Kahr P9 or PM 9

PDA

lhgdale
December 25, 2006, 12:55 AM
Hello, I am looking for my next gun. I have been looking at the Kahr and from the reviews I have read these are some good guns. I was just wanting to get some input on the these models. I am wanting to get a Clip Draw for this gun, so I will have easy carry options without a holster. Let me know what you guys think and how you like the guns. Thanks.

http://www.clipdraw.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr P9 or PM 9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RNB65
December 25, 2006, 02:27 AM
I have a P9 and like it very much. The PM9 is a little too small.

I think the clipdraw thing is a gimmick. Not to mention that carrying a loaded semi-auto with an exposed trigger well is an accident waiting to happen. Use an IWB or pocket holster.

lhgdale
December 25, 2006, 02:54 AM
I am pretty sure I want the P9, I have small hands and from reviews I have read the gun is ideal for small hands. I am still thinking about the clip draw. :rolleyes:

wally
December 25, 2006, 10:30 AM
Depending on where you carry and how much you sit you might very well appreciate the shorter OAL of the PM9.

I've both a P40 and a PM40, I carry the PM40 a lot more. Unless you want to add night sights, take a look at the much less expensive Kahr CW9 if you decide to go with the P9. I bought one to practice with for cheap shooting and to not have to clean my carry gun all the time. Although my initial experience was negative because of a frame defect, Kahr fixed the issue reasonably quickly and its been perfect in function since its return. I pretty much run a box of ammo thru it everytime out and clean it infrequently, had it not quite a year now so its probalby over 600 rounds mostly cheap CCI aluminum Blazer or Monarch steel cased, although I did test it with the Winchester 147gr Ranger-T JHP I would use as carry ammo if I would carry a 9mm instead of a .40S&W.

The P & PM have Polygonal rifling so its not recommended to use lead bullets, the CW serices has conventional rifling so lead reloads are OK. Since Polygonal rifling claims to give higer velocities in the same barrel length, this might be a disadvantage of the CW guns in theory at least. As long as I can buy cheap 9mm for only $20-30 more per case than it costs me for lead bullet reloading compoments its pretty moot for now, might not be if ammo prices keep rising as fast as they have been recently.

IMHO, +1 to forget about the clip draw. A clipon IWB holster from Gunmate or Uncle Mike's is a far better choice and only costs ~$10.

--wally.

redneckrepairs
December 25, 2006, 10:47 AM
I have a p9 and a pm9 . To be honest were i only going to own one i would compromise and go with the p9 covert, which is a p9 cut down to the butt size of the pm9 . That way i would have the sight plain and recoil system of the p9 with the concealibility of the pm ( normaly the butt is the hard part to conceal not the slide ) . When deep concealment isnt an issue just slap the 7 rnd mag in and you have basicly the same grip as the p9 . Its more or less the best of both worlds unless your shure the shorter slide would have some advantage for you .

fineredmist
December 25, 2006, 10:53 AM
I have had a P9 for several years and the only time it did not go bang was with defective ammo and that was very infrequent. The gun IMHO is as good as it gets for a carry gun, small, light and reliable, you can't ask for more. My carry load is Federal +p+ which turns this into a real performer. IWB holster is probably the better choice as it gives a little more concealment than a clip and I believe a bit more security.

lhgdale
December 25, 2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the info guys!

wally
December 25, 2006, 12:12 PM
I agree the butt is the hardest part to hide, but if you have to sit a lot while carrying, barrel length can make a big difference in comfort depending on where you carry. Personally I'd rather have the option going the opposite way -- PM upper on P frame so I'd get comfort and an extra shot. I've enough "love handle" to cover the extra grip length nicely :)

Pays to think about how you will actually carry it before choosing.

--wally.

Indy_Guy_77
December 27, 2006, 04:11 PM
Don't forget to look at the CW-9, too. Basically a lower 'trim level' than the P-9. Can use the $ saved to buy a few more mags and ammo.

up_onus
December 27, 2006, 04:38 PM
WHAT ABOUT THE SPRINGFIELD ARMORY EMP???
dangit!

lhgdale
December 28, 2006, 01:25 AM
I went to the local gun shop today and was able to get a feel for each of them. I think the PM9 would be a better choice for me. I can always carry with or without the extended mag, where the P9 can't get any shorter. What I have heard the Double spring in the PM9 was not as reliable than the P9? I also like the fact I can pocket carry if I would like and maybe ditch the clipdraw idea.

SSN Vet
December 28, 2006, 10:37 AM
I chose a PT-111 over the CW9.....and though I like it, I have a little regret over not getting the Kahr.

Anyhow.....I've carried the PT-111 for 9 months with a clip draw and here's my $.02...

clip draw is ......

1. surprisingly secure......meaning your not going to have your piece fall out on you and it never shifts position. I carry at ~4 o'clock with the clip on my pants and under my belt.

2. limits you to a straigh up and down cant....unless your going to mount it cock-eyed on the frame....which I can't see working.

3. allows limited rotation, which I like, as I can easilly rock the gun forward if I have to sit in the car. It returns to verticle position when I stand up.

4. adds next to nothing to the thickness of the package being carried.

5. conceals very well for me....I usually were a cover garment (fleece vest, sweeter, sweatshirt, untucked polo shirt) but I can effectively tuck it under a dress shirt as well.

6. makes for easy transitions....into/out of car, house, office, etc....

7. makes for a handy draw, but a cumbersome return (can't really say re-holster). I use my off hand to pull the waist of my pants out and tight and then slip the clip over the taut edge.

8. is not going to protect the gun from your sweaty bod, or your bod from cold steel. I almost always were an undershirt (still uniform of the day) and my piece is stainless, so this doesn't bother me.

and for the big question......SAFETY!

MY PT-111 is the older DAO and I carry one in the pipe, with the manual safety on and under these conditions I feel my clip draw makes for a safe carry.

I do not think I would use it on a piece that has no manual safety. Even though I never have had any snagging issues while carrying. Mounting the clip draw with one in the pipe and no manual safety would present to much risk of a ND (right into my a$$) for me to accept.

As far as your P9 PM9 selection....I'd think it hinges on wether or not you want to pocket carry.

lhgdale
December 28, 2006, 12:11 PM
SSN Vet: Thanks for the info. I have read some reviews of the Clipdraw in gun magazines and all have been good but it doesn't seem anyone likes the idea. Maybe some are set in there ways?:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr P9 or PM 9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!