russian mosin m44

PDA

hunley1864
December 25, 2006, 04:20 AM
hey just bought my self a cheap xmas present purchased the rifle earlier this week at Kieslers in indiana. this place is pretty wild inside a vietnam era tank on the showroom floor. any way he has over 1500 of them for sale at 79 dollars each. dont know much about the m44 other than they were made in 1944 before the sks which replaced them. I own a chinese sks in which i like.does anybody have any info or feedback on the m44. thanks chris

If you enjoyed reading about "russian mosin m44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
December 25, 2006, 04:22 AM
This site will probably have almost everything you will need: http://7.62x54r.net/

You might want to look here too before you take it to the range: http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/cleaning.htm

I have a M44 and a 91/30... They are a lot of fun to shoot!!

BamBam-31
December 25, 2006, 04:31 AM
Be prepared for the "BOOOOM!" ;)

George S.
December 25, 2006, 01:10 PM
BOOOOM is right!! And a stout recoil and a muzzle flash that you could use to cook marsmellows! Get a shoulder pad or a slip-on recoil pad and good earplugs.

The M44 will be more accurate with the bayonet extended; it acts like a stabilizer.

There is a lot of milsurp 7.x62x54R ammo available and it' cheap. All of the milsupr ammo is corrosive so it's important to immediately get rid of the corrosive salts after shooting. You can use plain water (either cold or warm) or Windex with Ammonia. Just soak the bolt face, chamber and bore and wipe it down. When you get home, clean as usual.

Winchester, Wolf and a couple others makes soft-point ammo for hunting and those cases are reloadable (the milsurp is not). You can find new bulk brass from many online vendors so you can reload your own to cut down on the recoil and maybe even improve the accuracy of the rifle.

Now that have one Mosin, you will need more. Many more. It's a sickness :)

Cosmoline
December 25, 2006, 05:27 PM
There are hundreds of threads on this, so please remember the search function.

bartsimpson123844
December 25, 2006, 05:51 PM
"The M44 will be more accurate with the bayonet extended; it acts like a stabilizer."

Not really. The sights on the M44's were originally sighted in with the bayonet extended. When you fold the bayonet down, it messes with the harmonics of the gun or something.

Cosmoline
December 25, 2006, 06:07 PM
The problem comes when you fold the M-44's bayonet and it presses on the stock, causing the stock to impinge the barrel. This does impact accuracy. If you dont' want to extend it, just remove it. It's held in by a simple bolt.

badbowtie
December 25, 2006, 06:12 PM
I have one that I just got and shot about 100 rounds through it saturday was allot of fun and real accurate. I would like to here more feedback about the different rear sights like the ghost ring.

gbran
December 25, 2006, 06:36 PM
Speaking of recoil, ya'll be carefull with aftermarket muzzle brakes. They slip on, turn and lock behind the front sight and have an allen screw to lock them down.

I had one that for some reason wasn't lined up properly and blew up and off the end of my barrel at the range. One piece came back and shattered my safety glasses, cut my eyebrow and gave me a black eye. The rest of the thing launched 30yds down range.

It didn't ruin my rifle and I haven't put a muzzle brake on since.

Cosmoline
December 25, 2006, 06:39 PM
Mojo sights make great double apertures. Use the search feature for more info.

sctman800
December 25, 2006, 11:28 PM
Mosins are neat, I have 91/30, 38, 44 and probably like the M38 best. One thing about steel cased mil-surp ammo is the cases will split. It can kind of freak you out when you first have it happen, but it is fairly common. Jim.

.45FMJoe
December 26, 2006, 05:04 PM
Lots of fun at night!

http://mysite.verizon.net/resreu7d/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/muzzleflash.jpg

JTW Jr.
December 26, 2006, 06:51 PM
gbran good to hear you mention the safety glasses. I am surprised at the # of picts posted on various forums of people shooting without safety glasses.

your post is a great reason to wear em. I always toss a couple extra pair in my bag for the range for bystanders.

If you enjoyed reading about "russian mosin m44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!