Surplus 7.5x55 corrosive?

PDA

Antihero
January 2, 2007, 01:02 AM
So is surplus 7.5x55 aka GP11 corrosive?? According to Graf & Sons its not but the do have the wrong info sometimes

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Surplus 7.5x55 corrosive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
weaselchew
January 2, 2007, 01:09 AM
No. GP11 is not corrosive. Actually, I don't think there is any 7.5x55 corrosive ammo at all.

Sunray
January 2, 2007, 01:13 AM
If you're at all concerned, clean as if it is. Flush it out with boiling water then clean the way you always do. Mind you, when I was commanding a CF Cadet Corps, long ago, we got regular 10W-30 motor oil to clean everything with. Including our No. 4's that fired wartime made ammo. No fuss or bother. Shot some 1944 vintage Dominion ammo one time. Absolutely fabulous ammo. Far more accurate than the mid 80's IVI crap we got later.

Jackal
January 2, 2007, 01:47 AM
Short answer. Not corrosive.

Limeyfellow
January 2, 2007, 02:41 AM
The Swiss were pretty much the first on the block to have all non corrosive ammunation.

The last Swiss corrosive ammo was the G1890 and G1890/03 and is clearly a different round with a big rounded bullet designed for rifles before the 1911. Even that was fixed later on with the G1890/23. Swiss ammo is some of the very best surplus stuff you can buy.

Of course most the other nations using corrosive primers from well after ww2 was more to do with the vast amounts of stock they had to use up and that it tended to last longer in the very oldest of ammunation.

sixgunner455
January 2, 2007, 03:35 AM
GP11 is match-grade, non-corrosive.

Wolf Gold isn't as accurate, and isn't corrosive, either.

Haven't shot anything else.

Antihero
January 2, 2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

Now i need a K31.....

rockstar.esq
January 2, 2007, 08:11 PM
I took apart a G11 round with my kinetic bullet puller and was truly impressed by the efforts made to make that projectile work perfectly. There's a small cannelure groove into which some kind of cementous compound was applied when the bullet was seated. It seems to me that it serves to waterproof the case. All in all I'm pretty sure that the reputation of the K-31 was won more by the ammo than the rifle. Not to say the K-31 isn't a fine rifle it's just that the G11 ammo is vastly superior to just about every military surplus offering excepting match ammo.

270Win
January 2, 2007, 08:50 PM
Now, if only they would start importing more GP11... which apparently is MASSIVELY stockpiled over there...

American By Blood
January 2, 2007, 08:50 PM
There's a small cannelure groove into which some kind of cementous compound was applied when the bullet was seated.

Beeswax, if memory serves.

Davo
January 2, 2007, 09:16 PM
Part of the reason your K31's bore looks so great is because gp11 is non corrosive. They really knew what they were doing when they developed this loading, its actually very similar to the US military 7.62 match round.

If you enjoyed reading about "Surplus 7.5x55 corrosive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!