Remington .22 Golden Bullets?

PDA

TX_Shooter
December 26, 2006, 08:24 PM
Auh man!! ... and I thought I got a great deal from wal-mart.

I picked up a bonus pack of 550 22. cal Remington Golden Bullets (rimfire hollow-points) for less then $10.00 to shoot out of my sons Marlin 795.

When doing a search, others says they suck, but no reason why. So anyone here can tell me why?

Many thanks and have a great New Year!! :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington .22 Golden Bullets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jackal
December 26, 2006, 08:28 PM
Well, they are decent in the accuracy dept., they have also always been reliable for me. However, they do leave an annoying gold powdery stuff all over the action. The bullets are lightly coated with the gold crap, they are not jacketed. For bulk shooting, I choose to spend the extra $1-$2 for the Federal Champion bulk pack. My target 10/22 will put 10 shots into a quarter size group at 50yds with the Federal's.

TX_Shooter
December 26, 2006, 08:31 PM
Jackal quoted:

My target 10/22 will put 10 shots into a quarter size group at 50yds with them.

Now is this w/ the Golden Bullets or Federals?

Thanks and thank you for your quick feedback.

Gary G23
December 26, 2006, 08:32 PM
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

bartsimpson123844
December 26, 2006, 08:39 PM
All of my .22's like them except my Remington 597(pretty ironic, eh?), which gets AT LEAST one FTFire per magazine. My 597 really likes the Federal bulk, though. I think I will stick with that and try some CCI later.

TX_Shooter
December 26, 2006, 08:54 PM
yea the last set of previous rounds we shot were the CCI Mini Mags and Winchesters, both shot great, but man... 550 qty 22. longs for less then 10 bucks. wow!

Well I guess I will have to shoot and find out how they are.

rockstar.esq
December 26, 2006, 09:07 PM
They used to be better. I'm now completely sold on the Federal bulk packs. The "Thunderbolt" ammo works to perfection perhaps due to the lack of crappy gold stuff coating them.

JonB
December 26, 2006, 09:09 PM
I shoot Wally-world Remington Golden Bullets all the time with my Marlin 60S (for gophers). I had a few jams last time out last spring but that was mostly due to a very dirty action. They shoot well and hit the gophers I was aiming at so no complaints. 10 bucks for 550, a guy can't go wrong with that.

270Win
December 26, 2006, 09:21 PM
Remington rimfire ammo has universally poor for me. Accuracy is bad, and I get many misfires. They also jam in my Ruger 10/22 more than any other brand of rimfire ammo.

But .22s are notoriously finicky and I'm sure there are many out there which will, in fact, LOVE the Remingtons. So I hope yours is one of them, and that you have better luck than I did!

Avenger29
December 26, 2006, 09:26 PM
The golden bullets are fine for the price. Some feel that they are a little dirtier than others, but most of the bulk-pack grade .22 ammo is a little dirty.

My 10/22 doesn't love any bullet in the accuracy department, but it will eat most without much complaint. Main problems I have had are the occasional troublesome magazine and one box of fed. bulk pack that was crap.

TX_Shooter
December 26, 2006, 10:17 PM
The golden bullets are fine for the price. Some feel that they are a little dirtier than others, but most of the bulk-pack grade .22 ammo is a little dirty.

Well I just open the box. The .22's looks like they were just thrown into the box.

All 550 of them. lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/IMG_3332.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/IMG_3335.jpg

Thanks all for the feedback on these Golden Bullets.

Avenger29
December 26, 2006, 10:45 PM
Its a bulk-pack. Thats they way every one of them, regardless be it Winchester, Federal, or Remington is packed. Smaller boxes are more organized- such as the 50 round cardboard boxes or the 50 and 100 round plastic boxes. A brick is usally composed of 50 round boxes.

The only way to know if they are good for your .22 is to go and shoot them. If they work, great! If they don't, you are only out a few dollars. Try other brands. Odds are that they will work fine.

I don't mind the bulk packs being loose. I just grab about 10 rounds at a time and load them into my mags.

Jackal
December 26, 2006, 11:10 PM
Its a bulk-pack. Thats they way every one of them, regardless be it Winchester, Federal, or Remington is packed.

That is true, with one exception. The Federal Champion bulk pack. The ammo is packaged very well in 50rd boxes and enclosed inside a bigger box, not loosely thrown in. Thats why I buy it. Most of my guns seem to like it, except a Buckmark I had that would only eat Remington's. Here's a pic of my last target using Federal Champion bulk pack. Most of those are 10rd groups and that was just informal plinking with a bipod, sitting, 50 yards, with a dirty barrel. The gun was my 11 pound target 10/22. Oh, and those big holes in the corners? Those are where the push-pins were holding my target up. After I ran out of dots, they just looked too tempting.

rangerruck
December 26, 2006, 11:26 PM
i think of them , and i think....mmehh... they can be dirty, stinky, and inconsistent, but yet , they can be plinkable. so go nuts. don't expect dime size groups at 50 , though.

swingset
December 26, 2006, 11:38 PM
So, we have a consensus.

