hand in my pocket grasping my gun. It's not a sight that is suspicious to passers by, yet I can draw and fire an accurate shot at short range in well under a second this way where it takes me something around a second or a little more to get to an IWB under a T shirt for the shot. To me, that's a big advantage.

I do more cleaning of the guns. Lint will accumulate even in a pocket holster. If my gun prints, it looks like a wallet what with the holster in there. I carry in LARGE jean pockets, carpenter's jeans are ideal. I usually carry a revolver or my Kel Tec 9mm. But, the little P3AT is a perfect size pocket gun. I just buy my pockets big so I can carry the bigger, more powerful gun. I think .380 is adequate, but the caliber just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. I'd rather be totin' a +P .38 or 9mm. I'll be the first to say that a well placed shot from a .380 will shut the fight down. I just like a little extra energy from the gun so I can shoot hollow points and be sure they'll have adequate penetration.

Essex County
December 25, 2006, 02:43 PM
For someone that wears bib overalls often pocket carry is the logical solution. Over the years pockets seem to have gotten skimpier, but a seamstress can easily deepen them. A good pocket holster is a must... Essex

Huddog
December 25, 2006, 02:48 PM
S&W 642 in Uncle Mike's is my daily carry and all of the above is basically correct. This method works well for me but be sure it fits your lifesyle. My solution sitting in the vehicle consists of a different weapon easily reached.

RoyJackson
December 25, 2006, 07:13 PM
I carry a Taurus 85 Multi-Alloy in either a Galco or Mikas pocket holster. My gun has a hammer spur. With the Galco, the hammer may catch on my pocket on some occasions. No problem with the Mikas, however (the Mikas is a deeper holster covering more of the gun.

I have noticed some pockets will wear out faster with the pocket holsters. It's still my most common mode of carry, however.

Pocket carry does require a light weight gun. This limits your caliber choices. My little snubbie with 5 rounds of .38 Sp +P gives me all the security I think I'll need in a self defense situation, however. I do carry a speed loader for a reload. When I'm driving in an area I consider "suspect", I'll stash the gun under my thigh or between the seat and the console.

Car Knocker
December 25, 2006, 09:24 PM
but you ain't gonna get your favorite 1911 into a pocket.
At least two of us on this board pocket carry a Kimber Ultra Carry. :D

SniperStraz
December 25, 2006, 09:30 PM
Just use an Uncle Mike's. Either the pocket holster, ore the IWB holster and just cut off the clip with a razor blade. Either way if you put some deck tape on 'em it makes the draw alot easier. G'luck.

rmmoore
December 25, 2006, 09:33 PM
I "pocket carry" a Seecamp 32. However, this is not (95% of the time) my primary CCW. It is a backup to my primary. For that reason, I use a wallet holster and no one (even my wife) knows the difference. By utilizing an enclosed (for the most part) holster, lint doesn't seem to be an issue. Choose your tools based on what their intended use is, and accessorize accordingly. My biggest problem is the Seecamp seems a little small for my large hands. But for my intended use, it suffices quite nicely. Practice, practice, practice your draw with whatever, and however you carry. Muscle memory will help overcome small access issues, if you've trained properly. A malfunctioning firearm however, does spell a bad day at the office no matter how much mirror/range time you have!

Kor
December 25, 2006, 11:41 PM
The only disadvantage to pocket carry I have found(and which I cannot get around or deal with somehow) is that if your pocket gun is your only gun, and you carry in, say, your strong-side front pocket, it is practically impossible to do a weak-hand draw if your strong hand is injured or otherwise occupied. A weak-hand draw is slightly easier if the pocket gun is carried in a rear pocket, but I don't like that particular location due to its vulnerability to pickpockets.

My normal CCW is either a Kahr K40 or S&W Centennial Airweight carried strong-side IWB, with another Centennial Airweight in my weak-hand front pocket. In the past, I've carried a pocket-clipped folding knife in the same pocket directly aft of the gun butt(the folder being big enough to not get caught in the trigger guard), but NOTHING else - and nowadays, I've even moved the knife to a different location. I personally prefer J-frames as pocket guns, and especially the hammerless Centennials, over ANY semi-auto I've tried to pocket-carry; all the various corners and edges at the rear of a semi-auto seem to snag or hang up for me when trying to speed-draw from my front pocket.

SniperStraz
December 25, 2006, 11:49 PM
I think that if you carry a weapon, as hard as it is, you should always have a sense of presence as far as that weapon is concerned. This doesn't mean you should be constantly putting your hand in your pocket or feeling up your pants all the time. This just means that you should always feel the weight. There should be no danger of getting your pockets picked of a gun. No one is good enough to pick a gun outta my pocket.

tegemu
December 26, 2006, 09:23 AM
I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, .45 ACP 1911, in a Sam Andrews Pocket holster, with perfect ease. One of the advantages is the speed of access. When you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation, there is no problem with putting your hands in your pockets and having the gun already in hand if the situation becomes bad. With the gun already in hand and in a good pocket holster, it is instantly available and you don't telegraph your intentions. I use a pocket holster from Sam Andrews, www.andrewsleather.com .

shep854
December 26, 2006, 09:29 AM
For me, my Kel-Tec P11 prints less than my S&W 49. Trousers with vertical "slash" pockets (think slacks) are much easier to work with than the horizontal pockets on most jeans.

308win
December 26, 2006, 10:02 AM
I pocket carry a 642 in a MIka pocket holster. Loose pants, deeper pockets are good. Doesn't print; in the Mika no lint; holster stays put even in cargo pocket. There is a looooong thread on the S&W snubbies in the revolver forum.

Double Naught Spy
December 26, 2006, 10:46 AM
The biggest problem I have had with pocket carry is that few pockets want to carry bulk like guns. So before wearing out pockets, I go in and line the exterior of front pants pockets (which are basically sewn shut sleeves) with denin from old pant legs. When doing this with jeans, the result is nominal. The extra thickness does show through new new jeans sometimes, but seeing a pocket outline on both sides of the jeans isn't a big deal. The extra thickness also helps to hide the contents inside.

For me, drawing from the pocket is a bit slower as mentioned, especially if seated.

Seated, absolutely. Standing, we did some tests. It was slower compared to a belt holster if starting the draw from the start. However, if you are doing the dark parking lot scenario where maybe you can't walk around with your hand on a belt holstered gun, you can walk around with your hand in your pocket. Starting with your hand in your pocket and on your gun is faster than having to draw a concealed gun on a belt holster). Here, the big advantage is being able to walk around with your hand on the gun, clandestinely, and legally (no exposure).

up_onus
December 26, 2006, 12:13 PM
I think it depends....
I pocket carry and leave the grip out of the pocket...sort of an open carry? I would say I would beat MOST CCW holders on the draw...I have nothing in the way. I can also put my hand over the grip, kinda like im just puttin my hand in my pocket - cant do this with IWB...as its OBVIOUS what you are doing unless its on the small of your back which is still obvious to others that may be around you....

Second. Depends on the pocket! I often carry in my jacket pocket or sweatshirt pocket. This allows me to put my hand on my gun and even point from the location its in. How can you beat that? I dont even have to draw... This takes practice to shoot from this position though IF you want a realistic opportunity hit anything.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW - Any disadvantages to pocket carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!