Need help gathering info about Savage model 3 rifles

PDA

Rob62
December 31, 2006, 09:20 PM
Maybe someone here will be able to add some information to a thread I started over on Rimfirecentral.com. The original thread can be found here:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163291

I am looking for *any* information about the Savage model 3 series of rifles. These great little rimfire guns were made in the early 1930’s through late 40’s or early 50’s.

Specially interested in pictures of your guns. If you have any additional information, or if you can just confirm the configuration of your specific rifle that would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to post the pics or info here.

Some of the questions that need answering or confirmation.

1. What version of the model 3 do you own and is it in original condition?
2. What is the barrel length?
3. Do you know when it was made?
4. What kind of sights does it have on it?
5. Does it have a cast or metal stamped trigger guard?
6. Is the bolt and or trigger chrome plated?
7. Is the stock walnut, and does it have finger groove/s on the front?
8. What kind of butt plate does it have, metal, hard rubber, or plastic?

Lastly I thought I had a link to a Savage firearms collectors bulletin board. Unfortunately I can't find it. Does anyone have a link?

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Rob

--------SAVAGE 3 SERIES Rifle Information--------

There were several variations of the Savage model 3 rifle made. The basic version is a single shot bolt action, .22RF chambered rifle. It appears that all variations of the M3 were single shot and that the added model variation such as “A”, “B”, “C” and so forth only denoted minor changes or additions to the rifle. But none included major modifications such as a box or tube magazine. Models included the 3, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 3DE, 3E, 3S, and 3ST.

There is conflicting information as to dates of manufacture. Some references show they were manufactured 1930-47, others 1933-52.

One reference that was printed in 1931, listed the M3 as "new" at that time, with a wholesale price of $3.90, retail $4.85, packed 10 and 25 in a case. Therefore it is reasonable to presume that in fact the first M3’s came off of the production line in either 1930 or ’31. However, this same reference showed M3’s with a 39" over all length, and having a 22" barrel and steel butt plate. The stock pictured is not grooved on the sides. (This might have been pre-production info).

Some 1931 dated materials show a grooved stock and list a 24" barrel. The barrel length is important in narrowing down when M3’s were manufactured. Most references printed recently show that Pre-war (WWII) models have 26" barrels, post-war 24". This is confusing, as publications from the early 1930’s do not reflect this same information, reference above.

The below information comes directly from Savage Wholesale fliers, catalogs, and parts manuals, unless otherwise shown, all printed in the years indicated.

1933, listed overall length at 41 1/2" with a 24" barrel, walnut stock w/groove on side and steel butt plate. Bolt and trigger are chrome plated. D&T'ed for the 55 Lyman rear peep.

1934, (Catalog) Same as 1933 but now 43 1/2" over all w/26" barrel.

1934, (Parts Manual) lists a 3-A & 3-B (not in 1932, 1933 not available). 3-A is a change to the bolt assembly (1/2 cocks on opening, 1/2 on close?), no parts difference listed for 3-B (something minor?)

1935, (Catalog) stock is heavier (no groove), hard rubber butt plate. D&T for Lyman 55 dropped, replaces with Savage peep sight on 3-S. 3-ST listed

1936, the Savage #10 scope was available but rifle not D&T'ed.

1937, rifle now D&T'ed for telescope sight (this would be for the Weaver "T" mount, 2 holes on left side of action).

1938, no change

From “The Rifle in America” by Philip B. Sharpe. (NRA reprint of the 1938 version)
M3’s were introduced in 1931. Walnut stock, 26" barrel, hard-rubber plate.
Model 3, gold bead front sight, flat-top rear.
Model 3S, slot blank in rear sight dovetail, hooded front sight on ramp base (hood holds the removable sight in place). Savage receiver peep sight attached on the left side at rear. Sometime before 1938 the rear blank was replace with a fold down Savage rear sight.
Model 3ST, same as the 3S plus a 7/8" sling strap, sling studs and swivels.
The above three variations were still in production in 1938.

In 1938 the Model 3 with basic iron sights was available with the Savage #10 scope (Weaver 329) in Weaver mounts (Presumably this would have been the "T" series as in 3T. However it is not clear in the way it is listed.)

The later parts manual shows only the "3" as the first variation. The later rifle (post WWII?) lists the 3C, 3D, 3DE, 3E, 53C, 53CD, 53D and the Model 83. Whenever a change was made Savage would bump the letter call out on the model.

1939, pictured with the bent metal guard, 1940 has the cast metal guard. 3-ST no longer listed.

1940, no change noted

1941, no change noted

Production was around 9000 units per year in 1933-1939 (Savage sales records...this is the only years data available on so far)

Basic rifle information (Note - all these models may in fact not be in existence. Reference to some was found on the internet, as such it is subject to question):

Model 3, open iron sights, gold bead front, flat-top rear.

Model 3A, open iron sights, stamped metal trigger guard, finger groove in front of stock

Model 3B - open iron sights, blued bead front, 24” barrel, bolt has a cocking knob, chromed smooth-
handled bolt and trigger, finger groove in front of walnut stock, no sling attachments, metal butt plate with factory horizontal grooves cut in it, slot for bolt; is straight with an arrow stamped in the bolt pointing to the cocking knob, no safety, left rear of receiver drilled and tapped w/ 2 holes, manufactured prior to mid 1944

Model 3C - ?