They're good, reliable, bad, decent, crappy, so-so and ehhhh.....

:rolleyes:

NEWSFLASH:

.22's are HIGHLY ammo sensitive. Take 2 of any model, and both will like and favor a different brand. There's no "magic" .22. Some are better than others, some are more consistent, but if you own enough rimfires, you'll quickly find that they all like something different.

trickyasafox
December 27, 2006, 12:28 AM
i really like them. they are the only bulk pack that work in all my 22s. federals are a little more accurate, but not peppy enough to cycle everything reliably.

dstorm1911
December 27, 2006, 12:40 AM
They are the only bullets that will not feed worth a cr@p in either of my Hamerli's nor my step daughters Winchester 190 nor my other daughters Marlin 60 nor any of the 4 Ruger 10/22s nor a Romanian mod 69 the only thing they do work decent in is my Old Remington single shot that was made in 1934, everything else they just jam jam jam or misfire. Its so bad we tossed the 2 boxes my wife had picked up and use nothing but Federal when it comes to the bulk pack stuff, the two Hamerlis eat everything EXCEPT the Remmy junk.

Nhsport
December 27, 2006, 04:40 AM
There is what I believe to be two or three different factors going on here.
Every different rimfire rifle or pistol will be different, the only way to find out what ammo it favors is to get out there and shoot them all.
I have found that the Rem Golden will varry quite a bit from box to box.Some function decent and another bought at the same time and place is full of duds.I have taken the duds apart and believe the problem to be a difference in the primer compound that is breaking loose from the proper location in a semi auto firearm. I have had boxes where I can hardly get ten shots in a row to fire in my 10/22 and many of the ones that do fire seem to have erratic ignition. the actual sound level will varry from shot to shot and accuracy is in the dumper. This same box works fine in a revolver,bolt or lever gun so my theory is that the primer compound is brittle and the semi auto action of slamming the round into the chamber is breaking loose some of the primer .
Different folks use their rimfires in different ways. One guy with a scope on his rifle who only shots off the bench at targets likely isn't going to be happy with some of the bulk ammos,another guy who is just blasting away at tin cans with his kids might not be able to tell the difference between a 1/2" group and a 1 1/2" group. I am not knocking either guy--I am both of them from time to time
I won't accept ammo that doesn't function my firearms and I don't buy any more Rem Golden as it is too much of a crap shoot

dfaugh
December 27, 2006, 10:33 AM
I quit trying to use them several years ago. They weren't accurate, too many duds, feed issues, etc. In a variety of different guns. If you're just plinking, and they work most of the time in your gun, use 'em. But there's alot of other choices out there that I've found to be much better. We're only talking $2-4 more per brick.

trickyasafox
December 27, 2006, 03:15 PM
i'll definately concede they aren't the most accurate. i really wanted the winchester bulk packs to work in my guns, as they shot great, but fed about as well as. . . . . .well crappy. i wanted a pun there and totally fell on my face.

Zero_DgZ
December 27, 2006, 03:33 PM
My Federal Champion bulk packs are loose packed... I think they're 525 rounders, though, not 550's. I got them from Cabelas not long ago.

I've had much better luck with the Federals than the Golden Bullets. The Federal Champions are coated in coppery crap instead of brasslike crap, but it doesn't tend to rub off as easily. I prefer solid lead bullets, though, and so does my P22. My Mossberg 702 will feed anything, though. I could probably give it a magazine full of rocks and it would at least chamber the first one.

When Federals are left in the open the corrode and the bullets turn green...

Technosavant
December 27, 2006, 08:49 PM
I have found that my guns tend to be accurate with them (Ruger 22/45, Remington 597), but I get a fair amount of FTFs with them. The 597 plays nicer than the Ruger, but methinks quality control on the ammo is spotty. I do not believe that the cases are properly primed. I have another box of Winchester .22LR than I plan to try if I ever finish off that box of Golden Bullets in the closet.

Don't Tread On Me
December 27, 2006, 09:21 PM
I think that the Federal bulk pack is a bit higher quality than the Rem Golden bullets in that they've given me far, far less jams and problems.

However, the Golden bullet has proved more accurate for me. I can actually form a group with touching holes with the Rem sometimes, the Federal sprays like a shotgun pattern all the time. Even the Winchester bulk pack was more reliable than the Remington for me, and those Winchesters have an obscenely large HP and difficult to feed profile. This was in a Ruger 10/22 that *should* be able to eat anything with that sloppy chamber.

