9mm powder recommendations... Bluedot or Bullseye

PDA

Vitamin G
December 29, 2006, 08:27 PM
Yes yes, i know. Its a rather limited selection, but i use bullseye for target loads .45acp and bluedot for 44mag\10mm, and I live in an apartment and space is at a premium, especially buying in the economy-jugs.

Looking at loading for a glock 17, BHP's, and P7M8. Eventually i'd like to get a Kel-tec Sub2000 if that matters, since it has a much longer barrel. Bullet weight isn't really important. I'd like some suggestions on which might be the "better" powder. I could also probably finish out either the bluedot or bullseye, and switch to something else, but i'd really like to stick to two powders (or less).

Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm powder recommendations... Bluedot or Bullseye" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
December 29, 2006, 08:33 PM
I use neither, but there is published data for both. I would probably use the Bull, there is no pistol caliber that has not been loaded with Bullseye at one time or another and it usually works ok.
The Blue Dot might give you more velocity when you get that carbine.

LeonCarr
December 29, 2006, 09:43 PM
Bullseye for all 9mm bullet weights except 147s, Blue Dot for 147s. Consult your loading manuals for charge weights.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Walkalong
December 29, 2006, 10:17 PM
Blue Dot

Vitamin G
December 29, 2006, 10:59 PM
Any particular reason why bluedot?

I figure in the carbine I would end up using it, because its much slower burning.

Walkalong
December 30, 2006, 10:28 AM
Bullseye is a bit fast for the 9MM unless you are looking for target loads. It will work. It seems to be a powder that will make almost anything go bang. Blue Dot will give better velocities, especially in the carbine. If you don't mind getting a different powder AA # 5 is very good. Of course if you are going to get a different powder we could debate that forever. Blue Dot is a good powder. Between Bullseye and Blue Dot you can load just about any pistol cartridge, although you may not get max performance out of some. If you just like Alliant powders try some American Select next. Good stuff.

ClarkEMyers
December 30, 2006, 11:57 AM
When I carried a 9mm pocket pistol I used Bluedot -

If I had to carry handloads rather than factory and I had to carry 9mm and I had to choose between Bullseye and Bluedot then I'd go Bluedot.

I eventually decided that trying to make a screamer out of the 9mm wasn't worth the effort and that Bluedot was temperature sensitive - at the time I thought the 90 grain Sierra JHC in front of a case full of Bluedot was the epitome of light but fast bullets.

Today I wouldn't try to overload the 9mm and so likely settle for plinking loads with Bullseye depending on how clean burning I could get it.

nelson133
December 30, 2006, 02:28 PM
Bluedot works better for near max loads. I have loaded 9mm with bluedot and it worked ok, smoky but not as smoky as bullseye. The best reason to pick bullseye is that you get more loads per pound of powder. The advantage with bluedot is that a double charge would be obvious.

SlamFire1
December 30, 2006, 03:40 PM
I have done load development for my ďfunĒ 9mm, which happens to be a P9, with both Bullseye and Bluedot. I have done a lot of load testing with both powders and I can say without reservation I do not recommend Bluedot for pistols.

My 9mm is the only pistol which I am using Bluedot, and that is to get rid of the four pounds I have. And it is marginal in that pistol. I am shooting a load of 6.0 grains with a 125 LRN. It just functions the pistol at a velocity of 910 fps. A load of 6.5 grains will give just over 1100 fps. But I prefer Bullseye, a charge of 4.0 grains gives me a velocity of 1100 fps with a 125 LRN.

The basic problem I have had with Blue Dot is horribly large extreme velocity spreadsin every non magnum caliber I have used it in. I mean in the order of 250 fps spreads. That Bullseye load is around 85 fps ES. I prefer a powder that gives a constant kick in an autopistol. The more consistent the velocity the smoother and more reliable the gun function. What I get with BlueDot is more slide velocity than I want at the high end of the spread, and an failure to feed on the low end.

I have tried Blue Dot in the 45 ACP and the slide action was too violent. Blue Dot must keep a high residual breech pressure and the cases are popping out like corks. Beats up my M1911. Blue Dot also leads the barrel in my 357. :cuss: Donít know why, but on the same day, same gun, same bullet, same velocity, 2400 does not lead the barrel. So I am not one to claim that Blue Dot is a satisfactory magnum powder either. I think 2400 is better.