Model 3D, open iron sights, gold bead front, 24" barrel, cast "pot metal" trigger guard, walnut stock, no finger groove in front of walnut stock, left rear of receiver drilled and tapped w/ 2 holes, chrome plated bolt and trigger, bolt knob is smooth - not knurled.

Model 3DE - ?

Model 3E - ?

Model 3S, slot blank in rear sight dovetail, hooded front sight on ramp base (hood holds the removable sight in place). Savage receiver peep sight attached on the left side at rear. Sometime before 1938 the rear blank was replace with a fold down Savage rear sight.

---------------------End of general info---------------------------------------------

Savage model 3D shown over a Remington 510

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n103/rhummer/Savage%203D/Rem510andSavage3Dright.jpg

Left side of Savage 3D

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n103/rhummer/Savage%203D/Savage3Dleft.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help gathering info about Savage model 3 rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joebogey
January 1, 2007, 12:02 AM
Have you tried these folks?
http://savageshooters.baker-media.com/SavageForum/

This one belongs to the same folks but might help you get some info.
http://www.savageshooters.com/

Rob62
January 4, 2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the link joebogey. I posted a request for info there.

Anyone here have any other info to contribute?

Regards,
Rob

Rob62
January 8, 2007, 09:32 PM
bump

Rob62
January 14, 2007, 05:42 PM
btt

Rob62
January 17, 2007, 12:46 PM
btt

Rob62
January 21, 2007, 08:01 PM
bump - with updated information. (Thinking to self - it apears that after a certain period posts can no longer be edited)

--------SAVAGE 3 SERIES Rifle Information--------

There were several variations of the Savage model 3 rifle made. All were bolt action, single shot, .22 RF (S, L, LR). Added model designation such as A, B, C, etc. only denoted minor changes or additions to the rifle. None included major modifications such as a box or tube magazine. Models included the 3, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 3DE, 3E, 3S, and 3ST.

There is conflicting information as to dates of manufacture. Some references show they were manufactured 1930-47, others 1933-52.

One reference that was printed in 1931, listed the M3 as "new" at that time, with a wholesale price of $3.90, retail $4.85, packed 10 and 25 in a case. Therefore it is reasonable to presume that in fact the first M3s came off of the production line in either 1930 or 31. However, this same reference showed M3s with a 39" over all length, and having a 22" barrel and steel butt plate. The stock pictured is not grooved on the sides. (This might have been pre-production info).

Some 1931 dated materials show a grooved stock and list a 24" barrel. The barrel length is important in narrowing down when M3s were manufactured. Most references printed recently show that Pre-war (WWII) models have 26" barrels, post-war 24". This is confusing, as publications from the early 1930s do not reflect this same information, reference above.

Of considerable help in identifying dates of manufacture will be the barrel stamp as to city of manufacture (Chicopee Falls, MA and Utica, NY). Savage was back in production during 1947 at the Chicopee Falls, MA, plant. Therefore you wouldn't find a Chicopee Falls stamped barrel before 1947, but you might find a Utica stamped barrel for a little while after the move, till inventory was used up.

The below information comes directly from Savage Wholesale fliers, catalogs, and parts manuals, unless otherwise shown, all printed in the years indicated.

1933, listed overall length at 41 1/2" with a 24" barrel, walnut stock w/groove on side and steel butt plate. Bolt and trigger are chrome plated. D&T'ed for the #55 Lyman rear peep sight that mounts to a receiver with 2 hole receiver spacing being 1/2" center to center.

1934, (Catalog) Same as 1933 but now 43 1/2" over all w/26" barrel.

1934, (Parts Manual) lists a 3-A & 3-B (not in 1932, 1933 not available). 3-A is a change to the bolt assembly (1/2 cocks on opening, 1/2 on close?), no parts difference listed for 3-B (something minor?)

1935, (Catalog) stock is heavier (no groove), hard rubber butt plate. D&T for Lyman # 55 rear peep sight dropped, replaced with Savage peep sight on 3-S. 3-ST listed

1936, the Savage #10 scope was available but rifle not D&T'ed.

1937, rifle now D&T'ed for telescope sight, 2 holes on left side of action. The mount used was the Weaver "T" mount (T-1 and T-3). The 2 hole spacing was 2 3/8", center to center. (The next later common mount Weaver made and may be encountered on these rifles is the "N" mount, it used four holes but the outside two holes are only 3 1/8" apart)

1938, no change

From The Rifle in America by Philip B. Sharpe. (NRA reprint of the 1938 version)
M3s were introduced in 1931. Walnut stock, 26" barrel, hard-rubber plate.
Model 3, gold bead front sight, flat-top rear.
The above three variations were still in production in 1938.
In 1938 the Model 3 with basic iron sights was available with the Savage #10 scope (Weaver 329) in Weaver mounts (Presumably this would have been the "T" series as in 3T. However it is not clear in the way it is listed.)
The later parts manual shows only the "3" as the first variation. The later rifle (post WWII?) lists the 3C, 3D, 3DE, 3E, 53C, 53CD, 53D and the Model 83. Whenever a change was made Savage would bump the letter call out on the model.