I like Wolf Match Target for a very accurate, yet low cost target ammo. And CCI Mini-mags are consistent, reliable, powerful and accurate for hunting needs. For blasting, Fed is my choice.

tubeshooter
December 27, 2006, 09:36 PM
They're OK, I guess. Reasonably priced.

My guns seem to do so-so with them overall. No feed problems. Can't say much for or against them, but I don't care for the gold whatever-it-is on my guns.

Not a big enough deal to where I would never use them. They seem cleaner than Thunderbolts, at least. Fine for plinking.

RCR29
December 27, 2006, 09:39 PM
Remington golden bullets will not work in my 10/22. They won't even cycle reliable in my Remington 552. Federal 550 pack is much better quality ammo than the remington.

carterbeauford
December 27, 2006, 09:44 PM
Of the 200 rounds I've fired from this box, no less than 10% of them have failed to fire in my S&W 22A. Will update when I finish the rest of the box, which should be soon so I can switch back to Winchester.

aka108
December 27, 2006, 10:18 PM
I've had too may failure to fire issuses with Remington rimfire bullets. Won't go on second or third strikes. Can remove the cartridege, turn it 90 to 180 degrees and it fires. Bad primer spread at factory I guess.

CZguy
December 28, 2006, 01:21 AM
For casual plinking, both Remington and Federal bulk pack work well. The only difference between the two, is about a dollar in price at Wal-Mart. :D

TX_Shooter
December 28, 2006, 01:26 AM
Well I hope to shoot fine w/ my marlin 795, if not, hope my sons little Rossi can put them to use. If not, they are going in the trash or maybe take them back to walmart and &(*&(&* to them and get a exchange, but over 10 dollars, probably not worth my time.

Walmart usually takes back anything for an exchange :evil:

evan price
December 28, 2006, 06:26 AM
I've never had a problem with the 550 pack golden bullets, and I even expected it with my new Walther P22 but surprise surprise, they go bang every time and have decent accuracy.
Yep, they are all 550 dumped in a big box. What do you want for the free extra 50 rounds, more cardboard?:D

By the way you can get the CCI bulk pack of 500 (and they are packed in ten 50-rd little boxes inside) for $9.99 at my local gun store and this is what I squirrel away for rainy days, I only use the 550 round bucket o'bullets for plinking. Who wants to be out there when SHTF trying to dig handfuls of .22's out of the big box to dump in your pockets?

dfaugh
December 28, 2006, 09:09 AM
I like Wolf Match Target for a very accurate, yet low cost target ammo.

Me too...the most accurate and consisitant load I've found for my guns.

But, like all good things, they're no longer cheap. The first brick I bought (almost gone) wa $17 at the gun show. This time they were $34, so a I passed figuring I could get 'em cheaper elsewhere. Nope. price has essentially doubled in a year!

TX_Shooter
December 28, 2006, 12:54 PM
Pretty impressive for Golden Bullets w/ 10/22 (I think):

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=32334&stc=1&d=1133999777

Found it on here

Lonestar.45
December 28, 2006, 04:42 PM
Just because someone trashes them on the errornet doesn't mean they aren't any good or they suck. Don't jump on that bandwagon so soon, you have to try them first.

Matter of fact, that's all I try to shoot out of my Marlin 60, and have for 20+ years now. My Marlin loves 'em, but hates just about anything Federal. Doesn't mean Federal sucks, just that my gun doesn't like them.

That's a good grouping there, I'd say you're doing just fine with them, as long as the 10/22 cycles! Impressive for any ammo.

Vern Humphrey
December 28, 2006, 04:48 PM
I use Remington bulk pack in the Holy Grail, my 1938 Colt Woodsman. Winchesters, which shoot very accurately and reliably in my Kimber M82 will not feed reliably in the Woodsman, due to the wide mouth. The Remingtons are reliable, and I routinely shoot 1 3/4" groups at 25 yards from a modified Weaver position with the Holy Grail.

Gordon
December 28, 2006, 08:48 PM
They function fine in my Browning auto rifle, my Marlin 39's, my Win 62a ,my Rem and Win chester bolt action target guns,and my 40 various .22 revolvers and pistols.:neener:

wally
December 28, 2006, 09:31 PM
I have severe leading problems with the Remington Thunderbolts someone else mentioned.

OTOH they change things from time to time. I nearly quit buying the Golden Bullet a year or so ago because the "waxy" coating just wouldn't feed in my Ruger 10/22 rotary mag. Worked OK in most of my .22 pistols but also had the highest mis-fire rate of all the cheap ammo. Recent boxes I got just before Xmas lack the waxy coating and have many fewer mis-fires so far.

I haven't tried Thunderbolts again -- no fun cleaning out all the lead left behind and accuracey goes to pot in ~150 rounds because of it.

