MAUSER ACCURACY

PDA

RENO V
December 29, 2006, 01:19 AM
I have an old sporterized Mauser. I hadn't shot it in years and decided to shoot a deer with it. When I checked it on a target, it shot all over the place. 20 some odd years ago, I thought it was pretty accurate. I used to shoot targets with it, and I remember shooting a squirrel off a tree limb with it. I took it apart to clean it, and saw that the action screw can not be tightened fully due to the set screw that fits into a notch on the action screw. Seems like a loose action screw would not be conducive to good accuracy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "MAUSER ACCURACY" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cracked butt
December 29, 2006, 02:25 AM
I took it apart to clean it, and saw that the action screw can not be tightened fully due to the set screw that fits into a notch on the action screw.

The locking screws, while nifty, aren't necessary. Just tighten the action screws and leave the locking screws out if they don't fit right.

yooper_sjd
December 29, 2006, 08:27 AM
i have an old turk, had the same problem. Might have had some corrosion at the muzzle and wore away some of your rifling. Find a smith and have have recrown your muzzle, this should tighten your grouping right up! If it don't, sit down with a 100 rds and shoot away, get use to the rifle again.

If you enjoyed reading about "MAUSER ACCURACY" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!