Firearm Insurance

PDA

joesolo
December 26, 2006, 08:55 PM
I took a gun inventory over the holiday and had a couple more guns than my pea brain remembered. It got me to thinking about insurance for them as the collection has grown a little and has a couple high dollar shotguns included. All are in a safe 'cept for the ones for HD and carry. Do most folks insure them (or select $$$$ ones)? If so, any company recommendations? Cheers.

Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearm Insurance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thumper5
December 26, 2006, 08:57 PM
Basically you're gonna pay 2% per year for scheduled firearms. Insurance covers a risk you can't afford to take. Decide accordingly....

Sunray
December 26, 2006, 10:52 PM
Call your home insurance agent and look into a firearms rider with replacement value for fire and theft. The replacement value is important. Otherwise, if something bad happens, you'll get whatever the insurance company thinks your firearms are worth. Take digital pictures with the serial numbers of all of 'em, burn them onto a CD, make at least one copy that is kept elsewhere. The cost is usually a figure per $100.

shadowalker
December 27, 2006, 12:23 AM
Your home owners automatically gives you some coverage in most cases, mine gave me 2K by default and I added another 4K for $40 per year.

The nice thing is their coverage is blanket coverage which means it isn't tied to a particular firearm but instead an event, I can have a claim of up to 6K and I just need to show bill of sale, appraisal or other proof that I owned the firearms, their value, and that they are lost / stolen / destroyed.

I have pictures of all my firearms by themselves and me with them and serial numbers, and values stored in a safe place.

Sir Aardvark
December 27, 2006, 01:34 AM
Be careful with your homeowner's insurance - most policies only cover up to $1,000.00 worth of firearms, regardless of the amount that your policy is supposed to cover on everything else.

You'll need a rider to increase your coverage, and some insurance companies make you schedule your firearms.

You can check out the insurance that the NRA offers - they will not make you schedule a gun unless it is more than $1,500.00.

joesolo
December 27, 2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks folks. Good advice. I'll take some picts with serial #s today. Not sure why I haven't done that anyway.

Joe

Indy_Guy_77
December 27, 2006, 09:33 AM
And when/if you call your insurance agent... Be sure to ask the questions anonomously! I would hate to potentially get caught with liability issues over just 'inquiring'

For me, I would put that type of question in the same category as asking the agent if "Breed-X" of dog would impact my insurance...

How not to ask: "Agent Smith, this is Jim Bob, one of your insureds. My wife and I just bought a Rottweiler and a Chow-Chow, will this affect our homeowner's liability insurance?" Now your agent has your name and you've admitted to having two breeds of dogs deemed "Aggressive" by many insurers and might probably be penalized and/or dropped from coverage.

How to ask: "Hi, I have my homeowners' through you and I was just wondering if we adopted a Rottweiler and a Chow-Chow how it might affect our insurance liability." They then don't have your name (unless caller ID, of course) and you've not admitted to ownership, just inquiring.

I much prefer the anonomous inquiry approach to get questions answered!

A bit rambling and analagous, but I hope that my general point comes through.

Inquire first before scheduling on the insurance!

-J-

jem375
December 27, 2006, 11:31 AM
My Insurance policy covers $2000 and I put a $5000 rider on it so I'm covered for $7000 which don't really cover what I own but enough where I wouldn't lose everything....I forget what I am paying but it's fairly cheap and worth it.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Firearm Insurance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!