S&W Model 19 Barrel Swap

PDA

308win
January 2, 2007, 08:40 AM
What would be the approximate cost of a barrel swap from 6" to 4" on a Model 19 Combat Magnum? Is this something that I could do with no special tools/training or is fitting involved?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 19 Barrel Swap" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LubeckTech
January 2, 2007, 10:32 AM
Replacing a barrel on a fixed barrel revolver needs to be done by an experienced gunsmith. Many people who attempt it warp the frame just getting the old barrel off! It is not a cheap process either but something less expensive and possibly cooler would be having a gunsmith shorten the barrel and cut a dovetail for a fiber optic front sight. The advantage to this is you could have the barrel cut to any length you want like 3", 5" or 4.2" (max IDPA length for revolver), crowned for max. accuracy and a front sight of your choice. Basically you would end up with a custom gun and increase it's value if done right. You may alco consider trading it for a 4" 19 or I would get a 4" S&W L frame as this would probably but not necessairily cheaper. A place to start getting prices would be Clark Custom Gun in Dubberly Louisiana - they will probably be a little high but would give you a price to shop local gunsmiths with.

isp2605
January 2, 2007, 11:34 AM
Give S&W a call if you don't have a local smith to do the work. It's not a big job, just need the right jigs and tools.
Cutting off a barrel, done right, would be more expensive and you'd end up with barrel where the stampings would be off, decreasing the value.

308win
January 2, 2007, 11:47 AM
Can anyone recommend a smith in Central Ohio they would trust to swap factory barrels on an S&W Model 19?

LubeckTech
January 2, 2007, 12:53 PM
Depending on where you are North Pole Gunsmithing in Marietta does good work and may not be too far of a drive. There is also SDM Fabricating (www.sdmfabricating.com) in Medina who could swap for you or shorten for $200 including fiber optic front site but I think they take too long. Also if you want to do it your self you should be able to get what you need at Midway USA or Brownell's. Check on the Brownell website and you may find instructions on the procedure. There are a lot of good instructions for home gunsmithing on 1911s and other firearms. Learning to do your own work is a great way to become more knowlegable about guns and helps you to be a better shooter.

Gewehr98
January 2, 2007, 02:48 PM
But I want to install a 4" barrel on a 2.5" Model 19. Word is that S&W no longer has any spare 4" Model 19 barrels, so you're left trying to source one elsewhere, or retrofit a different model's barrel to the gun. (4" stainless Model 66, etc)

If you don't mind, keep us informed here as to how your search for both barrel and gunsmith went. I'm very much interested.

Confederate
January 2, 2007, 04:00 PM
If the barrel is pinned, the pin has to be driven out first and the cylinder removed. Then the barrel is placed in a vice to secure it with the frame up. The wood handle of a hammer can be fitted in the frame and, using the frame, can be torqued until the barrel works itself loose. Because the Smith has a side plate, you can indeed warp the gun. Once the barrel is removed, you can't just screw in the new barrel because it's likely that it will be way off center when tight. So then the barrel must be fitted to the new frame by hand, which can be time consuming.

So yes, it is doable, but would it be worth it? If so, I'd send it back to Smith & Wesson rather than give it to a local gunsmith. The latter charges by the job. The factory smith gets paid a wage and if they can fit it in, they may do it gratis or, if not, at least give you a better price.

308win
January 2, 2007, 04:46 PM
I have contacted S&W and I will post what I learn. I don't want an after market barrel or a barrel off of another Model unless it is identical and no difference. I bought this new in late 78 or early 79; it is a target model and I want to keep it factory original.

308win
January 3, 2007, 11:57 AM
Talked to S&W customer service. I was told that barrels for Model 19 are not available and will not be available as it is an out of production product. She referred me to Numrich or Brownells. Numrich is out of stock. Couldn't find anything on Brownells. I guess I will keep it stock and continue to kick myself for not buying the Colt Commander 38Super that I could have had for the same price back in the day.

Gewehr98
January 3, 2007, 01:09 PM
There are a couple other sources for S&W barrels, though. ;)

Colonel Plink
January 3, 2007, 02:53 PM
I hope so. I need one for a Model 14.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 19 Barrel Swap" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!