Looking for a New Rifle

PDA

MossbergManiac
December 27, 2006, 12:10 PM
Hello All! I haven't done alot of posting but read here often.
I'm in the market for a new rifle, I plan to hunt in the mountains of Virginia. This can include an assortment of wildlife, from coyotes to bear. But its main purpose is for whitetail. I'm still debating on caliber size also:confused: 270,270WSM, or 308. I'm looking for something thats not going to break the bank (under $500). Thanx All

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a New Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfaugh
December 27, 2006, 12:41 PM
I went Savage, mostly because of the Accutrigger. My next rifle will be a Savage. As far as caliber, in the real world ALL would serve your purpose. I'm a big fan of the original .270, but if I was buying a new rifle would probably go for the .270 WSM.

jrfoxx
December 27, 2006, 12:46 PM
I know this insn't one of the calibers you listed, but I inherited this Winchester 70XTR from my dad, and LOVE it. Its a fairly light, nice looking, VERY accurate rifle in 30-06.(and I'm sure no one has any real complaints about that caliber for the things you mention:)).I avent seen allthat many for sale, but the ones I have seen go for around $400 or so NIB or darn near NIB. All round nice rifle for a nice price IMHO.I have heard NOTHING but praise for Savage's though, especially for the price, they just dont tend to be too pretty (if that matters much to you.).
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/jrfoxx/30-06.jpg

ArchAngelCD
December 27, 2006, 01:05 PM
Savage makes great rifles especially since they released the Accutrigger http://www.savagearms.com/at_pressrelease.htm. Not only is the Accutrigger a pleasure to use their barrels are extremely accurate.

A lot of hunters like the .270 and I have nothing against it but if you are thinking of hunting bear in the future you might want to move up to a .30 cal rifle. I wouldn't buy the .270 WSM because the ammo is harder to find than the "normal" rounds and it costs a lot more. I would suggest buying a 30-06 because of the vast amount of factory loads available in a wide range of bullet weights or a .308 if you want a short action rifle. Since you are looking at the Savage 11G you will have to get the .308 since it's not offered in 30-06. The 111G is offered in long action.

UNLESS you are willing to look at the 10G series rifles. If you look at the package series you will find the 10GXP3 short action rifle. http://www.savagearms.com/10gxp3.htm It has a wooden stock like the 11G but it comes with a 3-9X40 mounter scope. (Available in .308 Win.) If you are willing to buy a long action rifle the 110GXP3 http://www.savagearms.com/110gxp3.htm is available in 30-06 and they both list for $556. You might like the 10G series better because it comes with the Monte Carlo stock which is very comfortable to use.

Lonestar.45
December 27, 2006, 01:09 PM
With a name like MossbergManiac I'm surprised you aren't looking at the Mossberg ATR for that price range!

If it were me I'd look for a Remington SPS in .270 Win. I'm partial to Remington myself. I have a BDL and an ADL in .270 Win and I think they're the perfect rifle for whitetail and medium game.

That said, the Savage you listed would be a great gun as well and you'd probably be happy with it. Go handle as many as you can, in your price range, and pick one of the name brands that "feels" best to you and I don't think you can go wrong. Good luck.

MossbergManiac
December 27, 2006, 01:16 PM
Lonestar .45 in reply to the ATR. Yes I have done some research on it and have found, that in that price range most folks like the stevens 200 quite a bit more.

Brian Williams
December 27, 2006, 02:07 PM
Marlin or Winchester in 30/30. It will do any of the animals you are talking about.

You say you do not want to break the bank but put a 270 WSM as one of your choices, that IMHO will break the bank.

B.D. Turner
December 27, 2006, 03:06 PM
Brian beat me to it. The Marlin 30-30 would be a great rifle for white tail, black bear, wild boar and coyotes in Virginia and I have hunted in Va. I don't know of any critter on the east coast that couldn't be taken with a 30-30.

MossbergManiac
December 27, 2006, 03:10 PM
With all due respect Mr. Williams, 30-30 is a great caliber and yes I am still considering a marlin336. I'm still not convinced on its stopping power on a 400 lbs bear. I would rather be the one hunting than being hunted. For the price of a 336 and the ammo, without a doubt it is a great value.

TX_Shooter
December 27, 2006, 03:16 PM
With all due respect Mr. Williams, 30-30 is a great caliber and yes I am still considering a marlin336. I'm still not convinced on its stopping power on a 400 lbs bear. I would rather be the one hunting than being hunted. For the price of a 336 and the ammo, without a doubt it is a great value.

That is why it is perfect to have a secondary weapon. A hand gun, 44mag?

Do it like Dirty Hairy style. :neener:

I enjoy shooting my 270. Love my Remington Sportman270. No complaints

MossbergManiac
December 27, 2006, 03:20 PM
I do carry a Springy XD in 40 cal as a back up. Enuff you think?

B.D. Turner
December 27, 2006, 03:30 PM
With the new leverevolution that 400 lb bear should be no problem.
Watched a guy on tv last night take a black bear in Canada with a Marlin 336S. 30-30 It was a guided hunt. The bear went about 75 yards after being shot according to the guide.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
December 27, 2006, 03:39 PM
You need to determine if you're going to be a brush hunter, a open field hunter, scoped or open sight.

