K31 hunting magazine

PDA

BillinNH
December 26, 2006, 02:09 PM
You folks who hunt with your K31, what do you do for a hunting legal magazine? Technically, I should have a mag that cannot hold more than five rounds. I 'm reluctant to modify my 6-rounder, in fact, I don't even see how to take it apart. Any suggestions, links, etc,?

Willing to pay a reasonable price for a solution.

Thanks.

Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "K31 hunting magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mp510
December 26, 2006, 02:21 PM
Shotgun hunters plug their tubular magazines when they need to reduce the capacity for hunting. Maybe some sort of plug can be worked out.

Sam Adams
December 26, 2006, 03:49 PM
I'm interested in going the other way - to a larger capacity mag, say 10, like the Enfields. Does anyone know if anyone is selling such a thing?

DWARREN123
December 26, 2006, 05:12 PM
To take the magazine apart just tilt the follower to one side and it will come out with the spring. Look at it carefully and you will see how it comes out.
You might be able to put a block in the bottom under the spring to get a 5 or 4 round magazine.

El Tejon
December 26, 2006, 05:18 PM
Why not remove the mag and use it as a single shot? IS that permissible in your state?:confused:

kungfuhippie
December 26, 2006, 05:30 PM
move to california, here you can have a 10 round magazine to hunt with:eek:

I can use the sks without plugs or new mags. And since our deer are little mal-nourished critters the 7.62x39 round is overkill:neener:

BillinNH
December 26, 2006, 06:07 PM
Dwarren123 says:

<To take the magazine apart just tilt the follower to one side and it will come out with the spring. Look at it carefully and you will see how it comes out.
You might be able to put a block in the bottom under the spring to get a 5 or 4 round magazine.>

Thanks, Dwarren, it came right out once you told me how. A rectangular block under the whole spring assembly should do it and it should be legal and reversible. I'll post my solution.

El Tejon says:

<Why not remove the mag and use it as a single shot? IS that permissible in your state?>

LOL! New Hampshire is a fairly gun-tolerant state. But we have to limit rifle mags to five rounds and shotgun mags to three rounds when hunting. To tell the truth, I don't know anyone who was ever checked about this while hunting in NH. I have a plug for my shottie and a block I put in the mag of my SKS for hunting, really not a big deal.

Bill

Novus Collectus
December 26, 2006, 06:42 PM
I'm interested in going the other way - to a larger capacity mag, say 10, like the Enfields. Does anyone know if anyone is selling such a thing?The early Shmidt Rubins had ten round magazines. Not sure if they would work in the later K31s though.

44AMP
December 26, 2006, 07:08 PM
A 5 round limit for a manual repeater? Doesn't sound right. Check closely, perhaps you have confused a 5 rnd limit for an autoloader as applying to your straight pull bolt action.

Sorry I don't know your states laws, but there are many leverguns that hold more than 5, and I'm pretty sure they are ok in NH. Or they used to be.

Check the wording carefully, as splitting hairs might get you into/ or out of trouble. There is an actual difference between "a magazine holding no more than 5 rounds" and a magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds". But a game warden might not recognise it at first.

Don't know what is actually written, but I would expect some sense from a state the puts "Live Free or Die" on it's license plates.

gezzer
December 26, 2006, 10:24 PM
You are in NH forget about it it is only semi-autos that are restricted to 5 rounds in the magazine.

A magazine holding more than 5 rounds may not be used to hunt in NH. Note the word holding that means a 30 round mag may be used if it is only holding 5 rounds. It does not mean capable of holding more than 5 rounds.

Game wardens in hunter saftey class make a point of this fact.

Live Free or Die

Boxerrider
December 26, 2006, 10:51 PM
http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/
Lots of good Swiss rifle stuff here. At the bottom you can find a link to the K31 manual in PDF format.

Enjoy!

If you enjoyed reading about "K31 hunting magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!