Taurus Model 85

PDA

December 28, 2006, 07:29 PM
Thinking about picking up a Taurus instead of a J frame at the gun show. I like the grip better on the Taurus and where the lock is located. Is Taurs on par with S&W? Any problems with their lock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Model 85" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sistema1927
December 28, 2006, 08:03 PM
I didn't vote, due to the fact that I have had mixed results with Taurus over the years.

I had a pre-lock 85CH that was OK, about on par with my S&W J-frames. I found that it was too heavy for my purposes, and sold it, but it was a good revolver.

I had a Taurus 94 (.22 LR) that was crap, and would misfire several rounds per cylinder. I unloaded it as quickly as possible at a loss.

I have a pair of recent manufacture Taurus Gauchos in .45 Colt that are as good as anything made by any manufacturer. I wouldn't trade them for anything. No problems with the lock, and being as it is in the hammer it is about as unobtrusive as any such device could be.

MCgunner
December 28, 2006, 08:14 PM
My 85UL has the best out of the box DA trigger I've ever sampled on a J frame of any brand or make including Smith and Wesson. It's accurate and easy to carry and I like the stock grip, too. You can buy grips for a gun you don't like the grip on, though. But, the little Taurus is a better gun for me than a concealed hammer gun and it does a find job for quite a bit less money than a Smith. The quality of the trigger seals the deal for me. I would not hesitate to buy a comparable Smith, but you're not going to find one for the money I spent on the Taurus. In this case, IMHO, you don't get more for your money. You'll be spending even more to get that trigger as nice as my Taurus.

Baba Louie
December 28, 2006, 08:19 PM
Is Taurs on par with S&W? Any problems with their lock?Not really on par but close enough (usually)
No problems w/ lock on either brand (never ever use it).

I've had 2 - 85's and a 605 and have never had a problem with any of them... one 85 was pre-lock. I've also got a 3" 82 and a 431 (.44 spl) pre lock and they're also dependable, look good, accurate and fun.

But they're not S&W's FWIW. (thinking resale value)

You know you can replace the grips on a J-frame right? It's no big deal.

But I agree about the lock placement. Much prefer Taurus' placement.

meef
December 28, 2006, 08:55 PM
I had a Taurus 94 (.22 LR) that was crap, and would misfire several rounds per cylinder. I unloaded it as quickly as possible at a loss.Har har! Punny, very punny!

:D

Smilin Jack
December 28, 2006, 09:19 PM
Hey,
I have a Taurus 85 with no hammer lock (early model). I bought it new and pretty much have carried it every day since in a Galco SOB158 holster. It has a Crimson Trace set of laser grips and makes nice small groups on paper at the length of our local indoor range - 60 ft.

I've put coffee cans of mid-range wadcutters thru the model 85 and still seems tight and shoots nice groups. Without the laser grips, it was hard to hit the paper at 60 ft. Glad I got the Crimson Trace. Check out their webpage.

When out in the forest, my Glock 21 (45 Auto) goes and the Taurus 85 stays home. The 38 Special might be a tad small for bears, bigfoots etc. Haven't carried the 357 Mag in years, but it still goes to the indoor range.

Smilin Jack
Western Oregon

SouthpawShootr
December 28, 2006, 11:17 PM
It's worse than S&W. But not by much and if you can handle the gun, just take it through steps in Jim March's Revolver Checkout and you should be fine. Sure Taurus has a lifetime warranty and, if you buy a gun with a problem, they'll make it right, but you'll lose the gun for months in the process. I'll add that my experience with 2 individual 85s has been great. It's a meat and potatoes gun that's been in the lineup for a long, long time. I'll wager it's one of the best sellers, if not the best seller in the Taurus product line.

BTW, current Taurus rubber is about the best I've seen any factory field on any gun. Last few I've bought, I didn't bother with replacement stocks.

10-Ring
December 29, 2006, 12:29 AM
I've had spotty experience w/ Taurus but I have a buddy who owns several Taurus wheelguns & each one is very nice & a great value. I would think that as long as you can fondle the gun & maybe dry fire it a little before you put your money down, you should be okay.