1939, pictured with the bent metal guard, 1940 has the cast metal guard.
3-ST no longer listed.

1940, no change noted

1941, no change noted

Production was around 9000 units per year in 1933-1939 (Savage sales records...this is the only years data available on so far)

Basic rifle information: .22RF (S, L, LR) Bolt Action Single Shot. (Note - all these models may in fact not be in existence. Reference to some was found on the internet, as such it is subject to question):

Model 3, open iron sights, gold bead front, flat-top rear, walnut stock.

Model 3A, open iron sights, stamped metal trigger guard, finger groove in forend of walnut stock.

Model 3B - open iron sights, blued bead front, 24 or 26" barrel, bolt has a cocking knob/safety, chrome plated smooth-handled bolt and trigger, finger groove in fore end of walnut stock - there is also a report that some stocks did not have the finger groove in the forend, no sling attachments, metal butt plate with factory horizontal grooves cut in it - also reported to come with a hard rubber/plastic butt plate, stamped metal trigger guard, slot for bolt; is straight with an arrow stamped in the bolt pointing to the cocking knob, no safety, left rear of receiver drilled and tapped w/ 2 holes, known to have been manufactured prior to mid 1944 - unknown when production stopped.

Model 3C - Open iron sights, gold bead front, 26" barrel, chrome plated smooth-handled bolt and trigger, cast "pot metal" trigger guard, no finger groove in forend of walnut stock, hard rubber/plastic butt plate, left front of receiver drilled and tapped with 2 holes, 2 3/8" hole spacing center to center for the Weaver "T" mount, does not have a cocking knob.

Model 3D, open iron sights, gold bead front, 24" barrel, cast "pot metal" trigger guard, no finger groove in forend of walnut stock, left rear of receiver drilled and tapped w/ 2 holes, 7/8" hole spacing center to center for the Savage #150 peep sight, chrome plated bolt and trigger, bolt handle is smooth - not knurled, does not have a cocking knob, known to have still been in production as late as early 1947.

Model 3DE - ?

Model 3E - ?

Model 3S, slot blank in rear sight dovetail, hooded front sight on ramp base (hood holds the removable sight in place), Savage receiver peep sight attached on the left side at rear, sometime before 1938 the rear blank was replace with a fold down Savage rear sight.

---------------------End of general info---------------------------------------------

Rob62
January 26, 2007, 09:30 AM
BTT

Still looking for more owner comments of these rifles.

Essex County
January 26, 2007, 12:13 PM
I picked up one a couple of years ago. It's an 85% one that I bought sight unseen. I happen to enjoy single shot .22's. I remember how much my first one meant to me. My granson turn seven next month and I'm gong to start him off with a Winchester 02 and give him the Savage three when he outgrows the 02. I have shot the 3 and I find it to be excellent. Essex

Rob62
January 27, 2007, 05:45 PM
Essex County - Any chance you can post some pics or links to pics of yoru rifle? If you you E mail me pics of your gun I will link them here in this thread.

If for some reason you do not want pics of your gun displayed on the internet, I fully understand that. Would you then post specific info about your gun, such as:

1. What version of the model 3 is it (plain 3, 3A, 3B, 3C, etc?)
2. What is the barrel length?
3. Do you know when it was made?
4. What kind of sights does it have on it? Is the receiver drilled and tapped on the left side for a peep sight - what is the distance between holes?
5. Does it have a cast or metal stamped trigger guard?
6. Is the bolt and or trigger chrome plated? Does the bolt have a cocking knob?
7. Is the stock walnut, and does it have finger groove/s on the front, sling swivels?
8. What kind of butt plate does it have, metal, hard rubber, or plastic?

Any other information speciffic to your rifle would be greatly appreciated and help this project along. Thanks for contributing.

Regards,
Rob

Rob62
February 6, 2007, 10:26 AM
Btt,

These rifles, or owners of them are unbeliveably difficult to find. Since this quest for information started I have hit local gun shows and asked others to look as well. So far no one has seen any model 3s out there.

Yesterday I did see a model 4 at the North Atlanta Trade Center gun show (An Eastman show). It was in really rough condition and stickered at $100. The stock looked oil soaked. Lots of minor pitting on the barrel and some on the receiver. Most of the original finish was also gone.

Rob

marksman13
February 10, 2007, 03:19 PM
Rob, I just started a thread today asking about this rifle...guess I should have used the search feature. Here are a few picks of the Savage Model 3D that I picked up last night. It belonged to my Grandfather. From what I remember it is a fairly accurate gun. Not sure how accurate it is compared to more modern designs. Thanks for all the info you have posted. By the way, about how much would this rifle be worth in say 90% of original cohttp://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=254266ndition?

This is the link to the pics.

Rob62
February 10, 2007, 09:19 PM
marksman13, I posted a reply in your thread referenced.

Rob

kragluver
October 2, 2007, 07:53 PM
I've been lurking on this forum for a long time and decided to join so that I can reply to your post.

I was just given a Savage Model 3 by a friend of mine. I ran across your post while trying to do some research on this rifle.

