How to remove FAL carry handle on a scoped FAL

PDA

Retro
December 29, 2006, 12:40 AM
I could not find any info about taking the carry handle off from my FAL since I have my FAL scoped and the carry handle is now defunct because it is impeded by the scope.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to remove FAL carry handle on a scoped FAL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nightcrawler
December 29, 2006, 01:50 AM
You have to remove the handguards first, then take out the gas plug/piston/piston spring assembly.

Now, sticking out in front of the receiver is a little metal tube that the gas piston went into. This is the Gas Tube Nut. You'll need to unscrew this, and it might be in there snugly. Once it's removed, you can pull out the carry handle, but you might want to replace it with a washer. DSA makes such a washer, it costs like two bucks.

http://www.dsarms.com/images/schemgas.gif

The Gas Tube Nut is part number eighteen in this little diagram.

Retro
December 29, 2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks Nightcrawler... is that replacement washer really necessary for functional reasons? Or is it simply a cosmatic fix?

Thanks.

AndyC
December 29, 2006, 02:10 PM
Purely cosmetic - if it helps any, the South African military just bent the carry-handle to and fro until it broke, leaving a little ring there (the Rhodesians did the same on their FALs).

If you enjoyed reading about "How to remove FAL carry handle on a scoped FAL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!