School me in FAL.

PDA

The Deer Hunter
December 29, 2006, 10:11 PM
So yeah, from what i see they are pretty kickass and they are high powered.

PLease tell me everything.

If you enjoyed reading about "School me in FAL." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ny32182
December 29, 2006, 10:33 PM
www.falfiles.com

Start reading stickies.

The Deer Hunter
December 29, 2006, 10:48 PM
but i dont want to register(in whiney voice)

ny32182
December 29, 2006, 11:01 PM
I didn't realize you had to register... that is unfortunate.

"Tell me everything" is pretty broad... The FAL is a great rifle. Personally I consider it the greatest all around 7.62x51mm battle rifle ever built.

A search in this forum alone should turn up a wealth of info.

Hoppy590
December 30, 2006, 02:30 AM
the FAL is more of a family of rifles than a specific one. Chambered in 7,62X51 nato. (.308). it is AKA'ed as a , Belgium FAL, *oops* ,German G1, Brazilian Imbel FAL (.223),British L1A1. all are basicly the same rifle with diffetant pro's and con's. so really we would need more infor to comment on any real ups or downs

check out http://world.guns.ru/assault/as24f-e.htm for more info

Added: there are metric and Imperial (inch) patterns of the rifles, that are not interchangable.

vanfunk
December 30, 2006, 07:19 AM
it is AKA'ed as a , Belgium FAL, Spanish CETME,German G3, Brazilian Imbel FAL (.223),British L1A1.

whoa, Hoppy!

The Spanish CETME and German G3 rifles are delayed roller-locked blowback actions, and bear no operational resemblance to the FAL. Totally different rifles.

HTH,
vanfunk

El Tejon
December 30, 2006, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I'm confused as well. How is the G3 like the FAL?:confused:

I guess both are in .308 and both were adopted by the Bundeswehr, but just what exactly do you mean, Hop?:confused:

Fosbery
December 30, 2006, 10:05 AM
West Germany did use the FAL, designated as the G1 - not the G3. The G3 is a compeltely different rifle made by HK. Spain never used a FAL as far as I know.

The Deer Hunter
December 30, 2006, 10:10 AM
So, how much do they go for?

HorseSoldier
December 30, 2006, 10:34 AM
Where I live, you can find a Century International Arms FAL build for around $600 (before or after taxes, depending on how lucky a deal you get), which also seems to be around the starting price for kit builds done by local (pro or amateur) gunsmiths as well. All of the above can be hit and miss on quality and reliability.

DSA is the place to buy from, in my opinion, followed by a kit build from a gunsmith you either trust personally or who has a good reputation over on places like FAL Files. Those approaches should be rather less hit and miss. An entry-level DSA has an MSRP of around $800, I think, though locally I've yet to see anything but the more top-end kind of models that go for substantially more than that retail.

My personal experience has been that I have a Century rifle built on a Rhodesian parts kit that shoots reliably and with minute-of-man sort of accuracy (others mileage with CAI/CIA rifle varies). I also have a DSA Para FAL that is a very fine weapon -- pretty much everything the Century can do, it does a bit better, starting with fit and finish and on to reliability and accuracy, etc.

Father Knows Best
December 30, 2006, 10:47 AM
The DSA models are the best. A DSA StG58, which is assembled from Austrian surplus parts including a steel lower receiver, will run around $750-1000. A DSA SA58, which is built using almost entirely new parts including an alloy lower (lighter weight), starts at around $1000 and goes up to $1500 or so.

MisterPX
December 30, 2006, 12:09 PM
Imbel's are good also.

Ammo is scarce and pricy at this time though...

hksw
December 30, 2006, 12:27 PM
IMO, the information available at falfiles.com is well worth the bother and fingerprint of registering.

Ian Sean
December 30, 2006, 12:45 PM
If you really don't want to register at the FAL files...just do a search here under the rifle section for "FAL" we have had many good threads with lots of info, general and specific on the "Free Worlds Right Arm" the venerable FAL.

If you want more, or need something more specific, then register at the FALFILES.:)

zoom6zoom
December 30, 2006, 01:53 PM
but i dont want to register(in whiney voice)

If you register before January 1st, it's free!

(I'tll be free after January 1st, too, of course.)