It is marked Model 3 (no other letter). It has finger grooves in the forearm and a curved steel buttplate. It is NOT D&T'd for a receiver sight and has a simple buckhorn style rear sight with gold bead front sight. The bold and bolt-handle are chromed but the trigger is not. Barrel measures 24" and overall length is 41-3/4". The trigger guard is stamped. The stock appears to be Walnut and there are no sling swivels.

Based on the descriptions in the previous posts, this looks like a circa 1933 rifle, but its not D&T'd and the trigger is not chromed. Also, the bolt has red paint around it that shows when cocked.

The metal looks like it may have been re-finished at some point as it is browned and not blued. The browning quality is not great and looks like a "bubba" job -- either that, or its just aged. It doesn't look too bad, just not "factory". Overall, the rifle appears to be in very good shape. The bore was very clean. Anyone have any idea to value?

Ken

Rob62
October 2, 2007, 09:33 PM
Hi Ken, and welcome to becoming a forum member.

Thank you for sharing your rifles information. From your description of the finish I would presume that your factory bluing has just turned brown from age and use. Many of these older guns' metal finishes have become brown.

You will find that the current prices are all over the place. First and foremost is that while the Savage model 3 series of rifles are not common - at least from what I have seen. The prices are not reflected by this scarcity. There does not seem to be any collector interest whatsoever.

I would place a value of $100-$175 on of your rifle.

Regards,
Rob

kragluver
October 3, 2007, 08:22 AM
Howdy Rob and thanks for the welcome and info. I'm not certain I'm going to sell the rifle yet. I have four young boys and having an extra .22 around is not a bad thing. I could use the space in the gun safe though:)

Rottresq
October 17, 2007, 05:06 AM
Mine is stamped Savage model 3, no serial #. OAL= 40in BBL = 24in. Trigger guard forged seel. Bolt and trigger chromed. Gold bead front sight. Lyman 55W peep sight. Original Walnut stock, no fingergroves. Has steel butt-plate. Take-down screw knurled. Bolt knob is smooth. Appears original except for peep sight. Looks like rear dovetail may have been removed and then peep installed. Blue is 85-90% bore is good and rifle function correctly and is accurate. A "14" inside a circle is stamped at the breech end of the barrel.
Unknown if this is significant or just a proof or foundary mark.

john from md
December 15, 2007, 12:20 AM
Can anyone tell me how to disassemble a model three bolt?

Thanks,

John from MD

gcrookston
December 15, 2007, 09:33 AM
My father's first rifle was a Savage M3. I had it for many years after his passing, then gave it to my brother for his children to use when they became old enough to start shooting. My father got the rifle when he was 12 or 13, this would have been 1930-31.

It has a slender finger grove stock, spring wire leaf rear sight. gold bead front sight may not be original. No serial # and marked Savage Model 3. Take down is by a single large screw forward of the spring steel trigger guard. The guard is held in place by two wood screws. Steel butt plate. Don't remember the barrel length, but I'm guessing 22". I'll see if I can get my brother to shoot me a picture of it.

It already had a hair trigger when I was growing up and became completely unsafe to shoot or handle loaded by the time I was in my early teens. In 1989 I took it to an old time gun smith who fabricated parts to fix the problem (I don't recall specifically what the problem was other than it was just worn out).

gimposaurus
December 15, 2007, 10:40 AM
I have a 3b, walnut stock, stamped trigger guard, serial 2401, plastic buttplate. It's in pretty rough condition I picked it up for $40 from a sports store (I'm in New Zealand)

gimposaurus
December 15, 2007, 10:42 AM
it's also not dovetailed and has no fingergrooves in the forend.

GreenMachine
May 13, 2008, 10:09 AM
26" BBL, open sights, gold bead front sight, rear sight assembly has dovetail drilled & tapped for a single pivot screw about which the rear sight can be adjusted for windage. Walnut stock has nicely fluted comb and has black-painted forend tip, length of painted section about 2.18". No finger grooves on forend. No sling hardware or holes. Has blued stamped-steel trigger guard and hard rubber butt plate. Bolt body and handle is chrome-plated, as well as the trigger. Blued cocking knob has diagonal knurling. Arrow on bolt body points back towards cocking knob. Bolt cocks when lifting bolt handle, but as no safety. Receiver has no tapped holes for peep sight nor does stock have any inletting for same. There are a pair of 10-32UNF tapped holes, 2.35" center distance, on the left side of the receiver for scope mounting. I would normally say these were added by the owner, except the threads are blued and the forward screw hole occurs where the barrel fits inside the receiver; the radius of the turned-down diameter of the barrel is visible at the bottom of the forward tapped hole, indicating that that hole was drilled & tapped before the barrel and receiver was assembled. Also indicative that the holes may have been factory original is that there is none of the typical "show" you would see on the blueing if a mount had been present. I'm not sure of this assessment, so would appreciate an expert's take on this. I just can't imagine a basement gunsmith taking the barrel off the receiver to tap the hole, when a bottoming tap would do the trick. I just joined High Road and appreciate this forum.

Patch007
January 24, 2009, 09:35 PM
I received my Model 3D from my Father and he received it from his dad before that...It has the 24 inch barrel.....Hard rubber or plastic buttplate...Lyman R55W peep sight(missing rear appature) and Chrome plated bolt and trigger. The trigger guard is cast and unfortunately I re-finished about 10 years ago not knowing better....