Arcticfox
December 29, 2006, 03:11 AM
I have both a Taurus and a Smith (both in .44 mag.) The trigger on the Taurus is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the smooth pull of my Smith.

I do like my Taurus however, and it is my pack gun for hiking, and carry.

I have heard several people say that the trigger on their model 85 is second to none. I cannot say the same about my taurus model.

1 old 0311
December 29, 2006, 08:51 AM
I own both. I also voted worse. Longevity is better with the Smith.

tango3065
December 29, 2006, 09:27 AM
I have owned 3 taurus revolvers and 2 had to go back for repairs withing the first couple hundred rounds and the I now own 0, I have owned several S&W revolvers and still have them all with none needing repairs ;) .

TIMC
December 29, 2006, 10:45 AM
I have had my Mod 85 for a couple years with no problems. As someone else said I to have had hit and miss trouble with Taurus firearms. I have a PT940 that I really like a lot but it has had to go back to Taurus twice for the same problem. I have 3 S&W handguns and I can say I have never had a problemm with any onf them.

Jkwas
December 29, 2006, 12:38 PM
I voted on par as long as we're talking current production models. I have a 3yr old taurus 605 (.357 model small frame) with over 1000 rounds thru it. Only problem I ever had was a worn out hammer spring which I upgraded to the S&W standard to make it right. Even though the factory boot grips are good, I changed to the factory combat grips which is simply a matter of taste. Shoots accurately, points naturally (which for a snub is really important), and the fit and finish is as nice as anything I've ever seen. For half the price of a S&W, I'd say it's a good deal.
To say it's as good as an older model S&W, well it's not. But neither is a current prodution S&W either.

MCgunner
December 29, 2006, 12:44 PM
I have heard several people say that the trigger on their model 85 is second to none. I cannot say the same about my taurus model

I have an older M66 that has a somewhat rough DA especially compared to my M10. My newer gun with the newer transfer bar action is very smooth, almost as good as that old, well broken in early 60s vintage M10. But, my M85UL beats even the M10! It's pretty awesome.

Around this neck of the woods, the Smith and Wesson snobs must be thick, because I can't find a decent deal on an old used Smith. I have found bang up deals on Taurus M66s, though, they seem to be in abundance at every gun show and the best deals in the house. I pick 'em up, I check for end shake, timing, this and that, then I bargain on 'em. My 4" nickel gun was a KILLER deal, newer model lock work, like new, NO end shake or other excessive play, like new with one little blemish of holster wear on the cylinder that's hardly noticeable. I gave $197 for that gun and it's more accurate than my M19 or my Security Six were. I won't ever let that one go!

I got a 3" blued M66 at a gun show the other day. It had a timing issue and some holster wear, fairly tight with a little play compared to the newer one and not as smooth a trigger. I bargained it down to $180. Then, playing with it at home, I took the side plate off and found the cylinder hand/pawl spring was binding. I fixed that and timing is perfect!:D

I can't seem to find a M10 for under $300 in any condition around here and M19s and 66s, forget it! I can get a new gun for what one in good condition brings. I know, if I had an FFL, I could order one, but I don't. I know a guy I could order one through, but I will NOT buy a used gun without first checking it out. I have no bias one way or the other in handgun brands. I know I can get a Ruger or Taurus that's just as good as a Smith for a lot less money. I've even owned 7 Rossis. I just check 'em out, make sure they're in good mechanical condition before I buy and if there are flaws and I think it'll still be serviceable, I'll use that to bargain the price with. As long as prices on Smiths remain as high as they are around here and Taurus revolvers are as low as they are, I'll continue to buy mostly used Taurus. I would like a titanium Tracker, but that's just more money than I can pony up for a revolver right now. I'm more of a $200 bargain kinda guy. :D I continue looking for affordable Smiths. I'd like to find a 2" M10 for under $300 in decent shape, right, dream on. I might even buy another 4" gun (have one already) just so I can buy a 2" barrel to replace on it later, if I could get one of those $200 bargains I always hear about. But, I'm NOT ordering one. I gotta see it first.

jon_in_wv
December 29, 2006, 01:28 PM
I have a Taurus M85 and I used to own a S&W 442. Other than the heavier frame I can't really tell the difference between them. My M85 does have a better trigger.

