Ruger locked up, Help!

PDA

kludge
December 26, 2006, 11:49 PM
I took my little Ruger out today for a little dry firing (Speed Six). Before I started, I checked the cylinder to make sure it wasn't loaded. But after the cylinder would not open. Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger locked up, Help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Confederate
December 26, 2006, 11:54 PM
Has it been in storage for a long time? If so the lubricant may be gummed up.

Push the cylinder release in and then, while it's still pushed in, hit it on the right side with a rubber mallet. After it pops out, try to rotate it. If it doesn't rotate freely, you'll have to spray it with a degreaser, dry it out and then lightly relubricate it.

If it does spin freely, check to make sure the stem is screwed in tightly. Try to close the cylinder than open it again.

Good luck.

LHB1
December 26, 2006, 11:56 PM
See if you can turn/tighten/screw the ejector rod in further. On some older S&W revolvers, the ejector rod could come loose and unscrew itself over time so that it was too long to clear the lock and open. The fix was simply to tighten the ejector rod enough to open the cylinder and then tighten it fully. BE CAREFUL to not bend it.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

kludge
December 27, 2006, 12:06 AM
Confederate, it was probably in storage most of its life, but I gave it a thorough cleaning when I bought it and a light lurication. I don't think it's gummed up. The cylinder rotates freely and no opther problems that I can tell.

LB, I'm aware of the ejector rod screw with the S&W revolvers and gave it a shot but no dice

Jim March
December 27, 2006, 02:01 AM
If I recall right there's a disassembly drill on that thing that is similar to the Redhawk. I think you're going to have to strip it down to see what's what.

Lucky for you Ruger keeps the manual online:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PDF/InstructionManuals/40.pdf

kludge
December 27, 2006, 10:01 AM
Well, I did just that last night after I posted.

I gave the cylinder a little bump on my knee, and then it bound up the cylinder... oh oh.

So I dissasembled the gun and got the cylinder out... the ejector rod is bent and I'm fairly certain that was caused by me bumping it. Still no clue as to why I couldn't open the cylinder.

Oh well, time to call Ruger and order a new ejector rod.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger locked up, Help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!