New, more accurate Mini-14

PDA

Sober
December 31, 2006, 10:49 AM
Just wondering, has anyone taken one of these new, supposedly more accurate mini-14 rifles out to the range? I am very interested in hearing how the results at 100yds. My current mini stinks, 5-6 inches with a variety of ammo types off a sandbagged rest-just awful.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "New, more accurate Mini-14" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bhk
December 31, 2006, 04:48 PM
After getting rid of an older ranch rifle, I purchased one of the new 580 series Ranches after looking around for alternatives (AR-15 stocks do not agree with me). Anyway, I have done only some limited playing around with the new Mini and am quite happy so far. I get about 2 1/2 inch five shot groups with cheap Winchester White Box 45 grain hollow points at 100 yards with a 4x Burris scope mounted on it. I have yet to do much testing with other ammo. I really like the 45 grainers because of their reduced likelihood of ricochets in the open farm country I inhabit.

I have an accurate sub MOA .223 Sako bolt action when I really want to shoot groups or distant varmints. My stainless 580 Mini serves as a truck/farm/security rifle and those 2 1/2 inch groups are just fine for that purpose. My older mini killed a few distant incidental coyotes and I am sure my more accurate 580 will also do so. And the stainless also suits the guns purposes.

browningguy
December 31, 2006, 05:05 PM
Haven't shot one of the new ones yet but the testing sems to show it is "slightly" more accurate then the old one but not much. The Jan/Feb Rifle Shooter had a big headline saying "Ruger's MOA Mini14", they got to call it that because if you threw out one shot they had one group that was MOA. They were just under 2" with two loads, 2-3" with 4 loads, 3-4" with 5 loads.

The target model that is not out yet shows some promise, no idea how much it will cost yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "New, more accurate Mini-14" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!