Christmas range report: Savage Mark 1, .22LR

PDA

the naked prophet
December 26, 2006, 08:05 PM
I went out about noon and put 550 rounds through my Christmas present from my wife.

The Savage Mark 1 (http://www.savagearms.com/markig.htm) is a simple single-shot bolt action .22 with Savage's "Accu-trigger." Even with the hardwood Monte Carlo stock, it's pretty light weight and handles very easily. The sights are simple U-notch and bead (gun has scope mount dovetails in the reciever, but I'm not going to use a scope) and adjust for elevation with a serrated ramp under the rear sight blade.

I really enjoyed the gun. Most fun I've had in years with my pants on.

Using bulk Federal 36 grain high velocity ammo, I was getting 3 inch groups at 50 yards off a simple rest (with my old glasses, looking into the sun, and I forgot my hat). Shooting from standing up, unsupported, I was keeping every shot on the 6 inch "Orange peel" targets at 50 yards.

The trigger is light and crisp, about like an older S&W double action revolver being fired in single action.

I tossed some empty water bottles and short sections of 2x4 out on the range (I picked them up afterwards) and spent the entire afternoon punting them around the range. I set up some .38 special cases at 15 yards and punched a bunch of holes through them.

The only problem is that ejection wasn't 100% Only about half of the cases made it out of the gun, for the rest I just tilted or shook the gun and they fell out. Twice, the extractor didn't grab the shell and I had to pick it out with my fingernail, which was easy to do. For a plinking or squirrel rifle, this isn't a problem.

I don't know how much the gun was, but I think it MSRPs at around $170. There is no reason that every person in the world should NOT have one of these. This is the best Christmas present I've ever had, and probably my favorite gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Christmas range report: Savage Mark 1, .22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Davo
December 27, 2006, 01:06 AM
Sounds great, and like alot of fun...now shoot the heck out of it!!!

sm
December 27, 2006, 01:21 AM
:)

Thank you for sharing! I still believe in the single shot .22 rifle.
This is a good looking gun, metal to wood fit is nice and, it "feels right" when you shoot it.

Fun Factor is a given. Great for new shooters, teaching, and getting back to basics.

Fed Bulk we used also, the standard velocity CCI shot a bit tighter for us.
Fun deal is with this gun/ these single shots...one can get the least expensive .22 ammo - one might not normally use for concern of feeding and extracting ,and have a ball with it!

Might find it shoots "really well" to "best" in your gun.

Congrats!

Dave Markowitz
December 27, 2006, 10:41 AM
I have a Savage Mark IIGL, basically the repeating version of the Mark I. I've found that if the chamber gets gummed up with bullet lube, extraction can be iffy. Take a Q-Tip wet with your gun cleaner of choice and swab out the chamber, then dry it with the other end. The extraction problems should stop.

the naked prophet
December 27, 2006, 02:27 PM
Dave, the problem was mostly with ejection - only two of 550 rounds failed to extract. As in, the shell would come out, but instead of popping out of the gun, it would just fall off the extractors onto the place where you drop the fresh round for loading.

Dave Markowitz
December 27, 2006, 05:08 PM
tnp,

Are you working the bolt briskly? That'll help. If you are then there may be a problem, but I'm sure Savage will fix it.

the naked prophet
December 27, 2006, 07:36 PM
If I work the bolt briskly, it gets slightly better. I disassembled the bolt, and it seems that the extractor on the right is nice and sharp, the extractor on the left isn't the same. It's not blued like the other one, it's in the white and it's rounded, not sharp. It can't grab the rim, don't know if it's supposed to.

There's about twice as much space between the extractor edge and the bolt face as the rim takes up. If I work the bolt slowly, the extractor pulls out the shell and then drops it immediately because it doesn't hold it at all.

Is that how it's supposed to be, or should the extractor hold the empty cartridge against the face of the bolt?

If you enjoyed reading about "Christmas range report: Savage Mark 1, .22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!