Clockworkskin
March 23, 2009, 09:50 AM
I stumbled across this thread while looking for a rail for this rifle. My original intention was to throw an old leupold 3x on it but after reading this I think I'll just leave it as it.

Like many of you, this was handed to me from my father. I would like to date it but I cannot find a serial number. Where is the SN stamped? I removed the action from the stock and looked underneath but still, nothing.

I'll work on getting some pictures later.

Rob62
March 23, 2009, 10:58 AM
As far as I know these rifles were not serial numbered - as most firearms made prior to 1968 did not require this in the USA.

gimposaurus reporting a serial # of 2401 is a first. I too would like to know where he found this number on his rifle and does it look like it was factory stamped.

Rob

Wirtbowhunter
March 23, 2009, 11:20 PM
There are several of these old savages floating around in my family. My grandfather had a 3c and it was the first gun that my dad and uncles grew up using. They have since picked up everyone that they see at gun shows and flea markets. I do not know any of the specifics on what they have but they are neat little rifles.

TheUker
April 27, 2009, 11:47 PM
Just picked up a Model 3B. Iron sites with gold dot front bead, smooth chrome trigger and bolt, cocking knob on the back of the bolt. Hard plastic butt plate on a walnut stock. It has the stamped trigger gaurd and knurled take down screw. Barrel has Utica markings and a "24" in a circle stamped on the rear of the barrel near bolt. From what I've read here would that make this a pre-war model??? I'm new to Savage, as well as single shot bolt actions....but this seemed like a very nice older rifle.

Blue is about 90%. The stock finish was touched up poorly and had alot of finish scratches everywhere....but overall no cracks or dents, or deep scratches. Still...what was left of the super shiny finish had to go. I've got an oil finish going on it (needing a couple more coats)....already looks way better. I picked it up for $40 from a co-worker....couldn't pass it up.

Nice rifle....I would love to nail down it's vintage a little closer though....any further help than what is here already would be great.

Rob62
April 28, 2009, 04:52 AM
TheUker - from your description and the info that has been collected so far I would say that your rifle is a pre war rifle as you alreday figured out. Sorry I can't be more helpfull.

TheUker
April 28, 2009, 09:40 AM
Rob62 -

A second opinion letting me know I'm on the right track helps!

It's interesting....I would have thought there would be much more info about these guns... This thread is about all I could find anywhere!!!...but it's very helpful.
Thanks!

dale35
May 17, 2009, 07:11 PM
I have a model 3 that I got from my father and need a replacement for the bolt because when I cock it sometimes it does not always catch. I think it is just worn down. Thus making it unsafe. Does anyone know where to look for the bolt?

Thank You,

Rob62
May 17, 2009, 09:10 PM
I'd try the obvious first.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Then I'd do a Google search to see if there are any smaller obsolete parts suppliers out there that could help.

Good Luck,

Rob

kragluver
June 24, 2009, 09:59 PM
I actually ran across Model 3 parts on numerich's website. I'm in the process of refinishing my Model 3 and putting a receiver sight on it. I thought I'd turn it into a little target rifle for the boys.

kragluver
July 10, 2009, 11:13 PM
I finished re-doing the Model 3. See link:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=57689

macha1313
July 14, 2009, 09:40 PM
I just picked up a Savage Model 3 today, with a 22" barrel. Judging by the info posted here, it looks like it's from 1931. It has some black paint on the far end of the stock (I may sand that down, I haven't decided yet) and overall the stock and barrel look like they're in good shape. The butt plate is plastic, and it's cracked in two pieces. I will probably repair that as well. There are some dings and scratches in the stock, but I kind of like them. This is my first gun. I specifically picked it up because it was cheap but in good condition, and I don't mind having a single shot to learn to shoot properly with. Hopefully I'll be able to take some pics to share with you soon!

Rob62
July 14, 2009, 10:12 PM
macha1313 - Thanks for sharing your info.

Generic vintage plastic butt plates are readily available for not very much $$. You may wantto consider replacing the entire plate. Lots of times this is more cost efficient than trying to repair it.

Regards,
Rob

Threeband
August 4, 2009, 02:41 AM
My first gun was a Savage Model 3-C.

The day after Pearl Harbor, while men all across America were lining up outside recruiting offices, my Aunt Harriet went out and bought the Savage 3-C, and joined the NRA to learn to shoot. (She was about 20 years old.)

She joined the American Red Cross, and served in Italy and later in Germany and Austria. Once she was "captured" by Italian partisans: she was driving a captured German jeep (V.W. Kuebelwagen), and wearing her feldgrau Red Cross uniform,which looked very German. She just kept babbling "No Tedescha! No Tedescha! Americana!" and offered them coffee and donuts.

The Savage was handed down to my older brothers, who both used it in NRA smallbore, and eventually to me. Alas, it was stolen long ago.

scmerrill71
August 28, 2009, 02:02 PM
hey all, im currently refinishing a savage model 3A i got from my neighbors. its an assignment for my gunsmithing course im taking. it has a 22" barrel, iron sights, finger grooves on the front of stock, stamped metal trigger guard and metal butt plate. it has a (14) in a cricle near the end of barrel, i have been looking for info on the gun, like the years it was made and pre or post war stuff, and the average value of it today. i have plenty of pics of it , just not posted anywhere. im taking photos as the process goes along so i can show others the quality of the work that can be done.

