Merry Christmas to me...and a 1917

PDA

iamkris
December 29, 2006, 11:03 PM
Here's my Christmas present to myself. BBT just delivered it to my front porch (gotta love a C&R)

http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976808156-1.jpg

I sold several guns about 15 years ago when I "got out" of shooting. My dear wife encouraged me to get back in a few years back and my bank account has been suffering ever since.

Two of the guns I most regretted selling were a BHP and a Brazilian contract 1917. The BHP was replaced a couple of years ago. I've been looking for a good 1917 for quite a while but **heavens** they are expensive these days. I bought my original for $185 back in 1989. Well, I finally replaced it with a real US Property S&W 1917...manufactured in 1918.

She has a shiny bore, stong rifling, locks up tight, crisp single action, smooth double action and the springs are strong. Finish is about 80-85%. This revolver has spent a fair amount of time going in and out of a holster from the looks of it.

I wish my mil-surps could talk to tell me about their lives.

If you enjoyed reading about "Merry Christmas to me...and a 1917" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
depicts
December 30, 2006, 01:34 AM
iamkris, nice looking 1917. I have one too and it's one of my favorite revolvers. Welcome back to the "dark side" :)

Tearlachblair
December 30, 2006, 03:24 AM
The 1917 is considered a Curio/Relic? What are the laws pertaining to those again?

iamkris
December 30, 2006, 09:14 AM
The 1917 is considered a Curio/Relic? What are the laws pertaining to those again?

Yup.

1) Get C&R
2) Find C&R firearm to buy (roughly WWII-era and before...go to the ATF sight. They maintain a complete list of what is considered C&R)
3) Buy it
4) Have firearm delivered to your house, no intermediary required
5) Enter firearm into your "bound book"
6) Become poor from all the mil-surps you are buying

If you enjoyed reading about "Merry Christmas to me...and a 1917" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!