M1Garand for Vets at $125 each??

PDA

twoblink
May 28, 2003, 05:20 AM
My buddy is stationed out in Gitmo, and he said that there were rumors on the base that if you are a vet, you can buy, for once in a life time, an M1Garand for $125??

Someone verify this or deny it? He asked me, and I said I didn't know, so I'm hoping someone on the forum will know..

If you enjoyed reading about "M1Garand for Vets at $125 each??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bernie
May 28, 2003, 08:30 AM
I am guessing that he is referring to CMP. They do have a program to sell an M1 to WWII vets at lower prices than what the rest of us can buy them. But as a vet, I had to pay the same prices as everyone else. I do not know if this is what he meant. But this is all I can think of.

Master Blaster
May 28, 2003, 11:53 AM
www.odcmp.com

DonP
May 28, 2003, 03:44 PM
That's about what they were going for back then.

The current price for vets, or other qualifying people, is between $400 for a danish return with a VAR barrel and $500 for a basic Springfield Armory Garand. Still an incredible bargain at that price and a lot of fun to shoot. That "ping" from the ejecting clip always brings around some old timers as well as younger folks wondering what you're shooting.

The ODCMP link above gives you all the details. It pays to keep or get a copy of your DD 214.

Don P.

Frohickey
May 28, 2003, 03:58 PM
It used to be $200, and only one in your lifetime (one to a person).

Since then, they have changed it, and now its $500, and up to 2 a year. This was done during the Clinton administration because Clinton wanted to get rid of the whole DCM program that was run under the Army.

Too bad M14s aren't sold through the ODCMP. And later, M16A1s with the 3 prong flash hider.

Somehow, we got away from the citizen soldier concept, and now are in the professional soldier model. Scary. :uhoh:

Swampy
May 29, 2003, 09:21 AM
Frohickey wrote:

It used to be $200, and only one in your lifetime (one to a person).

Since then, they have changed it, and now its $500, and up to 2 a year..

Where ya' been Frohickey??? Things have changed at the CMP :D

The CMP now has M1 prices ranging from $375 to $550, you can pick both the Grade and Manufacturer of the rifle, and you can order up to 8 (eight) of them in a single calendar year......

And that's just for the Garand !!!

We've not even touched on the 03's yet ;)

Best regards,
Swampy

Frohickey
May 29, 2003, 02:11 PM
Sorry. I stopped keeping track of ODCMP's sales policies once I have gotten my M1s.

Now, if they would only start selling M14s and M16s.... :D

If you enjoyed reading about "M1Garand for Vets at $125 each??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!