WASR-3 question

PDA

TheDisturbed1
December 28, 2006, 08:34 AM
I just purchased a Romanian (Romarm) WASR-3 5.56x45mm rifle in a used condition with new reciever (My first Assault Weapon, period). As a precaution I disassembled, cleaned and lubed most moving parts (then reassembled). When I cock back far enough it seems as if the bolt carrier gets lightly "lodged" over the hammer keeping it from returning to the forward position, a little nudge snaps it back forward. I have yet to fire it in this God-awful fridgid weather we have here right now, I was wondering if this normal operation and if the bolt carrier goes that far back when fired. I would be really dissapointed if this thing turned out to be a p.o.s... :banghead: :fire:

As for the condition on the rest of the rifle, it looks the "Imported By" writing was hand-engraved and the wood furniture looks suitable and ready to rock.

If you enjoyed reading about "WASR-3 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheDisturbed1
December 28, 2006, 09:11 AM
to add to that, I also have had a little resistance when reinstalling the bolt carrier... a tougher nudge will get it by the hammer

dstorm1911
December 28, 2006, 09:14 AM
Well for starters the WASR is NOT built from milspec parts, they are built specifically for commercial import to the USA, Century then takes every possible shortcut to keep the cost as close to their purchase price of $12.50 per rifle.

These rifles are built at the Sadar arsenal in Romania there are two arsenals Cugir which is where all the top of the line milspec AKs used to be built now that arsenal is building bigger an better toys. Sadar was always known for low quality standards, if ya look at ALL military Romanian rifles built from the "G" parts sets (these are the Patriot gaurd rifles which is like our national gaurd and where converted to semi auto only from full auto rifles) or the "GP" series (these are the regular army rifles and usually show more ware I have 30 of the 1964s that saw so much use the hammers are actually worn right into the bolt from constant full auto use) ya will note one of two symbols stamped on the trunions for 7.62 caliber its a triangle with an arrow pointing up in it for the 5.45 rifles its just the triangle, these are the arsenal marks for CUGIR arsenal. Ya will never find these marks on the trunions of a WASR as these were built just for cheap commercial sales by Century, they are not "used" they are just substandard components what Romania supplies Century in the WASR line is a new Romanian reciever (these are not even close to milspec recievers) they install a front/rear trunion, a barrel with sight blocks and gas block, a gas tube, bolt carrier, dust cover/recoil assembly and Romanian unfinished furniture it can be legally imported as it does not contain more than 10 imported parts from the 922R list, Century pays $12.50 for each rifle they then add the following American parts, Gas piston most commonly welded rather than pinned in place as this is cheaper labor wise, a FCG this is the hammer, trigger, sear (Century used to use their own but they were so poorly made they ended up with more recent rifles using G2 FCG sets) a USA Slant muzzle brake, the pistol grips vary on some they get the Romania brn baklite others get the blk plastic century one.

The reason quality is so low at the SADR arsenal is the area its located is a very poor region and the available work force just doesn't care versus CUGIR which is a very afluent area with most of the workforce being colledge educated etc...

There are many possible causes for your "current" problem one common cause is that the gas piston was not installed correctly and is actually canted, the gas block may also be canted to such an extent its causeing interferance with the gas tube/piston, these are the most common WASR ailments, it can also be the reciever, these are very substandard compared to a quality AK reciever like the Nodak spuds ones etc... we use for assembling our kits on, its very common for the rails to be inconsistant look for signs of binding often the ejector is too long and rubbing against the bolt.

the most common however is the canted gas assembly issue so start there, look at the rear sight the gas block and the front sight are all 3 straight and lined up with each other? remove the bolt and look at the gas piston is it straight?

if the pin holes are not correctly positioned the hammer could be too high or as mentioned the carrier rails too low. either will mess up the relationship between hammer and bolt carrier

TheDisturbed1
December 28, 2006, 09:23 AM
The piston is good and straight. I still think my problem is the hammer (when cocked), is rubbing up against the bolt carrier/bolt itself

TheDisturbed1
December 28, 2006, 09:55 AM
My apologies for such poor clarity and quality in these pics, its all i got at the moment...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/disturbed001/BoltC1.jpghttp://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/disturbed001/BoltC2.jpg
Note the space where the bolt is revealed, that is where the hammer "hangs up" the bolt carrier.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/disturbed001/CH1.jpg
Sorry about this pic. if you can see, the bolt carrier is back far enough to load a shell into the chamber, that is where the hangup occurs.