I won't cut down the Savage 11 series for a scoped .308 or 30-06 for the open areas. For the money, you might look at Tica rifles in stainless. But I'll add another nomination for a Marlin 336c. Everyone should have a lever gun. At expected ranges for even big bruins, it's quite capable in 30-30, or 35 Rem. If you want the ultimate in a lever gun, then the .444Marlin will get the job done! And the Guide guns, The XLR's in 45-70.. Well I met a guy once that hunted Yote's with a 45-70. Little doggies just rattled when he picked them up.

-Steve

zero_chances
December 27, 2006, 04:52 PM
A 30-30 will drop a black bear, and if the first one doesnt stop him instantly, you have what, six more to stop him.

jrfoxx- Is it just me, or does the scope on that rifle look like its pointed skyward while the barrel is pointed down:confused:

highlander 5
December 27, 2006, 05:07 PM
bolt action rifle 30'06 can't beat a Savage for price and accuracy.
Marlin 336 series 45/70 bullet weight from 300gr-400gr not sure if the Garrett Hammerhead rounds will fit in a Marlin.
I love my 45/70 Browning 1885 300- 500gr:what: bullets no problem

jrfoxx
December 27, 2006, 07:25 PM
zero_chances-good eyes! Yes, I took the pic right after I got the gun home and put the scope on (with much haste and little attention as you can see :)) I didnt realize the problem until I went to sight it in and kept hitting the dirt no matter what I did. A quick look and I disovered my stupidity (but of course, I didnt have the tools to correct it with me :banghead: )I have since fixed the mistake, and with a properly mounted scope,:) It really is a great shooter. I really need to take a new pic so I can quit advertising my stupidity over the internet.:)

zero_chances
December 27, 2006, 08:07 PM
Lol, i was looking at it thinking something wasn't right

Mark8252
December 27, 2006, 09:52 PM
Personally I think a 30-30 would work fine. Ammo is also easily found anywhere.

:) :) :) :)

mustanger98
December 27, 2006, 09:57 PM
I voted Savage Model 11G. Mine's the GL (left-handed) in .243Winchester. I'd recommend go either .243 or .308Winchester in this rifle.

Marlin or Winchester in 30/30. It will do any of the animals you are talking about.

Personally I think a 30-30 would work fine. Ammo is also easily found anywhere.

I agree. I recommend reading the thread "Why Do Some Guys Badmouth The .30-30?". Anybody don't think .30-30's enough rifle... they can ask that last deer I shot. He's right there in my freezer... made from some real purty steaks... good tastin' too.

rockstar.esq
December 28, 2006, 01:54 AM
I'm a little torn.

First off I own a Savage 10FP and although it's crazy accurate, the ejector sucks buttermilk. I've had on and off problems with it for the last year and I've concluded that it's a function of it being too friggin small which means that it's driving spring is also too friggin small. Clearly not too many folks post about this but I'd bet it happens to other people. The second thing is about the Savage accutrigger. Yes it's nice and light however you can't set it at it's minimum setting and expect the bolt not to decock when you work the action quickly. It's somewhat anticlimactic to buy a gun hoping for a light trigger pull only to find that you've got to crank it back up to get it to work reliably!

The Remington 7400 has been on my radar for some time. Mostly due to an article in G&A that was supposed to be extolling the virtues of the Springfield Armory M1A White Feather model. If you read the captions carefully and check the group sizes you'll find that the Wally World 7400 with it's crappy scope absolutely schooled the M1A EVERY TARGET, EVERY TIME!

I'm not trying to say that the 7400 is the answer to every tactical mall ninja's dreams nor am I trying to say that the Savage is a bad gun. I guess they both posess their charms to me. I enjoy 600yd+ shooting which I think isn't reasonable with the 7400, however there's no doubt in my mind that the 7400 would be a nice hunting rifle.

moody22
December 29, 2006, 01:47 AM
I just got a Remington SPS Stainless .270 and love it. If you are wanting a bolt-action than that is what I think you should get. Online They are more expensive online. I got mine for about $520 at a local gun shop.

fugi
December 29, 2006, 03:40 AM
check out the Savage 10FP-LE, you can get them for a good price and they're very acurate. I'd go for .308 myself due to cost and well tested and documented ballistics in about every environment and barrel length and type.

Dr.Rob
December 29, 2006, 04:00 AM
The Savage in .270 is a good rifle, IMHO the .30-06 is a little more versatile cartridge because you can load a much heavier bullet.

270 and 30-06 are long actions, the .308 is a shorter, faster action.

Savage makes a good rifle, I've killed more antelope than I can count with a Savage .30-06. I've own 2, a 110B model and a 116FSAK.

Avoid the WSM cartridges, 270, .30-06 and .308 are far easier to find if you don't reload.

I've never owned a Remington 742/7400 series auto loader but my dad hunted exclusively with a 760 pump action carbine in .30-06... he's taken antelope, deer, elk & russian boar with it... it's free-floated barrel makes it very accurate. If you have an 870 shotgun, the action works exactly the same--which is why he chose this rifle.

And the Marlin .30-30 remains a serious rifle for eastern game of all kinds.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a New Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!