new member w/new .357

PDA

pitbull8151
December 25, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hi all,
I am just checking in to get some opinions on a good gun cleaner and oil.
I just recieved a Tarus .357 model 66ss6.
What are some good cleaners to remove powder residue after firing several rounds.
Any good lubricants??...I have Royal Purple synthetic...

If you enjoyed reading about "new member w/new .357" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
December 25, 2006, 05:33 PM
I really really like the M-Pro style cleaner and CLP. They're effective without being nearly as toxic as the traditional ones. Hoppes has a line of them out now too. With CLP just remember a little goes a long way. You don't need to put on more than a thin layer. With your revolver the biggest cleaning challenge comes from residue in the chambers, esp. the buildup from shooting a lot of .38 Special. A good set of brushes is helpful, preferably a wee bit oversized.

NailGun
December 25, 2006, 05:41 PM
Howdy Pitbull, and welcome to the forum.
Hope you enjoy your new Taurus...safely..:)
For cleaning, I just use Hoppe's #9 to get the black stuff out, then use Break Free CLP as a lube/protective coating. It may require some scrubbing with a toothbrush (never a steel brush) to remove the powder fouling from the cylinder. Nice Gun!

MikeWSC
December 25, 2006, 06:05 PM
Pitbull8151,

Nylon brushes with some hopps #9 works great, use a cotton .38/.357 swab
through the cylinders and bore. I found a great new product made in Michigan
called Gunzilla for use in the bore. Its non-toxic, found it down at Camp Perry
durring the National Matches. I've used it on my pistols,rifles and shotguns.:D
Works great at keeping the fouling out of the barrel, I think its available on-line.

My wife and I both shoot .357's and also keep a .38/.357 Bore Snake in our
range bag.

Hope your having a great Christmas and a warm welcome to THR .

SJshooter
December 25, 2006, 10:28 PM
Breakfree CLP and FP-101 (by Shooter's Choice) are excellent... you can use them to lube, clean and protect. They smell better than Hoppe's too.

Monkeybear
December 25, 2006, 11:06 PM
Breakfree CLP is what I use + a little Hoppes #9 solvent for the chambers and barrel. Just get the Hoppes Kit for 9mm/.357/38spl and a non spray can bottle of CLP.

ArchAngelCD
December 26, 2006, 03:43 AM
Welcome to the forum!!

Hoppes #9 solvent and Remington Gun Oil.
Lead Away cloth when needed.

SJshooter
December 26, 2006, 09:33 PM
Also good for reference:

http://attrition.org/technical/firearms/357clean/

http://www.geocities.com/kemays/cleanrev.html

If you enjoyed reading about "new member w/new .357" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!