7.62x54R ammo?

PDA

Antihero
December 27, 2006, 02:54 AM
So who makes 7.62x54R? So far ive used Brown Bear 203gr, Wolf 200gr and Winchester white box 180sp(which is showing pressure signs so i wont fire it anymore).

Any other companies besides surplus?

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x54R ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
December 27, 2006, 02:58 AM
S&B, Norma, Lapua, Barnaul, Wolf, and several others. IIRC, Winchester's is made by S&B.

darkknight
December 27, 2006, 03:26 AM
winchester white box metric calibre si what its called it like 17.99 fmj or 19.99 soft point.

jrfoxx
December 27, 2006, 05:18 AM
I woulnd't exclude surplus too quickly, personally.It's dirt cheap, and many people have found that the right surplu, in the right gun, can be as accurate as modern "name brand" stuff, or better.Just like everything else, some guns just shoot best with certain ammo, and sometimes, that ammo is the surplus stuff over new stuff.Also, even if none of the surplus turns out to be the most accurate in your particular gun, its still usually good enough for fun and informal stuff, and you can get a LOT more for your money.Then you can use the money saved on plinking ammo to help fund paying for the more exspensive modern stuff that you needed for hunting, more serious target shooting, etc.Just my observations.

Antihero
December 27, 2006, 11:43 AM
winchester white box metric calibre si what its called it like 17.99 fmj or 19.99 soft point.
Yesterday 11:58 PM

Yup tried that, its showing pressure signs,flattened backed out primer and cratering, so im not gonna use it any more.

Its not only the most expensive it also happens to shoot like crap outta my mosin. Its a total entertainment package!:D

I woulnd't exclude surplus too quickly, personally.It's dirt cheap, and many people have found that the right surplu, in the right gun, can be as accurate as modern "name brand" stuff, or better.Just like everything else, some guns just shoot best with certain ammo, and sometimes, that ammo is the surplus stuff over new stuff.Also, even if none of the surplus turns out to be the most accurate in your particular gun, its still usually good enough for fun and informal stuff, and you can get a LOT more for your money.Then you can use the money saved on plinking ammo to help fund paying for the more exspensive modern stuff that you needed for hunting, more serious target shooting, etc.Just my observations.

Im not totally discounting it believe me. $35 for 440 rounds is a heck of a deal, its just personally cleaning guns is my least favorite gun activity and shooting something that requires me to do more cleaning takes away from the fun. $6 a box for Wolf and Brown Bear is fine for me,if i want really cheap ill reload for it.

Also i should mention ive cleaned corrosive ammo fired guns before(actually its a muzzleloader) and its just not that fun.

S&B, Norma, Lapua, Barnaul, Wolf, and several others. IIRC, Winchester's is made by S&B

Thats the info im looking for! If the Winchester is made by S&B ill steer clear of it but ill have to try the others.

Also has anyone else had high pressure signs from Winchester white box ammo?

Langenator
December 27, 2006, 09:30 PM
Prvi Partisan also makes the Wolf Gold and Hotshot (marketed by Century Arms) brands. Not sure if they sell under their own label in that caliber in this country.

ajax
December 27, 2006, 09:36 PM
Olympic also makes some.

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x54R ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!