Molon Labe
December 30, 2006, 02:11 PM
I bought my first FAL four years ago. It was an Imbel (metric). It was a great rifle, but it blew up in my face while I was shooting it. :eek: Not deterred, I built another FAL using a new Imbel receiver and new Imbel barrel. (I salvaged what I could from my old FAL.) It's my current "homeland defense rifle". I love it, and shoot it regularly. :)

If you're thinking about getting a FAL, here are some words of wisdom from yours truly:

1. No matter how tempting the price may be, do not buy a FAL built by Century.

2. Both the "inch" and "metric" versions of the FAL are good. The inch version, however, has unfairly gotten a bad rap, but only because most Century FALs are inch. (See #1.)

3. Pay close attention to the manufacturer of the receiver. Good receivers include DSA and Imbel. Do not purchase the FAL if the receiver was manufactured by Century.

4. The "hey day" of the FAL is pretty much over. Four years ago, the kits were plentiful and you could buy quality imported receivers at a reasonable price (e.g. Imbel). Those days are gone. :( If you want to buy a quality-built FAL today, you're going to have to shell out some bucks. If you're lucky you might run across a used but good Imbel FAL for around $900. Other than that, you'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new DSA.

Hoppy590
December 30, 2006, 02:16 PM
my mistake in reading. appologys. i probibly read the fal is the G1. then misread the Cetme similar to the G1 when its really the G3.

Coronach
December 30, 2006, 06:55 PM
Be advised, just because the rifle is built on an Imbel receiver does not mean it is a good rifle. FALs are great rifles that can be assembled pretty easily. Unfortunately, some of the people that assemble them should not have access to pointy tools or wrenches. In other words, the end quality will vary by the skill of the builder. The only way to know you have a good builder is to go with someone you know, or with a reputable maker. Arizona Response Systems and DSA make some of the best. They're priced accordingly.

That said, Imbel is a high-quality receiver. Avoid anything with the name "Hesse" or "Vulcan Arms".

Mike

AndyC
December 30, 2006, 08:51 PM
3 different types of FAL upper-receivers from top to bottom:

Type 2: More material left at the rear of the receiver to mitigate cracking under full-auto fire.

Type 3: Final design, the strongest (and heaviest) type - designed not so much for strength as ease of manufacture (fewer milling operations required).

Type 1: The original design.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/8352/receiversaq1.jpg

Yeah, Hesse and Vulcan (same people) have a bad rep - so too does Entreprise.

Century rifles themselves can be very hit & miss (the angry beavers reputation), but they seem to be making decent receivers these days and are actively sought by FAL-builders because they're half the price of DSA and can be made to work pretty easily.

AndyC
December 30, 2006, 09:09 PM
If you purchase an upper receiver (or a complete rifle), you're looking for something with dual feedramps - known as widow's peak - for ease of feeding from both sides of the magazine:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/354/feedrampwidowspeaktx0.jpg

The incorrect style we call the unibrow and is shown here below - this can be made to work, but takes some knowledge and elbow-grease. If you're inexperienced or leery of doing it yourself, stay away from the Unibrow receiver - you can see where the bullets have hit the ramp, trying to feed:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4125/feedrampunibrowqd9.jpg

Pics stolen from falfiles.com - thanks, W.E.G.

AndyC
December 30, 2006, 09:27 PM
Lot of good info over at Wikipedia on the FN-FAL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_FAL)

Here's the Para version:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3223/sa58stdparawf6.gif

usmcdoc14
December 30, 2006, 10:49 PM
1. No matter how tempting the price may be, do not buy a FAL built by Century.

i would disagree...to a point :neener:

unless you learn and I mean LEARN about FALs I would stay away from them. Once you have knowledge on your side you can pick them up from people who think they suck or are having simple fixable problems with thiers (and they blame it on Century)
I picked up a Century that needed to be rebarreled (and came WITH the new barrel and a DSA mount, and a full lower, and a tapco mount and 1k of ammo) for $400 :evil:

Unless you know the builder or can test the weapon I would stick with DSA or Arizona Response Systems . yes they will near rape you on price but you know what you are getting.

oh and as for the "Hesse" or "Vulcan Arms" I wont touch them, you cant polish that much of a turd :D

If you enjoyed reading about "School me in FAL." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!