EGW Oversize Bushing

PDA

TX1911fan
December 30, 2006, 12:46 PM
Any of you who use an EGW Oversize Bushing on your 1911, I have a potentially very stupid question. I just got one, and after some minor fitting, have been trying to install it. Because it is wider than a normal bushing, I can't get the plug past it when re-assembling the pistol. I've tried the regular GI plug, and have tried a 2 piece FLGR, and neither make it past the bushing. Do I need to use a different plug? Or assemble in a different order?

If you enjoyed reading about "EGW Oversize Bushing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
December 30, 2006, 01:26 PM
EGW Oversize Bushing

Oversized everywhere. Carefully work it down to fit

gc70
December 30, 2006, 01:38 PM
The bushing is oversized in several dimensions.

If you are not able to insert the plug down into the slide opening when the bushing is in place, the stud on the side of the bushing may be engaging the slot in the slide too soon and preventing the bushing from turning far enough clockwise to provide clearance for the plug. Put some marker ink on the top of the bushing stud and rotate the bushing in the slide to see where the stud is binding.

If the plug will go into the slide but will not push outward from the slide opening into proper engagement with the bushing, the cutout in the bottom of the bushing face that engages the recoil spring plug is oversized. Carefully sand or file the cutout on the bushing face until it fits the end of the plug.

TX1911fan
December 30, 2006, 11:17 PM
Ok, I got it to work. My problem was not with the bushing rotating, it goes all the way back like it should. It was just too wide for the plug to pass by. I put a FLGR plug in and then put the spring up through the back, then screwed in the rest of the FLGR, so now I have a captive recoil spring. Then I put the slide, with the captive recoil spring, on the frame. It is a little harder to do, so we'll see if the oversize bushing gives me any benefits. If not, I'll go back to a regular one.

If you enjoyed reading about "EGW Oversize Bushing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!