On balance, I prefer the Federal Champion followed by the Federal Bulk Pack copper plated HP, but I'll buy Golden Bullet if its cheaper or they are out of the others.

In my tests with my 10/22 Golden Bullet had the smallest groups of the cheap ammo, too bad I had to pretty much single load them :(

+1 to the Wolf Target Match, at about $27/500 it shot dime sized groups -- better than the $8/100 CCI Green Tag.

--wally.

Nematocyst
December 29, 2006, 01:07 AM
Four "words":

CCI min-mag (http://www.cci-ammunition.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=3&pg=18&prod_id=4), Marlin 39A.

TX_Shooter
December 29, 2006, 07:41 AM
Four "words":

CCI min-mag, Marlin 39A.

These were the ammo we shot the last time son and I was @ the range. All 100 qty (paid like 3.40 a box of 100 rounds) was perfect w/ the Marlin795

Nematocyst
December 29, 2006, 04:23 PM
TX-Shooter, that's good to hear.

I spent the better part of a couple of days recently reading reviews and opinions about .22 LR ammo on THR and elsewhere.

Those CCI mini-mags just stood out for me as the best of the bunch. I fully understand that each rifle has it's own preferences, and CCI mini-mags may not be the best for all.

But they'll be at the top of my ammo pile for testing the new 39A (when I finally am able to get it, soon as I'm able to sell my CZ 452 <hint, hint>).

Nem

Vern Humphrey
December 29, 2006, 04:47 PM
But they'll be at the top of my ammo pile for testing the new 39A (when I finally am able to get it, soon as I'm able to sell my CZ 452 <hint, hint>).

So what's your price, including shipping?

ArmedBear
December 29, 2006, 05:08 PM
I've shot many bricks of them, the cheapest bulk ammo that's about $10 for 550 loose in a box. No more than 5 rounds have misfired in my Ruger 10/22, 22/45, and H&R revolver, in all the time I can remember.

They work great for me.

TX_Shooter
December 29, 2006, 11:07 PM
Hey guys,

Since all this jazz about these goldens; today I went and got an additional 500 22 longs, for both our guns. These other bullets I am going to compare to the Goldens are the Winchester Xpert 22 Hollow points.

In addition, I installed a reddot on my son's ROSSI and Simmons 22mag on my Marlin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/IMG_3363.jpg

I'll report back w/ my thoughts on both of these set of ammo.

Thanks!!

ArchAngelCD
December 29, 2006, 11:23 PM
I bought the same Remington box of .22's a few weeks back because they were all out of Federal .22's. I found them to be a good round but the Federal are a little better in my Savage Mark II bolt. That doesn't mean they will shoot bad in your gun since all guns shoot differently with different ammo. The Federal rounds I buy are in a gold box, 550 rounds loose for only $8.96 regular price. Now that's a deal!!!

TX_Shooter
December 29, 2006, 11:30 PM
yea I saw the Federals @ sportsman warehouse put little more in price, then they also had the CCI Blazer, but I passed on those. They were only 50 cents more then the Winchester Xperts in the 500 pack

fishdog52
December 30, 2006, 08:12 PM
I bought the same back in the early fall and was disappointed in the groups. I have used these for a lot of years with great satisfaction with groups, feeding, etc., but this carton was different. Put a couple dozen of them over the chronograph and saw a consistent 200+ variation. I seen the same with the SuperX LRHP. Guess they figured out how to make them cheaper, so goes the performance. I did try a brick of the Federals & they are working fine, groups are good & a check on the chrono shows normal performance. I am thinking that it may be time to consider buying a 5,000 round case of something that works properly.
Last comment, I was recently told that the performance variation can be traced to differences in rim thickness. I have not looked into this yet.

Groundhog
December 30, 2006, 10:44 PM
Hi guys and gals. New guy here. Been reading about the 22LR discussion. The ones who say that certain weapons like certain brands are certainly correct. I have a Mossberg bolt action from my Dad. I had the scope refurbished and have been trying to site it back in. Anyway, I have going crazy trying to zero the scope in. Anyway, I have tried many different brands, and came across a brand this gun likes, a lot. Came by it by accident. One of the fellows in our gun club was at the range the same time as I was, and saw the difficulty I was having, and offered some rounds for me to try. Well, just like a wife, she sure is pretty, but very expensive. This particular gun likes, loves I should say, Lapua rounds. I fired the five he gave me, and I could have covered the holes with a dime. 50 Yds. Next down was Ely. That would have taken a 50 cent piece. The Wildcats I had been trying to site in with were all over the place. Now I ain't rich, but it seems to me that since I use this gun for groundhogs here in Virginia, I would like to be able to drop them with some certainty. I will try some different ones, and get back to the group, unless someone has already tried Lapua and can give me some insite on them. They come in about a dozen diffent grades, so thought I would order one box of each kind, log the information when they are shot, and go from there. Ely seems to be the second choice. I will use the Wildcats for general plinking in one of my other guns. Thanks for any insite any of you can give me.

