Lateral Stringing Problem, Recomend me a front sight

PDA

Jenrick
December 29, 2006, 08:01 PM
So I'm at the range with my M-1 today, shooting 8 round groups (funny how I choose that number...)

Anyway after the first clip or so I start to notice my groups shifting left. Another clip, further left. Load the next clip in and shoulder my rifle, I have no front sight. The allen screw had come lose, and I'm supposing the sight had started to migrate across the dovetail, and then fell off.

Any suggestions on a good front sight?

-Jenrick

If you enjoyed reading about "Lateral Stringing Problem, Recomend me a front sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bofe954
December 29, 2006, 08:43 PM
I just got a National Match sight set for my M1A at Fulton Armory.

The M1 front sight is 12.95 the National Match is $30.00. They sell the screw for a buck if you can manage to find teh sight.

You may be able to find cheaper, but I was real happy with the service and products I got.

Jenrick
December 29, 2006, 11:28 PM
The only diffrence between the two is the front side blade width?

-Jenrick

Onmilo
December 30, 2006, 11:16 AM
Mostly blade width, standard sight is .072" and can be .069" to .075" and still be within tolerance.

NM front sight width is set at .062" with no + or - tolerance, the blade height is the nominal for standard blade with no tolerance variables and the blade angles must be perpendicular and 90 degrees.
.062" was the width determined to not cover the 600 yard bullseye target center.

If you don't want or need a genuine USGI front sight then Smith Enterprises produces an excellent NM front sight for the M! Garand.
http://www.smithenterprise.com

bofe954
December 30, 2006, 04:34 PM
I think for plinking the regular sights are fine. I am trying to start imitating a highpower match when I go to the range. I haven't ordered the targets yet but anyway...

With the targets my range has and standard sights-

At 100 yards the front sight is as wide as the colored portion of the target.

At 200 yards the front sight is as wide as the whole target.

I haven't tested out the NM sights yet. I also got a NM peep which has a smaller hole. It also has fine adjustments so I can adjust elevation to 1/2 minute. It is a very small peep though. I think it may be pretty tough to see in low light and I may end up using the NM front sight and standard peep.

The peep is a bit of a project to install. The front site (as you well know) is easy to replace.

The THR standard advice- get the NM front and the standard, experiment.

30Cal
December 30, 2006, 04:58 PM
I like the standard front sight. If you shoot at a range where the sun is behind the target (Camp Perry in the morning), it's easiest to center up on the target frame and for me, that's easier to do with the wider front blade.

Ty

If you enjoyed reading about "Lateral Stringing Problem, Recomend me a front sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!