Daizee
August 28, 2009, 03:49 PM
I dunno if the letters are revision or feature designators. I have a model 4C, which is also very hard to get info on. It has interchangeable front posts w/ a hood and a crudely adjustable rear peep (with adjustable apertures!). It shoots REALLY well despite its lousy trigger and single action screw. I always figured that the 'C' meant it was the target model. Does that match up to anything in the 3 series?

It's an (the only) old family rifle, and also carries no serial #.
Estimated purchase date is around 1950 if that helps bound things for the model 3 info.

-Daizee

Salty1
September 10, 2009, 10:00 PM
I know this thread is quite old but wanted to add some info in case anybody re-visits it. The attached photo's are of a Model 3 that I just had totally refinished. It belonged to my late father in law and we decided to have it done over since it was in such poor shape outside. It was totally re-blued and after seeing pic's of the way they should look I will be doing the stock over again. The rifle is 39 inches long with a 22 inch barrel, gold dot on the front sight and steel butt plate. The trigger was black when we received it, know him it was always this way as he was not known for taking care of things. It also has the number 14 circled on the barrel and upper receiver. If anybody has an idea on what the proper stain would be for the stock I would love to know. This rifle shoots very well and the bore is perfect, I am happy to have it especially as it is no longer covered with rust spots.

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/Salty1_photos/model3_1.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/Salty1_photos/model3_2.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/Salty1_photos/model3_3.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/Salty1_photos/model3_4.jpg

kragluver
September 11, 2009, 09:44 AM
Look here:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=57689

This is a Model 3 I refinished this summer. I did not touch the stock except to add a coat of Tung Oil to brighten it up. The stock was in excellent shape. As you can see from the pics, the original stain was a medium brown finish - not too dark. Nice job on your rifle!

Rob62
September 11, 2009, 01:00 PM
Salty1 - I would use a dark walnut stain. The lightness of your wood is intriguing in general. Do you know if its walnut ?? It sure looks very light to be walnut, but I'm no wood expert. All pics and info I have seen on other model 3's indicates a factory walnut wood stock and its been dark colored.

If I were to take a guess I would say your rifle was one of the earlier ones made. The steel butt plate and stamped trigger guard are a big clue here.

Regards,
Rob

Salty1
September 15, 2009, 10:54 PM
I had somebody who is knowledgeable in wood look at the stock tonight, he is almost positive that it is made out of rock maple. He explained that walnut is less expensive than the rock maple and that could be why they "changed" to walnut. I am not sure if it could have come from the factory this way as I cannot find any information that speaks of maple stocks on the M3.

Rob62
September 16, 2009, 10:37 AM
Salty1 - very interesting about the stock. Can you tell if it appears to have been inleted by someone other than the factory for the barreled action ? Could this have been a replacement stock ? With the metal butt plate it sure looks original. Which would be wild as there is no information I have heard of that suggests these rifles came from the factory with anything but a walnut stock.

Does it look like a previous stain coat has been removed as part of a stock re-finish? If the stock finish appears to be original minus age wear I would seriously consider leaving the stock as is. Who knows you may have one of the very first rifles out there that was given a non walnut stock.

Here is some of the info from the initial post:

One reference that was printed in 1931…………… that in fact the first M3’s came off of the production line in either 1930 or ’31. However, this same reference showed M3’s with a 39" over all length, and having a 22" barrel and steel butt plate.

Some 1931 dated materials show a grooved stock and list a 24" barrel. The barrel length is important in narrowing down when M3’s were manufactured. Most references printed recently show that Pre-war (WWII) models have 26" barrels, post-war 24". This is confusing, as publications from the early 1930’s do not reflect this same information, reference above.

What I am thinking is, could this be one of the very first produced rifles with a 22” barrel ?! What I don’t know is, and suspect only a diehard Savage collector might know, did Savage use Rock Maple wood for any of their rifle stocks ?

The more I look at the picture of that rifle's stock the more I am convinced it may be original factory. Please do post info about the stocks inletting.

In any event you have a neat old rifle that I would be hesitant to get rid of.

Regards,
Rob

kragluver
September 16, 2009, 05:09 PM
The lines on the stock look identical to the stock on my Model 3. I suspect its factory original.

Rob62
September 16, 2009, 07:34 PM
kragluver - Your link does not work for me.

Salty1
September 16, 2009, 10:48 PM
Here are some pic's of the stock, some of the pic's are a bit dark.

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/Salty1_photos/Firearms059.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/Salty1_photos/Firearms062.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/Salty1_photos/Firearms064.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/Salty1_photos/Firearms067.jpg

Rob62
September 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks for posting these pics. While I can't be sure, the trigger guard appears to be recessed into the stock where the guard screws are. If this is the case then all the more reason to believe your rifle was one of the first ones produced. I know that later made guns simply had the stamped metal trigger guards screwed into the stock without any recessing of the wood.

(Could you post a pic of the inside of the stock where the stock bolt goes through to hold the barrelled action to the stock ? If this area looks original/unmodified then I'd be 99% sure your stock is original to the rifle.)