ArchAngelCD
December 31, 2006, 12:15 AM
Groundhog,
If you don't want to spend too much then give CCI Stingers a try. I don't know how much the rounds you were shooting cost but the CCI Stingers are between $4.15 and $4.99 a box of 50. Now that's not cheap but if you are hunting they are worth it. Muzzle velocity is at 1640 fps with Stingers. If you want to spend a little less give CCI Velocitor (1435 fps) or CCI Mini Mags (1260 fps) a try. All three CCI rounds shoot close to the same out of my Savage Mark II bolt action .22 but the Stingers are serious about small game. For plinking give those Federal bulk pack rounds I mentioned above a try.

RockRifle
December 31, 2006, 02:07 AM
After I worked my 10/22,(bull barrel, trigger, adult stock) I went to the range with a box of everything that was locally available. I shot Remington, Federal, Winchester, and CCI. (maybe more, I don't recall-paper is out in the shop.) I shot high end and plinker, even shot subsonic.
My 10/22 grouped well with the Remington Golden Bullets and the Federal lightnings - however, the federals didn't feed consistantly in the autoloader, so the Remington gets the nod. I can put 10 rnds into a quarter at 50 yds all day with it, the hollow points hit hard, and its on sale again for $9 a box; I have about 15 boxes on the shelf, but I might have to get some more.
If your rifle likes it, stock up. If you can save money AND shoot better, it's a win-win.

Archangel- stingers are not recommended for autoloaders- the case length is too long for tight chambers. I used to use them in my Stevens bolt action to shoot squirrels in the wind, but they are not recommended for a 10/22.

ArchAngelCD
December 31, 2006, 02:20 AM
RockRifle, Groundhog said, "I have a Mossberg bolt action from my Dad."
Who said anything about Stingers and a 10/22?

RockRifle
December 31, 2006, 02:51 AM
sorry archangel... My statement about chamber length is relative to the stinger ammo. If you compare the longer Stinger case to standard .22lr you will see the dilema that comes with it. It seems the thread has mentioned many types of rifles, so wanted everyone to be aware of the limitations of Stinger as well as the bonuses. Groundhog mentioned plinking with his other guns as well, whatever they might be... It felt like a good time to throw it out my .02.

I have shot both lever and bolt actions with the stingers, so was surprised myself to discover the warning about autoloaders. They will give you a little more zip in the wind in your manual actions, but autos will have problems.

toecutter
December 31, 2006, 02:54 AM
I started buying these after I had a big bag of mixed ammo and went up to the range with a recently purchased AR-7.

The only rounds this thing cycled reliably were the remington golden bullet ones. Every other rifle I have is either a bolt gun, or a lever or pump (the AR-7 is the only semi-auto rifle) and have not had issues with them.

For the time being, this is all I shoot. I really wish PMC would start making thier "standard velocity" loading again, that stuff shot better than ELEY Ten-X and was about $8/brick (compared to $15/box of eley). It used to really piss off the other competitors when I would show up with bricks of PMC and walk away with lots of trophys.

dispatch55126
December 31, 2006, 10:17 AM
Has anyone tried these .22 Super Maximums from Cabela's?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20839&id=0024232215207a&navCount=2&podId=0024232&parentId=cat20839&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20839&hasJS=true

They are toted as the fastest .22's on the market.

ec-10
December 31, 2006, 01:21 PM
I have a Glock 17 that I use with an Advantage Arms .22lr conversion. The last time I used the Remington "Thunderbolt" ammo (40 grain) through the gun the leading was so bad I was probably not far from a major failure. I had run a bore snake through the barrel right before I left for the range just out of habit. At the range I put maybe 200 rounds through the pistol. I was shooting at shotgun hulls on the ground so I didn't really notice the decrease in accuracy.

When I got home I went to run a patch down the barrel and the rod would not fit. It took a while for me to figure that one out. Looking through the barrel it appeared smooth. The cleaning rod finally caught the edge of the lead build up and peeled it loose so I could see it. It took two hours of work to clean the barrel and I pulled an estimated 30-40 grains of lead out.

From my experience the "Thunderbolt" ammo from Remington is not for me. The Remington Golden hollow points (36 grain) have always functioned very well through the same pistol with very little fouling and only a few misfires.

Just my .02 cents.

270Win
December 31, 2006, 03:59 PM
dispatch -

Yes, I have tried (and liked!) the Aguila Hyper-Velocity stuff. It IS fast, and the crack from the barrel is surprisingly loud. I'd estimate about twice as loud as a standard .22 - it turned some heads at the range.

