Old 30-30 Ammo question

PDA

B.D. Turner
January 1, 2007, 02:09 AM
I have two old Winchester 30-30 boxes of ammo. One is still full and the other has ten rounds. From what I can find out these are the "1939 type" The boxes are marked "Winchester Super Speed .30 WIN (30-30) SP." Both boxes are yellow red and blue. Any idea if these are of any value?

If you enjoyed reading about "Old 30-30 Ammo question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
January 1, 2007, 02:30 AM
I wouldn't shoot anything older than 20-25 years old. I'm no expert but that's what I've been told.

You might want to contact Winchester, they might give you top dollar for the old ammo so they can display the full box and test the half box. Who knows, they might give you a case of ammo for that box and a half... (or not???)

B.D. Turner
January 1, 2007, 10:16 AM
I didn't plan on shooting them. These would be neat for a display with an old Winchester.

Dave Markowitz
January 1, 2007, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't shoot anything older than 20-25 years old. I'm no expert but that's what I've been told.

There is no problem shooting ammo that's much older than that. I've fired plenty of ammo made in the 40s, 50s, and 60s (I was made in the 60s).

However, the ammo in question may be of value to a cartridge collector, especially if the box is in good shape.

de
January 1, 2007, 10:41 PM
I second the motion. I once shot a qualifiying round on a police dept. range, (I was the instructer) with World War I 9mm, just to show it could be done. I had 9 mis-fires. Just count off 10 seconds at least to make sure it's not a slow cooker before you clear the shell out of the chamber.:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Old 30-30 Ammo question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!