From what you were saying, the problem is likely to be manufacturer error or the gunsmith screwed up somehow... but a problem that doesnt often occur from field stripping it to clean & lube? I might be able to sleep if i can solve this... bear with me if possible

Juna
December 28, 2006, 09:58 AM
DStorm1911: Yikes, you're making the WASR sound like a piece of junk. I've read otherwise on here from actual owners. Just got one for Xmas. Hoping you're wrong....

TheDisturbed1
December 28, 2006, 10:01 AM
Well... I'm going to go fire this thing soon (first time, hopefully this week) and see if she hangs up on the range. If it does, back to the smith she goes... along with those 2 spare plastic mags that dont fit. :mad:

if the pin holes are not correctly positioned the hammer could be too high or as mentioned the carrier rails too low. either will mess up the relationship between hammer and bolt carrier

The untrained eye most likely wont recognize that... but thats most likely it

MisterPX
December 28, 2006, 07:26 PM
The carrier hanging up on the hammer happens in most AKs', so no concern. Better quality rifles don't have this as prominent, but you can still feel it.

rbernie
December 28, 2006, 08:56 PM
Yikes, you're making the WASR sound like a piece of junk. Well, they aren't milled Bulgarians. But they do go BOOM when they're supposed to, and throw lead downrange with acceptable accuracy. As with anything with the CAI stench about it, I've learned to inspect 'em carefuly before plunking down my money.

I'm not sure that a WASR would last really well as a frontline military weapon, especially in sustained FA mode. But for use as a semi-auto range tool or SHTF kind of rifle, I don't know any that don't work out just fine.

TheDisturbed1
December 28, 2006, 11:07 PM
The carrier hanging up on the hammer happens in most AKs', so no concern. Better quality rifles don't have this as prominent, but you can still feel it.

Thanks... thats a relief.

I hope it doesnt happen when fired :eek:

_N4Z_
December 28, 2006, 11:30 PM
I've got a stamped Vector AK clone that is a mid range priced rifle. It is well made IMO, great fit, and has gone boom every time. Many many times.

The bolt hang is quite typical for Kalashnikovs, mine does it.

I know of a locally owned hi-end Arsenal AK clone that also does it.

Neither mine or this other one have any problem firing.

When charging an AK the bolt is to be pulled back and let go. Do not "ride" it forward and you shouldn't experience this hang up.

WinchesterAA
December 29, 2006, 01:35 AM
My WASR isn't miss priss sunshine, won't win any beauty contests, but @ 2800 or so rds through it and no malfunctions, as well as "good enough" accuracy out to about 600m, I'm damn impressed TBH. Impressed enough to dish out 700$ or so within the next couple of days to add some class to it (eotech, new furniture, gunna get the barrel threaded and the most "evil" muzzle brake/flash hider/whatever looks the best but serves no real purposes device I can find)

and a couple thousands rounds for it..

nevertheless, back ontopic. My WASR "lodges" itself at the back as well, and also if the safety is on and I push the bolt carrier back against the safety it sticks. I kinda used that as a makeshift slidelock, but that required too much babying it, so I dremmeled a groove in the safety lever, works fine now.

As for the bolt getting stuck on the hammer, AFAICT that's a normal thing.. Happens with all the WASR's I've handled, and doesn't seem to effect anything really.. The hammer is a bit shiny on the end, but no big deal.

fugi
December 29, 2006, 03:50 AM
I happen to think of it as an 'undocumented feature' as there's no other way to lock the bolt back. my SAR1 does it, SAR2 doesn't, nor does a friend's SAR2.

TheDisturbed1
December 29, 2006, 04:04 AM
ya got a point there... I was afraid it would interfere when fired. If not, could be very handy IF it ever jammed

If you enjoyed reading about "WASR-3 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!