I am trying to get down to three powders for all my pistol loading, and they are Bullseye, Unique, and 2400. Those will cover the entire spread from 32 S&W Long to 44 Mag. :D Use up your Blue Dot and donít look back.

Walkalong
December 30, 2006, 07:12 PM
Use Blue Dot with jacketed or plated bullets and it is very good.

1911user
December 31, 2006, 04:29 PM
Buying pistol powder in large jugs causes the situation you are in now. Neither powder is really good for 9mm in full power loads. One is too fast and the other too slow, but you know this already. Why not just buy the right powder and use the others for more suitable loads? Powder keeps for many years if stored correctly. Another possibility is to trade the jug(s) of bullseye to another reloader and get unique or 231; either will work much better as a do-everything powder for full power loads in 9mm and 45.

Loading 9mm using slow powder doesn't help much with a kel-tec sub2K (or any blowback design). Do a search here, someone did quite a few test loads and it just didn't help much especially with the heavy 9mm bullets. If it was a locked breech design, then a slower powder would help noticably.

Black Snowman
January 1, 2007, 12:43 AM
If you've got a long barrel the slow poweders work quite well even with a light bullet. The Bullseye would probably be fine for a compact where you won't get full oomph from the round anyway. But, like 1911user said, picking up a more suitable powder might be a good idea. I've had good luck with AA #7 (which can also be used for lighter bullets in the 10mm) and Tite-Group (which I've found to be an extremely accurate, clean and versitle powder).

cherryriver
January 1, 2007, 12:55 AM
For 9mm, I keep coming back to Winchester Super Field, WSF. I tend towards the heavier bullets to keep the loads subsonic, and 4.0gr behind a Berry's 147gr plated goes 920fps in my Commander. It's clean and consistent, and WSF is pretty cheap around here.
Quiet, too, and it produces less apparent recoil than the Winchester White Box stuff. Really.
Unique is my second choice.
Bill

HSMITH
January 1, 2007, 03:00 AM
Blue Dot gets wicked nasty toward the top of the data or if something isn't quite right. If you use it be VERY careful. It will do some things extremely well, but get even a little bit careless or have something go wrong and it can be really bad. I use Blue Dot in 357 magnum with light bullets and that is all unless other specific precautions are followed. For instance, I will not load Blue Dot in 9mm or 40 without using an EGW undersize die, setback with Blue Dot is not something I will ever risk. IMO Blue Dot is suitable only for very experienced reloaders that know what they are getting in to, know what they are risking, and know how to deal with it.

Bullseye is a lot more forgiving, I would use it.

Steve C
January 1, 2007, 07:22 AM
I've never used Bullseye in the 9mm but I have loaded Red Dot which is very close in burn rate and for moderate power 1,120 to 1,140 fps loads with jacketed 115 gr Remington bulk bullets it worked very well with single digit SD's.

If you want to push much faster then Blue Dot will do it. I ran some 8.0gr loads of Blue Dot with 115gr JHP's from mixed cases over the chrono and got 1,224 fps average. Unlike Slamfire1 I didn't see too much of a variation in velocity with a SD of only 21.30 fps and an ES of 59 fps but I live in AZ with warm weather the norm and was testing in temps of around 80 F. Blue Dot is known to be temperature sensitive and reported giving erratic results in cold temperatures. Personally I find Unique to be better suited to the 9mm and if I want defense/hunting level velocity there's not much better out there than Power Pistol which is the canister grade of the powder developed for the US military's 9mm loading.

GeneS
January 1, 2007, 11:26 AM
Bullseye would be fine for light target loads. Bluedot is really too slow for 9mm. Someone mentioned WW 231. It's fine for target loads but the burn rate is almost as fast as Bullseye. I would not try to load anything hot with it in 9mm.

SIRVEYR666
January 1, 2007, 12:21 PM
Power Pistol + 9mm=:D

Luggernut
January 1, 2007, 09:13 PM
Another +1 for Power Pistol. Buy a pound.. it's cheap.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm powder recommendations... Bluedot or Bullseye" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!