Winchester M74 in .22 short

PDA

El Tejon
December 28, 2006, 05:16 PM
Today I was in a neighboring county on business. As I am known to do, I ducked into a gun store downtown.

There I observed a Winchester M74 in .22 short for $189. Call it Condition Good. Missing some blue on the barrel. Most likely a farm gun for some time (looked like it had been outside a lot).

What say you: deal or no deal?

M74 is special to me as my paternal grandfather kept one to shoot critters about his curtilage. My cousin has possession of that one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester M74 in .22 short" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dionysusigma
December 28, 2006, 06:41 PM
I'd say go for it. :)

Not until I received my maternal grandfather's Remington Model 12 in .22 WRF did I think that everybody needs an old rifle in an outdated form of .22 :D

I think Midway has ammo in stock. If you plan to shoot it (which I sincerely hope you do), get it checked by a gunsmith first (of course). Mine checked out fine, and that thing hadn't been properly maintained for the 20 years preceding my acquisition.

rangerruck
December 28, 2006, 07:33 PM
that is a very old model, early 1900s. the ones in very good to exc condition or worth thousand s of dollars. i would love to have it. shoot it, as im sure it has been a million times, just take very good care of it. it is proly worth a lot more than that, I would ask the guy for a one day test, to try and fire it.

Oohrah
December 30, 2006, 02:58 AM
I don'tr believe that the rifle is as old as quoted as the .22 lr was
popular in the early and mid fifties. The 22 Short was manufactured
mainly as a gallery rifle and numbers were far fewer than the LR version.
I own one of each. A simple blow back action they run for ever. Mine
has a really long barrel (24"). Like new condition it was appraised at
$300 a few years back. It shoots much better than my tired eyes can
see the open sights. Most major manufactures still put out .22 Short
ammo with larger gun dealers stocking it.

JohnBT
December 30, 2006, 10:33 AM
Model 74 Short - made from 1939 to 1952.

100% = $295 PLUS 25% if .22 Short AND 25% if pre-war. From last year's Blue Book. 70% = $125 in LR. They made a total of 400,000+.

JT

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester M74 in .22 short" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!