whant to build a better .303(i need help)

PDA

rwmcquigge
December 30, 2006, 03:03 PM
:banghead: i am having trouble fiding out if can i build a .303 brit around a remington pump!
can any one tell me if it can be done or am i just dreaming.
i love the .303 but im not a fan of the old surplus bolt actions,
i think its an awsome deer gun and would love to build it into a modern firearm.i know their are other calibers that are great on deer as well,but i just love my 303's.
can anyone help me to know wether or not its possibl.thx>

If you enjoyed reading about "whant to build a better .303(i need help)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mustanger98
December 30, 2006, 06:56 PM
First off, I'm not voting your poll because you didn't list anything I absolutely wouldn't pick. The only reason I wouldn't automatically choose a .308 is because I don't have a rifle chambered for it.

Now, as to your other question...

I don't know about chambering a Remington pump in .303British because of the magazine vs. the rim's diameter. I'd have to see a Remington 7600 bolt face to know, but that may have to be reconfigured. Other than that, it might could work because of the action length vs. the cartridge OAL.

.303Brit. = 7.7x56R
.30-06 = 7.62x63

What you have to watch for is feeding issues associated with chambering a shorter rimmed cartridge through an action originally built for a longer rimless cartridge.

Myself... I recall Remington used to chamber their Rolling Blocks for .303British among other chamberings. I wouldn't mind either finding or building, probably building considering cost of buying an original, a Rolling Block in this chambering.

BTW, I like the No.1Mk3 and No.4Mk1/2 and I don't see why H&R won't offer a barrel in .303British.

shooter503
December 30, 2006, 08:46 PM
The British military spent years developing the 303 rifle. Frankly, if you want to use the 303 round there is no better action than the original one. You get faultless feeding, ten rounds at your disposal, and a rifle that, if sporterised, can be light and well balanced. Downside - very difficult to mount a nice scope and often so abused by previous owners that it needs a fairly thorough going over.

The big factor with a 303 used for hunting is the bullets. Military surplus 303 cartridges use pointed FMJ bullets that are not really suitable for hunting use. The Canadians produce a better bullet but the best 303 hunting bullets are made in Australia.

mustanger98
December 30, 2006, 08:55 PM
I shoot PMP's 174gr SP offering. This is South African hunting ammo. Several guys told me it was loaded to MkVII ball spec and that PMP was able to do that because they manufactured MkVII ball for the Brits for a long time. I shot it in my .303's and POI at 100yds is just a smidge high of POA to be dead on at 200yds. I was bustin' clays on the 100yd berm.

DougW
December 31, 2006, 10:58 AM
Some years ago, I think Savage tried using the .303 Brit in the 99, but the rimmed case was too tough to cycle reliably. They then created the .303 Savage, which is nothing like the .303 Brit. The .303 Savage is a semi rimless (I think) so that it will run through the lever action 99.

I am a little biased toward the .303, since I have 14 rifles chambeered for the .303 Brit. I agree that a rifle like my #5mk1 would be s dandy field rifle, loaded with 180gr Game Kings would be a gppd load for deer, bit I (personally speaking only) am not too excited about the .303 for bear (I chose the 30.06 in the poll). I guess it would be good in a pinch, with the 10 round nagazine. Glad I pactice rapid fire with my Enfields:evil:.

BTW, I started handloading the .303 about 3 years ago, to really fine tune the capability of my rifles.

shooter503
December 31, 2006, 11:45 AM
I do not know if 5 round mags are still available. They made the rifle easier to carry in the field.

mrmeval
December 31, 2006, 12:45 PM
All the rounds listed in the poll are equally valid for deer. Some you didn't mention are some of the weapons of our enemies which also have taken deer.

It sounds like you want this rifle chambered back to it's parents caliber.
http://www.marstar.ca/gf-AIA/index.shtm
Beautiful guns and the one report I read of them say they're a dream to shoot.

You can get a Jungle carbine which can take deer just fine.

Or you can get a bubba'd no4 mk1 and clean it up to be a good hunting gun. I'm pretty sure you could get shaw to rebarrel it and clean up the fit and headspace so that it would be an excellent shooter.

entropy
January 1, 2007, 02:23 AM
It can be done; Is it economically feasible? No.

I did not answer your poll because you did not list 7.62x54R. .30-06 would be my second choice, though I currently do not own a rifle in this caliber.

If you enjoyed reading about "whant to build a better .303(i need help)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!