AK question - siderail

PDA

WinchesterAA
December 29, 2006, 02:39 AM
How do you get that thing off?

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/magwel/magw4.jpg

I'm referring to that thing that innevitably snags every possible piece of cloth within a 5 foot radius that sits just infront of the stock on the reciever.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK question - siderail" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Son of Sam
December 29, 2006, 04:04 AM
It's riveted to the receiver, so if you want it off badly enough, you'll have to grind the rivets mashes off (from the inside of the receiver) and push the rivets out. Then you'll have holes in your receiver to look at, though.

carpettbaggerr
December 29, 2006, 04:17 AM
m referring to that thing that innevitably snags every possible piece of cloth within a 5 foot radius that sits just infront of the stock on the reciever.The pistol grip? :confused:

rbernie
December 29, 2006, 12:44 PM
I think he means the scope mount rail on the left side of the receiver. And, as SoS pointed out, it's riveted on.

MikeH
December 29, 2006, 01:00 PM
Sell it, and buy one without the rail.

usmcdoc14
December 29, 2006, 01:10 PM
put a scope on it. seems to cover those nasty sharp edges nicely :D

Kymasabe
December 29, 2006, 09:36 PM
If I were you, I'd be glad it's there! My Bulgarian AK doesn't have one and I wish it did. My sugestion is buy a scope mount and throw a nice Red-Dot up there.

WinchesterAA
December 30, 2006, 02:33 AM
Well i thought about that, but I'm buying an EOTech and an ultimak gas tube rail to put it on.

mndfusion
December 30, 2006, 05:16 AM
leave it alone-- you will have to fill in the holes if you want it smooth.

It may even add a slight amount of strength to the reciver?

usmcdoc14
December 30, 2006, 09:35 AM
Well i thought about that, but I'm buying an EOTech and an ultimak gas tube rail to put it on

on mine I thought about that but then you can not use the steel sights as a backup. Whatever is mounted there bocks the front sight.
You can put a quick detach mount of the EOtech but I like just being able to drop my cheek weld a little and there are the steel sights.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK question - siderail" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!