Where did all the old model Vaqueros go?

PDA

Dr.Rob
December 27, 2006, 12:50 AM
I haven't seen a .44 mag version in ages.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where did all the old model Vaqueros go?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
December 27, 2006, 01:03 AM
I would bet those got snapped up quick the moment people realized the New Vaq would never be able to take that caliber.

It was never a very popular caliber for the Vaquero. Most people needing that much horsepower wanted better sights on the SBH.

Powderman
December 27, 2006, 03:09 AM
Tell me about it.

I have a 5 1/2 inch Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt. It is the bright stainless model, and it is downright purty. :)

I have been trying to find another one just like it. Not happening!

Edited to add: Just found this on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63084980

Jim March
December 27, 2006, 04:08 AM
Ruger produced a lot more 45LC Vaqs than they did 44Maggie.

When the New Vaq was released there was early word that the "Old Vaq" in 44Mag would stay (because it wasn't possible in the mid-frame). Apparantly somebody in accounting realized what it would cost to maintain the Old Vaq for one relatively obscure (in that gun anyways) caliber and choked.

Other than some special runs made up on older unshipped frames, my understanding is that the large-frame Vaq is dead. Any new large-frame fixed-sight guns will have to be built up custom on Blackhawk/SuperBlackHawk starting points...for major dollars.

achildofthesky
December 27, 2006, 10:32 AM
Here's my 5 1/2" Vaquero 44 Magnum I am listing locally and planning on listing in gunbroker.com if not sold in a few days... Sorry if this pimp for my gun is in the wrong place. If interested PM me.

Patty

kevin387
December 27, 2006, 10:44 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a stainless one with a 5 1/2 barrell that I have been toying with selling. I want to thin the herd a bit and use the money to buy accesories for some other guns. Would now be as good of a time as any? I believe I have the box and it probably hass less than a box of rounds through it. Any idea what it's worth. Guns America didn't have a good comparison.

Thanks

Kevin

Mine is the same as above.

BoneDigger
December 27, 2006, 11:12 AM
Go to www.sassnet.com and look at their classified section. This is the Single Action Shooting Society for cowboy action shooting. They pop up rather regularly there.

There are several for sale here locally in Tyler, TX, but then that doesn't do you much good...

Todd

SouthpawShootr
December 27, 2006, 09:30 PM
Where did all the old model Vaqueros go?

I've got two of them. one in Stainless and one Blued (I had it completely reblued after a run-in with Ruger's artificial color case). Figured it would take Ruger a bit to work out the kinks in the new ones.

FPrice
December 27, 2006, 10:05 PM
I have a couple in my safe and they are staying in the family.

Powderman
December 28, 2006, 01:01 AM
Southpaw:

Post a pic of that blued Vaquero. Did you get a high polish finish? I bet it's gorgeous!! How did that case hardened metal come out?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where did all the old model Vaqueros go?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!