It's quite accurate BUT it will not load in my 10/22. It simply will not chamber. The problem may be the aftermarket barrel has a tight match chamber, and the Aguilas tend to be slightly oversize? I'm not sure. But my Henry H001 and my friend's ancient bolt-action .22 both loved 'em, and shot them well.

eastwood44mag
December 31, 2006, 04:12 PM
I strongly dislike them because the powder doesn't burn all that cleanly, and I get bits on my hand when I shoot.

dispatch55126
December 31, 2006, 05:07 PM
I bought some Federals and CCI MiniMags today. I'm going to the range next week to try them out.

TX_Shooter
December 31, 2006, 06:00 PM
Hey guys. Had a good time at the range this monring.

Shot around for about 4 hrs on both mine and my son's rossi.

Here are my thoughts:

Golden Bullets never missed fired out of my sons brake-action rossi and the Xpert22's did the same. I cannot comment which was better since I was only shooting his @ the 20 yard mark while setting up the reddot.

====

Well ok, as for my automatic marlin 795 rifle The Xpert 22: none of the 10 rounds shot perfect out of the clip. It kept jamming in the barrel which made me had to pull the bolt action back to pop out every since Xpert22 empty ammo out of it. I am not sure why, but it did.

As for the Goldens, they shot fine, which the brass part of the bullet ejected just fine and never seen it jam on me.

Total rounds shot out of the Marlin was 410. 205 shots each of the Goldens and Xperts22's

I am not sure what the heck is wrong w/ the Expert22's or why the old brass would not eject, but to me it was very annoying.

So +1 for the Remington Goldens :)
and -1 for the Winchester Expert22's :mad:

TX_Shooter
December 31, 2006, 07:23 PM
dd post

TX_Shooter
December 31, 2006, 07:47 PM
dispatch55126
Has anyone tried these .22 Super Maximums from Cabela's?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...839&hasJS=true

They are toted as the fastest .22's on the market.

These are worth a shot. I really enjoyed the Aguila ammo out of my .380. Since Cabela is around the corner and for that price its worth a shot.

dispatch55126
December 31, 2006, 08:03 PM
I'll do a range report with some differant types of .22's out of my 10/22 next week.

Davo
December 31, 2006, 09:37 PM
Compared to other bulk packs, they are more dirty, jam a bit more, and most importanty they have alot of misfires in ALL of my 22's.

smithdblue
December 15, 2007, 01:21 PM
Recently I purchased a 550rd bonus pack of Remington .22 hollow points thinking this was a great deal,I can't go wrong with Remington ! I've used their ammo for many years.I'm very disappointed in them,I've had approx 40% misfires and fouling :uhoh: like I've never seen before now.
Not to mention the accuracy(or,lack of it) is too inconsistant.
I have a lever action Henry rifle that is a "tack-driver" and has given me years of great shooting-I will not be feeding any more Remington trash through it.Guess I'll go back to Winchester or Federal !

ArmedBear
December 15, 2007, 01:34 PM
I have had very few misfires in thousands of rounds of bulk Golden Bullets. They work well for me, with one caveat: the bullets can oxidize if you keep them around for too long.

CZguy
December 15, 2007, 03:18 PM
I have had very few misfires in thousands of rounds of bulk Golden Bullets. They work well for me, with one caveat: the bullets can oxidize if you keep them around for too long.

You just scared me so much that I had to go out in the snow and shoot 100 rounds off before they oxidized. :eek:

I think I caught them just in time, they were starting to turn. :D

Bulk Remington's work just fine for me.

deputy tom
December 15, 2007, 06:19 PM
Even tho this thread started last year it still is interesting.I have begun using Federal 550 bilk-pack ammo with great results in all of my .22's.Not one malfunction.YMMV.tom.

351 WINCHESTER
December 15, 2007, 06:21 PM
My experience with remington's famous golden bullet has been bad for 30 years or so. It wasn't until I tried other ammo that I found out it was supposed to fire each and every time. The worst .22 ammo I've ever shot, bar none. They haven't improved it as my neighbor got his son a .22 and bought the rem. ammo. The very first round was a dud and there were more to come. Junk ammo.

powwowell
December 15, 2007, 08:25 PM
Hello,

I posted a question recently about Thunderbolt and bulk Winchester leading .22 barrels. I asked the question because these two ammunitions are not coated.

The answer was that they are waxed coated and a .22 doesn't have enough velocity for the rifling to strip any lead off of the bullet. The poster said I was 100 years behind. Yet, a couple of posters in this thread mentioned that leading was a problem with the Thunderbolts.

