What to buy?

PDA

Dr.Rob
December 26, 2006, 10:04 PM
It turns out, Xmas isn't over... some extra Xmas money came my way (thanks grandma!) and now when I go to pick up dad's Mark III hunter, I'll have $1000 in my wallet to spend! So dad's Mk III will run $450ish with tax etc. and fees... I'll have a little over $500-$550 to spend on ME.

Now I haven't even thought about it seriously... but one of the things I saw at that store previously were those W. German Walther P-1 (P-38 post war)surplus pistols, they had them parkerized or blue for $289. Kind of 'neat' but I've never previously thought of buying one. Anyone think they are worth it?

The only other rifle I'd like to lay my hands on is well over $600.. (Marlin 1894 Cowboy .44 Mag) and I don't have an extra $100 laying about at the moment, and that's a 'special order' item, so yeah, I could probably swing it.

Similarly, I'd like to take a long look at CZ's Ringneck 12 ga. I saw there... very pretty shotgun, think the price was around $640.

I thought about another 9mm hi-cap, like a Browning (they have the Daly marked FEG's in stock too) or a CZ75 SA.

There's nothing I 'need' (and yes they have crates of Moisins available for those who will suggest it) at the moment... and this shop has a WIDE selection of pre-ban rifles pistols and accessories available.

It's not 'burning a hole in my pocket' just yet... and I plan to look over their used case carefully for wayward Colts.

I have re-loading supplies already, single and progressive presses.

Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "What to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mannlicher
December 26, 2006, 10:06 PM
ammo. Lots of it.

gbran
December 26, 2006, 11:36 PM
You're all over the map with your possibilities. Of all the types of guns you've mentioned, which would you get the most use out of? Handgun? Shootiie? Rifle?

Handgun........ I kinda like the CZ75 in SA, given your budget. The others seem to be just above your budget.

Dr.Rob
December 26, 2006, 11:40 PM
I don't 'need' anything.

They have the std model 1894 Marlin at a good price. ($414) I've been eyeing a Marlin 44 for a while, they really are a hoot to shoot.

shootergirl88
December 26, 2006, 11:46 PM
I like Mannlicher's suggestion. You never know when urban chaos might break out. ;)

10 Ring Tao
December 27, 2006, 12:28 AM
The P1 or a gas operated semiauto shotgun. Shooting clays is the most fun I've had pulling a trigger.

Rexrider
December 27, 2006, 12:51 AM
Sounds like the Marlin Cowboy is the one you really want. Save up the difference and order one.

If you don't and buy something else......you will still be thinking about that Marlin. ;)

Dr.Rob
December 27, 2006, 01:16 AM
trust me casa Rob has plenty of ammo...

Will Fennell
December 27, 2006, 08:55 AM
Dr. Rob,
Since I found out about the Cylinder and SLide drop in "No bite" hammer sear sets[installed a set in my significant other's HP and found out that HP's CAN be painlessly shot!], I immediately picked up a second HP for myself. I took advantage of the glut of FN Hipowers ,with the SFS system at really good prices, and simply replace the SFS with the C&S parts.

HP happiness....these things ALWAYS work:D

El Tejon
December 27, 2006, 10:14 AM
What's your carry pistol? Buy another just like it. Any unused money should be used to purchase mags for it.

If you already have a 2d copy of your carry gun, then buy magazines for your ARs, M14s, FALs, etc.

DogBonz
December 27, 2006, 10:22 AM
it seems to be what you want, and like you said, it is an order item, so that will give you time to save up that extra cash. Other than that, maybe a AR lower or two if you are afraid of the second comming of Billary. Or, for some real fun, what about a 50 Beowulf upper for your AR? 45-70 power in small nimble semi-auto carbine, and you already reload, so it could be lotsa fun...:D

James NM
January 2, 2007, 09:09 PM
The P-38 is one of the great pistol designs of all time (IMHO). The P-1 is a great plinker, obviously cheap to shoot, and has a cool rating off the chart.

I've seen them at Gander Mountain & Ammoman.com for $249.00.

Are they worth it? A quality center fire pistol for under $300 - I think so.

But as my daddy always told me "Take my advise and do as you please".

DoubleTapDrew
January 2, 2007, 11:11 PM
Aren't AR's already illegal in Denver? If you have a lower I'd get an upper for it and a bunch of ammo. Gotta have options for zombies outside the 50 yard mark :evil:

Dr.Rob
January 3, 2007, 03:43 AM
Denver's assault weapon ban is no more. I was tempted by a wicked lookin AK semiauto with a grenade launching site today...

instead I put down a deposit on the Marlin Cowboy. it should be here in a week.

If you enjoyed reading about "What to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!