New upper for my Bushy?

PDA

treebeard
January 1, 2007, 06:14 PM
I was over at the ar15.com forum and noticed there is a place in NH called AR15sales.com. I am thinking about getting a new upper, specifically the Varmint A4 because the scope I have now is mounted on my flattop. Has anyone bought from this place before? I figured I live in NH so what the heck. Also, my barrel is a 1:9 twist and I only shoot for accuracy at 100-300 yards. Will going to a 1:8 twist be better for shooting heavier bullets, like the Sierra 69gr. HPBT Match-Kings? Thanks for any input.

If you enjoyed reading about "New upper for my Bushy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jackal
January 1, 2007, 06:35 PM
The 1:9 twist is very versatile and stabilizes bullets from 45gr-69gr quite well. For bullets over 69gr, I would consider a 1:8 or even a 1:7. The 1:9 is the best overall twist for an AR.

treebeard
January 1, 2007, 07:36 PM
The upper I want is not available in 1:9 twist. I am sure I can find a sweet upper somewhere with a 1:9 twist. I really like the Varmint A3 upper.

RCR29
January 1, 2007, 07:43 PM
That is where I bought my AR from. Pete is a good guy to deal w/

Chris Rhines
January 1, 2007, 07:47 PM
The 1:9 is the best overall twist for an AR. I disagree. Unless you plan to shoot super light thin-jacketed varmint bullets (under 50 grains) a 1:7" twist is a better choice. 1:7" works perfectly well with the common 55grn. and 62grn. surplus ammo, while at the same time is ideal for the heavier OTM bullets that give the best terminal performance.

- Chris

treebeard
January 1, 2007, 08:04 PM
I really like the 69gr. Match-Kings, but that is probably as heavy as I would go. I like the Hornaday 55gr. bullets too. I just want something different to add to my lower, but at the same time giving me the best accuracy since the gun is for long range shooting, not self-defense or hunting little varmits. I figured if I liked what I saw from Pete, I could probably order it and just pick it up there.

treebeard
January 2, 2007, 08:48 AM
I called and ordered the 18" Varmint A4 with 1:8 twist.

If you enjoyed reading about "New upper for my Bushy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!