Need Some Tech. Help

PDA

pdh
May 27, 2003, 12:50 PM
Hopefully I can explain this so you all know where I'm coming from.

I have a load for my 700VS Rem 22-250.The load is 32.5gr of IMR 3031 pushing the 55gr sierra HPBT.Muzzle velocity is 3500 FPS.
The max load out of sierra manual is 34.1gr and velocity is 3700 FPS.

I am using Win brass,neck sizing them and using Rem #91/2 primers.I also trim cases back .010 from max length.

No signs of high pressure.Primers look good.No cratering.No shiney marks on head of brass from extractor but..... on a few of the cases,when I go to extract the brass after firing,when I lift the bolt handle it does not want to go all the way to the end of the cycle(?).It acts like it catches and you have to apply extra force or torque to snap it on up.Then pulling the bolt back and extracting the case,everything is perfectly normal.(hopefully you all understand what I'm trying to explain).

Now,I have tested with 2 other powders.BLC(2) and Varget.The bolt does not act this way at all on any of the loads from these 2 powders.Just on loads with the IMR3031.Even a load of 31.6gr(3400FPS) of this powder done the samething.
Could it be the brand of cases??High Pressure???Like I said, not all of the Win cases act like this.
The load shoots splended.Can average 1/2 inch groups.
Is this anything to worry about??
Thanks
Paul

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Some Tech. Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Volpe
May 27, 2003, 02:14 PM
Sounds like the sticky bolt syndrom to me. I wouldnt consider myself an expert but I have been reloading for over 30 years. Get a good set of blade mikes or a good set of vernieers and measure before and after just ahead of the extractor groove. I'm guessing but anything over .0005 inch is too much and a sign of high pressure. I seem to remember reading somewhere that any measurable difference is too much. Shiney marks, primer condition are just a couple, sticky bolt lift is another sigh of too much pressure. I'm just guessing here but for whatever its worth thats my .02 worth....

pdh
May 27, 2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks Volpe. I will do some measuring.
Man,this load shots so good. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Some Tech. Help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!