Would anyone else care to expound on leading?

okiewita40
December 15, 2007, 08:34 PM
As far as I m concerned Remington Golden Bullets in the bulk pack out right suck. bought a bulkpack and had a 5-6% failure rate. even had one round that the part of the brass casing was missing. I'll stick to the Fedaral bulk packs. They shoot just fine in my marlin 60. And I am happy with a 3 shot group that I can cover up with a dime from 35 yards.

RecoilRob
December 16, 2007, 01:59 AM
After experiencing the misfires with Remingtons that fired when re-oriented under the firing pin, I set about to pull some down until I found the reason why. Only took about 5 rounds to find the first gap in the priming compound, and these had NOT been worked through the action...they were straight from the brick.

Of course, if you happen to have the gap right where the pin hits....you won't have ignition. Found a couple more with gaps...some bigger than others too. Fired them all and the ones with gaps were significantly less loud and energetic than the fully primed ones. This probably accounts for the difference in power that you notice sometimes as the weak primers don't light the powder as consistantly.

I'm not bashing Remington, just passing on what I found. Many boxes I have shot worked just fine so it seems that occasionally they have a glitch in the priming dept. But, most other brands seem to be more consistant for me.

aka108
December 16, 2007, 09:26 AM
Probably experienced the highest number of failures to fire with Remington 22 rf ammo. For certain it has to be a uneven distribution of the primer at point of manufacture. Quit buying it about 10 years ago on account of this. Recently bought a box of 550 and same problem exists. Also see a lot of once struck 22 cartridges on the ground at the range. They're, for the most part, Remington.

the naked prophet
December 16, 2007, 11:56 AM
I never buy them. Remington golden bullets have very unreliable primers. I usually get 1 or 2 out of every 10 that don't go off. Doesn't matter what gun I use.

The Federal 550 round bulk pak has nearly never misfired. I've had more than probably 15,000 rounds through my several .22 handguns and rifles, and the Federal bulk pak is good enough I've never bought anything else except a few Aguila specialty rounds like the 60 grain SSS and the super colibri and the super maximum or whatever.

carlrodd
December 16, 2007, 12:24 PM
i'll hit it.....rem golden bullets are the worst .22 round i've fired. i won't comment on accuracy, but i cannot cycle them reliably through either my 10/22 or ruger mkII. probably something like 30% misfires, or more, and that is unacceptable.

spiroxlii
December 19, 2007, 05:13 PM
I've gone through thousands of the Rem. Thunderbolts in my 10/22 without any malfunctions or unusual leading. The only problems I ever had were with aftermarket hi-cap magazines. Using Ruger factory mags, the rifle functions flawlessly with Thunderbolts so far.

My experience with the Thunderbolts led me to buy the bulk pack of Rem. Golden Bullets at Walmart. I haven't tried them in the 10/22 yet. I hope my experience with them is better than what I'm hearing from you guys!

CZguy
December 19, 2007, 06:42 PM
My experience with the Thunderbolts led me to buy the bulk pack of Rem. Golden Bullets at Walmart. I haven't tried them in the 10/22 yet. I hope my experience with them is better than what I'm hearing from you guys!

There doesn't seem to be any middle ground here.

I've used them for years and never had a misfire, but to read the posts here they are terrible.

Let us know how they work out for you.

Rokman
December 19, 2007, 08:40 PM
I have never had problems with them in my two 10/22's or MKII pistol. They are definately not my favorite, but usually work for plinking. Accuracy is not very good compared to others and does seem to be very dirty to shoot.

ArchAngelCD
December 19, 2007, 09:01 PM
Wow, another 1 year old thread back from the dead...

Lloyd Plett
April 20, 2008, 12:33 PM
I have had very good success with the bulk boxes of Remington hollow point Golden bullets. All of my .22 rifles shoot them accurately, and in some they are the most accurate of all ammo tested (about 15 brands & types), including standard velocity target ammo. Chiefly, 11 of the Romanian training rifles that I use for BSA troop shoots and Camporees, my old Ruger 10/22 (love that rifle), and the 20 Savage Mark I-FVT rifles we use in our club's Basic Rifle Marksmanship School. I will get 1 or 2 real misfires (not operator malfunction) per box of 525 but no squibs so far. We shoot 500 -1000 rounds per weekend several times a year. The Federal bulk ammo seems to be good also. You just have to go shoot a lot to find out what your rifle likes. I love it when I just have to go shooting!

nosliw
April 20, 2008, 12:37 PM
the worst of the worst in my opinion.

federal is the best. most accurate, cleanest, and reliable.
winchester is next. okay accurate, dirty, semi-reliable.
remington. accurate enough, semi-dirty, not reliable at all.

every 50 or so rounds in my 10/22 doesn't fire. and the extractor won't catch it so i have to dig it out with a knife. not a problem with the gun, because i can blow through a whole brick of federals without a single misfeed, jam, ect.