It makes sense that early made guns might have had had the trigger guards recessed. It was all part of craftsmanship and quality of work. Then someone figured out that production costs could be saved on more by not doing the inletting so they stopped doing it.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that your rifle is a very early (first or second year) production gun. But I could be wrong. Id like to hear what others think about this.

While I don't need another .22 rifle - if you ever decide to sell it I would be interested in getting it.

Regards,
Rob

Salty1
September 17, 2009, 11:11 PM
Rob, I will get the pic over the weekend when the sun comes out, it will be much clearer in the day light. If I even thought about selling my wifes deceased fathers gun I am sure it would cause a domestic crisis that I choose not to be part of. :uhoh:... I will keep that in mind though but she will have to contact you herself.....

Salty1
September 20, 2009, 04:42 PM
Here are a few pic's of the stock where the bolt attaches to the barrel.

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/Salty1_photos/Firearms070.jpg
http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/Salty1_photos/Firearms071.jpg
http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/Salty1_photos/Firearms072.jpg

scmerrill71
September 28, 2009, 01:29 PM
I put tru oil on the one im redoing 4-5 coats. now it just needs a gooc wax and then im gonna reblu the metal. got any tips on what i need to get the bolt to look like new again...ive been polishing it, but it just seem to get the job done.

Rob62
September 28, 2009, 05:42 PM
scmerrill71 - All the bolts I have seen have been chrome plated - at least at some point. I saw one rifle that had so much of its original chrome worn off of its bolt that it looked like a conventional blued bolt.

I don't think there are any home chrome kits but there could be. I would send the bolt out to a gunsmith that does chrome and have it professionally done.

Rob

RyanF
October 4, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hello,

I just received a Model 3D from my father, who inherited from his oldest brother. The stock has a painted design on it, I haven't seen another quite like it. My father said the firing pin was getting weak, but I think it may have just needed some oil. I am going to purchase some rounds tomorrow to try it out. Attached are some pics, let me know if you want any more info on the gun.

Ryan

Rob62
October 4, 2009, 08:55 PM
RyanF - Thanks for sharing. Its always great to see more pics of these rifles. Yours looks like a standard (later) produced 3D.

Regards,
Rob

faustrino
October 6, 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm looking for a bolt for a 3b or compatable. Are the other model 3 versions the same bolt? Any help? Please respond by email if possible. fvaustrino@sbcglobal.net

Rob62
October 7, 2009, 10:28 AM
faustrino - I have not had the opportunity to compare various sub model bolts side by side. But I'm 99% sure they are all interchangeable. Be sure to try the ususal parts sources like Gun Parts Corp, they may surprise you and have one in stock.

Good Luck,
Rob

Mike the Kiwi
October 31, 2009, 09:00 AM
Hey there, I'm looking after this rifle for a family friend who has inherited it along with a couple others. It is a 3B, has a black plastic butt plate, stamped trigger gaurd, a peep sight, gold front bead, a serial number stamped on the right and an odd wee shell holder of a type I have never seen before. The blue and stock are in poor condition but the action is still smooth as and it shoots fine. Thought you chaps might be interested.

Troublco
December 27, 2009, 03:44 PM
I just acquired one for my daughter. It's a Model 3, 24" barrel, steel buttplate, finger grooved stock, gold dot front sight, standard notched leaf with elevator rear sight, bolt doesn't look like it was chromed but may have worn off (looks blued now), stamped steel triggerguard, and a takedown screw underneath to allow action removal. The stock looks like walnut, but was refinished (with a really nice hand rubbed poly finish) just before I got it. The bore is shiny and clean, and the rifling is sharp and nice. Looks to me like it sat in a closet for many years. Would this be an earlier model, with the stamped metal parts?

kragluver
December 27, 2009, 07:23 PM
Yours sounds exactly like mine except the chrome on my bolt was still present. I'd say yours is one of the very early models as the trigger guard is stamped.

Rob62
December 28, 2009, 01:26 AM
Troublco - I'd say its an early model. However as far as I know only the trigger guard was made from stamped steel. (Plus maybe a few other small parts)

Happy New Year,

Rob

JoshInReno
February 6, 2010, 07:11 PM
My grandparents recently moved into a home one the Northern California coastline and my grandfather found something in the barn he thought I might have a use for.

Here is what he found:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/XD40FAN/DSCN1086.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/XD40FAN/DSCN1087.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/XD40FAN/DSCN1088.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/XD40FAN/DSCN1089.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/XD40FAN/DSCN1090.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/XD40FAN/DSCN1093.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/XD40FAN/DSCN1094.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/XD40FAN/DSCN1096.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g311/XD40FAN/DSCN1097.jpg

I used a "rust disolving gel" in a small area of the barrel and discovered that it is a Savage Model 3B. Mine says on the barrel ".22 Long Short or .22 Long Rifle" I haven't found a serial number yet due to the surface rust.

Always fun to find a new restoration project.

Rob62
February 7, 2010, 07:26 PM
JoshInReno - Thanks on sharing the find. :D

Don't bother looking for a serial number there will not be one. Since it was not required by law to serial number these guns when they were made, the manufacturer did not do it.

