Brass Branding

PDA

YoPedro
December 28, 2006, 10:10 AM
How important is it to sort brass by brand? (.45ACP) Is there a consensus or a rule of thumb to follow? I'm not into high volume lead dumps, I spend my shooting time putting ten shots in one hole, as often and as consistently as possible and perfecting the technique therein.

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass Branding" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
December 28, 2006, 10:37 AM
If you are shooting at short ranges, 25 yards or less, you will be very hard pressed to measure any difference between mixed brass loads and single headstamp brass. At long range, like 50 yards, you might be better off shooting sorted brass.

I don't sort 45 brass, nothing I do requires or even supports sorting. If the load I use will do 2.5" at 25 yards that is all I need or will be able to use in the types of shooting I do.

YoPedro
December 28, 2006, 10:42 AM
Bam! Said and done, I love a definitive answer!

The Bushmaster
December 28, 2006, 11:23 AM
And then you have those that agree with HSMITH, but just can't stand to see mixed brass head stamps in a box starin' up at him.:what: I sort by head stamp.:D

taliv
December 28, 2006, 11:30 AM
yeah, i hold with those who sort headstamps, not because it makes a difference in 45acp, but because i keep records of my brass (how many times it's been shot, etc) and 50 years from now, i hope to be able to look back and associate trends in accuracy or reliability or number of firings with lots of brass, where those trends are statistically insignificant when you just look across 1000 rounds or so

JDGray
December 28, 2006, 11:39 AM
I dont sort my 45 brass, but I do sort my 9mm:)

The Bushmaster
December 28, 2006, 11:50 AM
JDGray...Why...What's the difference? Why one (9mm) and not the other (.45 ACP)? I'm absolutely stumped...:D

JDGray
December 28, 2006, 02:00 PM
Well... I didn't seperate untill I bought some Magtech 124gr fmj. While loading this particular bullet, I noticed a differan feel while running through my LFC die. This only happened with CBC headstamp brass. I dont know if the brass is thicker than the rest, but you could see a pronounced edge where the bullet stopped in the case, and the FC die hit this, and felt wierd. No problems at all loading this bullet in Win brass. So I decided to seperate all my 9mm brass. My crimp die is only set to remove the belling.I have no problem loading Win 115gr fmj in any brass.

Father Knows Best
December 28, 2006, 02:35 PM
I agree that there is generally no need to sort pistol brass. I'm not a bullseye shooter, though, so I don't know if those sorts of precision handgun competitions benefit from that level of detail.

I make one exception to my "no sort handgun brass" rule, and that's for a cartridge that's kind of borderline rifle/handgun -- the 44-40. I sort my 44-40 brass for one simple reason -- I use rather large bullets (.430) in my 44-40 loads, and my 44-40 firearms have tight chambers. I have discovered that Starline 44-40 brass tends to run a little thicker (.007) than Winchester (.006) and some others. That small difference can mean the difference between a round chambering fully or not. So I use the Winchester brass for .430 lead bullet loads, and restrict Starline to lower velocity (to prevent leading) .428 hardcast.

I also load lots of other handgun rounds, though, and I don't sort any of those. Nor do I keep track of number of firings. I just load 'em 'til they split.

Walkalong
December 28, 2006, 03:14 PM
Speer .45 brass I have seen lately has much bigger flash holes than other brass. I segregate those into a seperate batch.

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass Branding" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!