Springfield Armory Linkless 10mm

PDA

kenpocop
December 26, 2006, 11:32 PM
What can you guys tell me about the SA Linkless 10mm? There is one selling on gunbroker.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Armory Linkless 10mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FireBreather01
December 28, 2006, 01:22 AM
The Springfield Linkless is a sweet gun. It was based on the linkless barrel system the Peter Stahls used in the Omega which was licensed and sold, for awhile, by Springfield. When Springfield decided to sell their own version of the linkless design, in the early 90's, Stahls quickly sued Springfield for patent infringement and thus ended the very short run of the Springfield Linkless. It's too bad because they are very nice guns and now highly sought after.

I'm always on the lookout for a quality Linkless and I did make an inquiry on the one you are referring to - maybe you can get a better response from the seller than I did. He told me the pic on GB isn't the actual gun, he sold another one a few weeks prior to this one with the exact same description and pic. I couldn't determine from his description if this gun is an actual Linkless, an Omega, or some kind of 1911 hybrid that incoprorates the linkless system.

Like I said, the Linkless is a great pistol, if you can find one in good shape for a reasonable price consider yourself lucky. I'm not sure about this one but you might have better luck contacting the seller than I had - I hope you do!

Mortech
December 28, 2006, 01:34 AM
I remember when the Omegas first came out , I was living in Germany . The local Military Rod n Gun clubs sold them for a while , they were pretty beefy with dual extractors if I remember correctly . I always thought they were the perfect platform for the 10 MM .

hksw
December 28, 2006, 02:33 PM
I have an Omega. The extractor set-up came in two configurations. Dual (as with mine) and a single with a hexhead cross bolt that move the extractor left-right (bolt was adjusted from the left side of the slide). The linkless system was part of a multi-caliber package for the platform. Simple replacement of the barrel, recoil spring, and magazine was all that was needed. The dual extractors self-adjusted to the various casehead diameters and the single was adjusted using the cross bolt.

Gun shoots OK but the dual extractors tend to eject casings straight back on occasion. Recoil spring is pretty strong so hotter loads are needed to get goot ejection (at least mine). Barrel is ported and polygonal. The Peter Stahl uppers were generally mated to Spring National Match lowers. (At least that's what I think the NM serial number means.)

kenpocop
December 28, 2006, 03:37 PM
Firebreather,

I had a similar response from him. He said that he didn't have actual pics because the gun was on layaway at a store. Needless to say, I abandoned any further inquiries. How hard is it to find replacement barrels for the unit?

GARY1911A1
December 29, 2006, 02:56 PM
I believe the linkless system has at least one advantage in the 10MM as the design slows unlocking and the slide impacting the frame making it easier on the pistol. Wish I had gotten one in 10MM and .40 when they were discontinued.

FireBreather01
December 30, 2006, 02:24 AM
How hard is it to find replacement barrels for the unit? AFAIK - VERY! I've seen some posts now and then that suggest contacting Stahls and if he's in the mood then....."maybe".

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Armory Linkless 10mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!