Moondoggie
December 29, 2006, 02:05 PM
I've had a M85 snubby stainless for about 15 yrs.

It goes bang every time, and is perfectly adequate for it's intended purpose which is close quarters personal defense. I didn't buy it for bears or target shooting or to be a safe queen.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

lawboy
December 29, 2006, 03:10 PM
I had a model 85CH for a number of years. I honestly did not shoot it much for the first 7 or eight years I owned it, hardly shot it at all, actually. Well, finally I did start shooting it some around 2004. Lo and behold, the forcing cone up and split on me! A nice piece of it just cracked lean off! I sent it back and they replaced the barrel for free. All looked fine BUT, the new barrel had not been indexed properly. There was a visible cap between the ejector shroud and the front of the frame and the barrel was canted. The gun shot way to the left. I sold it. I have not owned another Taurus since, although I have been tempted at times. I am once bitten twice shy.

MCgunner
December 29, 2006, 04:12 PM
I had a Model 10 Smith forcing conel split on me, once. That's why it wears a heavy barrel now, that and I prefer heavy barrels. I really don't know what caused it to split, was shooting wadcutters, but I took it out of the safe and to the range and never looked into the barrel. Heck, might have been a spider in there or something. It don't take much obstruction to cause that.

Jkwas
December 29, 2006, 04:42 PM
It goes bang every time, and is perfectly adequate for it's intended purpose which is close quarters personal defense. I didn't buy it for bears or target shooting or to be a safe queen.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Amen brother. When I go target shooting, I take the model 10. When I go out at night, it's the 605.

December 31, 2006, 10:36 PM
Opinions seem split, slight edge to Smith. Guess I'll try a couple Taurus' and Smiths. A bit harder at the show than a shop. I'm gonna go late in the day hoping it's not so busy.

wcwhitey
December 31, 2006, 11:21 PM
Owned one for a few years. An older Model 85, bought it new in 86' for $145. It was a nice gun, shot well, had no problems for the 1000 or so rounds I put through it. From what I can recall the fit and finish was pretty good and the wood stocks were decent. It was all I could afford at the time and it fit the bill.
I cannot speak for the recent guns, with or without the safety lock. Having said that, my only advice would be find the patience, save the dollars and buy what your really want. If the Taurus seems like the best gun, buy it, if it has a problem, send it back. If the Smith is what you really desire, save the money and buy one. You have to be confident in the gun you choose to protect yourself and practice with it often. Bill

jad0110
December 31, 2006, 11:35 PM
I am no Smith snob, hard to tell from my signature line. I am open to most makes, though I just really like the trigger on my S&Ws.

I used two own to Taurus wheel guns:

1. M66 6" stainless. Good finishing except for a few tool marks on the underside of the barrel. The trigger pull was just as slick as my classic K-22, however like most Tauri, the trigger pull seemed to stack a bit just before release which negatively effected its predictability, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Still a very nice gun, the only reason why I sold it was because I did not like the 6" full underlug barrel, it just never seemed to balance right like my current 4" S&W 686. I never experienced a single problem with my M66.

2. M94 4" stainless. The gun from H*ll. No misfires, but the trigger pull made me think that maybe there were rocks behind the side plate. Lots of 'em. Terrible big burr about 1/3 of the way through the pull, so bad that it made accurate DA firing next to impossible. I got fired in SA a lot, which defeats the purpose of having a DA 22. Worse, the cylinder would bind after 50 rounds on average. And I do eject my spent cases straight down. I'd even clean the cylinder and forcing cone after every few cylinder fulls. Sent it back to Taurus once. Did not fix either problem. I took it to a local gunsmith who got the trigger to the point where it was tolerable, but the gun would still bind after 100 rounds even after the cylinders were chamfered and the cylinder to forcing cone gap was adjusted. Needless to say I replaced the Taurus with one awesome S&W K-22 and have not looked back.

The 94 does appear to be hit or miss for Taurus. Some get good ones, but it seems many more get lead spitting turds like mine.