same story in my ruger charger

22-rimfire
April 20, 2008, 12:42 PM
Just remember there IS a difference between Remington Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets. In my opinion, the golden bullets shoot just fine for general purpose high velocity 22 ammo. I think CCI's are more consistant and as a result, more accurate.

tnieto2004
April 20, 2008, 12:42 PM
I love em .. That is almost all I shoot out of my .22's

mr.trooper
April 20, 2008, 12:45 PM
I use them, but they are not my favorite. I think Remington / Federal are about the same in quality, but I think the Winchester Super X is the best of the bulk boxes.Its made a bit better, and It works more consistently in all of my .22s.

the Remington Golden Bullets leave lots of golden grit in the action of my P-22. Its very difficult to get it all out. in short, its dirty stuff.

razz
April 21, 2008, 12:32 AM
>>federal is the best. most accurate, cleanest, and reliable.
winchester is next. okay accurate, dirty, semi-reliable.
remington. accurate enough, semi-dirty, not reliable at all.

same here with my Browning Buckmark pistol.

Bostekrisco
April 21, 2008, 11:59 AM
My buddy and I took my son and three of his buddies to our farm this past weekend. I have a month old Marlin 60. He has a several year old rebadged Marlin 60 that didn't run well at all. I took it apart and cleaned it and oiled it and it did ok with the Federal bulk pack but seemed to love the Remington Golden bullets. Mine ran fine with either. FWIW, they went through about 1,500 rounds between those two rifles and my Ruger 22/45.

Funderb
April 21, 2008, 12:03 PM
nickle size groups at 50 with my bulk pack out of the boltie savage.

I have no problem with them. Then again, I'm not an ammo snob either.

Schleprok62
April 21, 2008, 12:12 PM
MY Remmy 597 don't like the Rem Goldens... but it loves the Federal Champions... go figure... oh wait... someone else said that... hehe...It also likes CCI and Winchester... i haven't tried the non coated plain ol lead Remmy ammo yet though... but it seems to like the plain jane LR's...

ArmedBear
April 21, 2008, 01:41 PM
I've had good luck with the Golden Bullets. They've worked well in Marlin lever guns and semis, Ruger semi pistols, revolvers, and a .22LR AR upper.

The only caveat: they can corrode. I've had a box turn all green with crystals on the bullets. I didn't want to put those though a barrel, so I tossed them. Keep them dry, and don't plan to keep them around forever. They're made to buy and shoot.:)

CZguy
April 21, 2008, 02:57 PM
The only caveat: they can corrode. I've had a box turn all green with crystals on the bullets. I didn't want to put those though a barrel, so I tossed them. Keep them dry, and don't plan to keep them around forever. They're made to buy and shoot.

I'm curious.........how did you have them stored?

I agree about shooting them (and all shells) right away. :D

ArmedBear
April 21, 2008, 02:59 PM
I had them in the garage, in a big polyethylene tub with a lid on it, like you buy in the "home storage solutions" section of Target or Wal-Mart or wherever.

I had several boxes in there, and only one ended up like that. It might have gotten moisture in it during shipment or something. It had been sitting around for a while, though. Not years, but enough time for moisture trapped in the box to have an effect. It's hard to say.

Now I keep most everything in ammo boxes, just like Uncle Sam. I just keep running out of space and having to buy more of the things.:)

Nhsport
April 21, 2008, 07:21 PM
Seems from the replies that the goldens are better than they once were

ArmedBear
April 21, 2008, 10:15 PM
Hell, it doesn't cost too much to find out.:)

ScottG1911
April 21, 2008, 10:58 PM
They are the only shels to work a semi auto. Federal and winchester will not cycle a MKII or savage semi auto rifle

000Buck
April 23, 2008, 08:50 AM
Golden bullets are great, they function in my Model 60 great. The Winchesters from Walmart are horrible in this particular gun.

Vern Humphrey
April 23, 2008, 09:37 AM
That pretty much mirrors my experience. Wal-Mart Winchesters will not shoot well in my automatic pistols -- the hollowpoint is too wide.

But in my Kimber M82 they are very accurate and hit with authority. I prefer them for squirrel hunting.

moooose102
May 3, 2008, 09:06 PM
.22's are HIGHLY ammo sensitive. Take 2 of any model, and both will like and favor a different brand i find that true only in semi-auto's. in revolvers, bolts, and levers will eat anything you can cram down their throat!

Walkalong
May 4, 2008, 09:41 AM
My Trailside and S&W 422 both shoot the Winchester and the Federal very well, with the Feds being easier to load in the clips. Both feed well. The brick of Winchesters has about 5% that will not fire. No problems with the Feds.

I bought the bricks of Win & Fed because I was not happy with the Rem 550 pack.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington .22 Golden Bullets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!