Please HELP 9mm vs. .308

PDA

Miamitiger
December 30, 2006, 12:48 PM
! am planning to buy a rifle. I want a well known, easy to find caliber.
I want the rifle for target shooting, hunting and self defense.
Which one is better the 9mm or the .308
Please explain your answer.
Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Please HELP 9mm vs. .308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
carterbeauford
December 30, 2006, 12:50 PM
where to start with this one...

9MM Luger aka 9x19MM is a relatively low powered pistol cartridge, considered by many to be the minimum effective self defense cartridge.

.308 Winchester and its cousin 7.62x51 aka 7.62MM NATO is a high powered rifle cartridge effective against medium and some large game and personnel at long ranges, with the right rifle and shooter.

You can't really hunt much of anything with a rifle chambered for a pistol cartridge, other than small game at close range.

What I am trying to say is they are two totally different cartridges which fulfill two totally different roles. Simple and direct answer to your question is that .308 is a much "better" cartridge purely in terms of effectiveness of neutralizing a threat in a self defense situation, but there are a lot more variables to choosing a cartridge than this. Did you have a specific type of rifle in mind? An Springfield M1 or a Kel-Tec carbine? Home defense or carry in your vehicle? Fill us in...

bogie
December 30, 2006, 12:51 PM
What does your professor think you'll get out of this exercise?

michiganfan
December 30, 2006, 12:54 PM
How about an AR in 223. have you thoght about that option

Firehand
December 30, 2006, 12:56 PM
If you're talking the 9mm Luger cartridge, for hunting anything above rabbits the .308 would be the choice. Far more powerful and more effective range.

However, if by self-defense you mean around the home if someone breaks in, .308 is WAY too much cartridge. 9mm with good hollowpoints would be the choice between the two.

Miamitiger
December 30, 2006, 12:58 PM
Michiganfan thanks, buy probably I would feel better with the AR-15 in .308

carterbeauford
December 30, 2006, 01:00 PM
perhaps a merge is in order? this is posted in three seperate forums.

Miamitiger
December 30, 2006, 01:03 PM
Cartebeauford is posted in only two!!!...If you cannot help don't answer

MisterPX
December 30, 2006, 01:13 PM
Shouldn't be posted in 2, that's what he's trying to tell you.:scrutiny:

And if you wanna lip off to me too, maybe you should read your OTHER threads.

wooderson
December 30, 2006, 01:52 PM
You might want to look around for the new CZ P-08. It'll be their new flagship pistol - a compact frame (similar to the P-01) chambered in .308 Winchester.

The Bulgarian police have already accepted it as their standard sidearm. Best of both worlds.

sumpnz
December 30, 2006, 02:03 PM
I smell a troll. Time will tell if Miamitiger is serious or not. For now I'll give him the benifit of the doubt.

That said, AR-15's don't come in .308. That would be the AR-10. The basic structure of the AR-15 simply won't support a cartidge the size a .308 without some hefty modifications.

Lupinus
December 30, 2006, 02:04 PM
what do you plan on doing with it?

9mm carbines can be fun but don't plan on hunting much with them. Maybe rabbits and assorted small game at fairly close range. Figure it for hunting anything you could with a .22mag at likely closer ranges. However for fun plinking and home defense it could be great.

If you want to stay with a pistol round in a rifle and want to hunt up to deer sized game out to say 100 yards look into a .357 magnum lever gun. Ammo can be found anywhere, very light recoil, lots of fun, and as I said you will be good for deer sized game out to 100 yards. You will also find more suitable hunting rounds for .357 then you will for 9mm. Also more power but still within reason for home defense. Also for cheaper plinking you can use .38 specials in it.

Now if you want a good long range target and hunting gun go with the .308. I wouldn't personaly use it for HD though as it is way overkill. Now if you live alone in a little house a mile from anything else it will be fine so long as you don't mind blood splatter and holes in a few walls. But if you live with others or in town I'd stay away from a .308. I have a 30-30 for the role and only because its the best option I have, and even then I have seriously considered my marlin loaded with cci velocitors instead do to the fact even 30-30 is quite likely to go through a home invader.

If you want the best of both worlds in a rifle format I'd ditch both the 9mm and .308 and go for a .357 lever gun

bogie
December 30, 2006, 04:15 PM
What you really need is a Thompson-Center Contender, chambered in .45-70... It's FAR superior to the NEF handi-rifle when the rounds start impacting the duct-taped trauma plate...

carterbeauford
December 30, 2006, 04:41 PM
Cartebeauford is posted in only two!!!...If you cannot help don't answer

I'm trying to help as much as I can given the quality of the question.

What you really need is a Thompson-Center Contender, chambered in .45-70...

do those kick any worse than a 9MM, and do they take high capacity clips?

Notch
December 30, 2006, 07:03 PM
The .308 is the best damn round for both fun and puting something that walks the earth down for the count. All day shooting comfort with a serious wallop.

Lupinus
December 30, 2006, 08:01 PM
do those kick any worse than a 9MM, and do they take high capacity clips?
No personal experience with a 45-70 but it is pretty strong stuff. From what I have looked into its recoil ranges from mild to wild depending on the loading. 45-70 (to my knowlage) is generaly a lever gun round so no not really normal capacity. (Sorry, I refuse to refer to what is suppsoed to be normal as high because some idiot writing laws for things who knows nothing about thinks its high) And its magazine :)

The .308 is the best damn round for both fun and puting something that walks the earth down for the count. All day shooting comfort with a serious wallop.
You'll hear this for most any round. .308 will more then do the job, but at the cost of likely passing right through the target should oyu ever use it in self defense.

carterbeauford
December 31, 2006, 12:39 PM
No personal experience with a 45-70 but it is pretty strong stuff. From what I have looked into its recoil ranges from mild to wild depending on the loading. 45-70 (to my knowlage) is generaly a lever gun round so no not really normal capacity. (Sorry, I refuse to refer to what is suppsoed to be normal as high because some idiot writing laws for things who knows nothing about thinks its high) And its magazine

Hah, you missed my sarcasm.

My subtle point was that one needs to get some basic firearms education before attempting to choose a weapon. I made an honest effort to offer some assistance, I don't think the original poster wants to learn anything.

BigFatKen
December 31, 2006, 01:36 PM
I want to know if a PC is better than a Mac, abortion should be banned and if global warming is real.

The start of this post might as well have "is black really white". It makes no sense.

LkWinnipesaukee
December 31, 2006, 04:15 PM
Its like comparing a bicycle to an 18 wheeler.

Target shooting? Unless its always under 25 yards, go with the 308.

I want to know if a PC is better than a Mac, abortion should be banned and if global warming is real.

No its not. Mac is better by far, and Linux is better than Mac by far. Yes it should be banned, and yes it is, and I'm loving every minute of this weather. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Please HELP 9mm vs. .308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!