I would consider another Taurus in the future. Most of their products are very good, and like any manufacturer, they have their lemmons. The one drawback with Taurus is their resale value. They depreciate as bad as, well, a Ford Taurus.

longtooth
January 1, 2007, 02:21 AM
I voted on par w/ smith.
For my use that is correct. I will shoot it at the range but not going to compete or put 150 rds a week through it. I will carry it as a Sunday carry when I have a tucked shirt & no coat. Any other time I cannot carry .45.
For that I do not need the other $150.00 invested.
Major range work, competition, field carry, & even winter carry when more than a light cover is warented for the weather, I will carry my 4" S&W 66.
Primary will still be the Kimber most of the time but, this old man still likes the feel of a good revolver.

MCgunner
January 1, 2007, 10:59 AM
The 94 does appear to be hit or miss for Taurus. Some get good ones, but it seems many more get lead spitting turds like mine.

While a rough DA seems to be the norm for .22 revolvers of all makes/brands, I have heard so much negative about the 94 Taurus, I think I'll avoid that one in the future. There seem to be a lot of complaints about it. I have a Rossi (also a rough DA) that shoots very well, so don't need a .22 revolver anyway.

420Stainless
January 1, 2007, 02:40 PM
I came late to the revolver game; bought my first one seven years ago. It is an all steel model 85 purchased for the wife back when S&W was not available at the LGS due to the Clinton collaboration. No troubles so far, it seems on par with the Smith & Wessons I've acquired since. I prefer S&W in support of domestic manufacture, but I can't honestly tell much difference in the quality.

bakert
January 1, 2007, 05:01 PM
This steel frame 85 might not be quite as good a quality as the small S&Ws but it's so close I considered it well worth buying since it was almost 200 bucks cheaper. It's been a very good little gun and the trigger, in both single and double action modes is as good as any of the Smiths I own. Dunno, maybe I just got a good one.
I also have an older model 66 that's had thousands of rds through it. Not near as tight overall as the better S&Ws but does lock up pretty tight. Double action is very good but single action leaves a bit to be desired.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/brumanj/Picture192.jpg

MCgunner
January 1, 2007, 08:42 PM
I also have an older model 66 that's had thousands of rds through it. Not near as tight overall as the better S&Ws but does lock up pretty tight. Double action is very good but single action leaves a bit to be desired.

Is it the older 66 action with the hammer block as opposed to the transfer bar? Wondering, 'cause I have two, one's the hammer block old action, the new one's the newer transfer bar lockwork. The newer one is tighter, very tight, as tight as any DA I've owned in fact. Might be because it's little used, yet, though. It is a pre-lock gun. My older one has a little rougher DA with a little stage in it about half way through the pull. It's not bad, just not as smooth. The single action has a little creep, too, just not the quality of the new lockwork. I'm thinkin' the newer lockwork with the transfer bar is just an improved lock design. Hard to come to such a conclusion with such a small sample size, though. But the newer gun is quite a bit slicker.

I carry the older one IWB, though. It ain't bad and it's got a 3" barrel vs 4", carries IWB better. Also, the bluing is holster worn a bit while my newer one's nickel finish still looks almost new. I reserve that one for outdoor use in belt holsters. They both are unreal accurate. I got bargins on both of 'em used, couple of the best deals I've ever made on handguns.

bakert
January 1, 2007, 10:17 PM
MCgunner, my model 66 has the older lockwork. I understand the newer ones are better and tighter. A while back I looked at one of the 7 shot Taurus trackers my son had. A very well made gun to my eyes.

jad0110
January 2, 2007, 12:24 AM
While a rough DA seems to be the norm for .22 revolvers of all makes/brands, I have heard so much negative about the 94 Taurus, I think I'll avoid that one in the future. There seem to be a lot of complaints about it. I have a Rossi (also a rough DA) that shoots very well, so don't need a .22 revolver anyway.

MCGunner,

There are people on this forum with good 94s, but most do seem to have problems. After I bought the 94 I heard the 970 Tracker is generally MUCH better.

Ruger makes a pretty good DA 22LR in their SP101, though it too has a rough trigger (not near as bad as the 94).

I can attest though that the S&W K-22 has a very nice, slick trigger identical to other S&W K Frames. Very slick and very precise. A pure joy to shoot. I don't know if you've ever had the chance to fire one, but try one out if you can.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Model 85" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!