I'd love to see pics when you re-finish it.

FWIW - looks like you have one of the earlier ones made. (Grooved stock, stamped trigger guard , and it looks like a metal butt plate - but can't be sure of that)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that even though the outside looks really bad, the bore will be OK.

Regards,
Rob

Gun_Shy
March 16, 2010, 05:14 AM
I stumbled across this while looking for info on another rifle that appears to be related to the Savage 3.

I have a Montgomery Wards Western Field model 36, dating to the 1930s, that is either a rebadged Stevens model 52B or Mossberg model 10 (both were sold under the Western Field model 36 name). When checking with some people on the "Savage Collectors" forum (https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/40/1/Savage_Collectors), several people said it looked like a Savage model 3 (or, as one guy put it, "An early Savage Model 3 with the cheaper stock and sights that they put on their Stevens versions and other "branded" versions like Springfield, Western Field, etc.").

Here are some photos. The rifle is all original except for the added sling swivels -- tell me if you think the guys on Savage Collectors are right.

Bill

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/Gun_Shy_photos/WesternField36assembled-right.jpg

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/Gun_Shy_photos/WesternField36assembled-left.jpg

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/Gun_Shy_photos/WesternField36disassembled.jpg

Rob62
March 17, 2010, 10:08 AM
I'd say it is a model 3 varient. And it looks like an early one at that. Is the barrel 24" or 26" long ?

Rob

Gun_Shy
March 17, 2010, 02:27 PM
I'd say it is a model 3 varient. And it looks like an early one at that. Is the barrel 24" or 26" long ?

Rob
Here are the dimensions as I measure them on the Western Field 36:

barrel: 21" (actually, 20 15/16") to front of receiver
barrel: 22" overall (ie, including the part inside the receiver)
takedown length, with bolt: 27"
takedown length, without bolt: 26 1/4"
stock length, diagonal, front of stock to bottom of butt: 27"
stock length, linear*: 27 1/4"
overall length, diagonal, barrel tip to bottom of butt: 39 7/8"
overall length, linear: 40"
gold bead front sight

(*By "linear" I mean measuring straight back along the rifle to the furthest point, as if the butt were square rather than curved.)

The finger groove ends 3" from the front of the stock on the left side and 3 1/4" from the front on the right side.

The only stamping on the rifle, other than the "Western Field" legend, is a "14" inside a circle on the barrel, covered by the stock.

It is chambered for .22 short, long, and long rifle.

According to Numrich, the Savage model 3 came with a 22", 24" and 26" barrel; the Stevens model 52B is listed with only a 22" barrel.

Apparently, the same rifle was also sold as the Sears "Ranger" model 35.

Bill

Rob62
March 17, 2010, 05:55 PM
Bill,

Thanks for posting the detailed information. None of the references I have seen, and admittedly its all flowing together by now, list a 22" barrel for Savage 3 rifles. Very interesting that Numrich lists a 22" varient. Certainly just because it has not been widely circulated does not mean there are no factory 22" barrelled model 3's.

In context, and with the certain believe that your gun is a "House Branded" Savage model 3, I would not have expected the barrel to be 22". Specially with it looking like a very early made model. These early produced model 3's "should" have a 26" barrel. However many folks have reported that their rifles produced early in the run have 24" barrels.

I am not certain what the stamp of "14" inside the circle means but there have been numerous reports of people who's model 3's have this exact stamp.

(FWIW - Since I started this thread I have sold my model 3 and regret it very much. If I can ever find another one at a reasonable price I'll snap it up and stash it for good)

Rob

undead_knight
September 18, 2010, 10:51 PM
Sorry i know its a necrophilia but the info was very helpful :p

1. What version of the model 3 do you own and is it in original condition? Model 3B, it seems to be.

2. What is the barrel length? 25"
Barrel and reciever/chamber: 30.31"
Over all: 43.2"

3. Do you know when it was made? 30's - from your info

4. What kind of sights does it have on it? open iron sights, gold bead front, flat-top rear - same as whats described in model 3

5. Does it have a cast or metal stamped trigger guard? bent metal of some sort :confused:

6. Is the bolt and or trigger chrome plated? trigger still has chrome on it, bolt has lost most of it where it rubs on the housing.

7. Is the stock walnut, and does it have finger groove/s on the front? i think it is - its quite a dark redie colour - yes it does have finger grooves

8. What kind of butt plate does it have, metal, hard rubber, or plastic? metal with the horizontal lines

Other markings: Just below an to the right of the rear sight its got a 14 in side a circle, What looks like to be a stamped 'Q', A stamped 'S', and a half stamped thing (will put photos up).

There is an arrow on the bolt pointing to the cocking knob, and another 'S' on the cocking knob

I am in New Zealand, picked it up for $80nzd

Pics:
full view (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/gran2005/Gun/Savage%20Model%203B/SavageModel3B001.jpg)

Model 3B (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/gran2005/Gun/Savage%20Model%203B/SavageModel3B003.jpg)

markings (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/gran2005/Gun/Savage%20Model%203B/SavageModel3B002.jpg)

rear of the bolt (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/gran2005/Gun/Savage%20Model%203B/SavageModel3B004.jpg)

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help gathering info about Savage model 3 rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!