Broomhandle Mauser project gun...

PDA

Clipper
January 2, 2007, 02:17 PM
...Found at the local shop, in .30 Mauser. Now this thing's been to the wars...litteraly! The barrel crown is actually worn down from holster wear, the barrel itself is shot out and the chamber is trash...The firing pin is also missing. My ultimate goal is to make it safe to fire, but I wanted to find out whether I can re-barrel to 9mm Luger. Mainly, will the bolt, magazine or extractor require very extensive modification? I'm a journeyman Toolmaker, and have the equipment and technical expertise to do the work, but some things reach a point of diminishing returns...I would just rather be able to use the cheaper ammo so I can spend more time shooting...

PS-Does anyone know if/where I can get detailed blueprints, not just exploded views, but dimensions & component materials?

If you enjoyed reading about "Broomhandle Mauser project gun..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Firehand
January 2, 2007, 05:18 PM
If I remember correctly, that pistol was also made in 9mm. I think the .30 Mauser cartridge actually had the same or higher pressure than 9mm, you might well be able to reline the barrel instead of replace it.

The case head diameter of .30 Mauser is basically identical to 9x19mm- in a CZ52, you can change the 7.62x25(dimensionally same as .30 Mauser except for length) barrel for a 9mm barrel and even use the same magazine with either cartridge, so I wouldn't think the bolt, mag or extractor would need modification. Might have to go to a different weight recoil spring.

mrmeval
January 3, 2007, 02:24 AM
What I've read on those state they are relined. A gunsmith drills them out and solders in a liner then recuts the chamber. I assume they can do that in either 30 mauser or 9mm.

lathedog
January 3, 2007, 08:30 AM
I have one that I had rebored about ten years ago, due to a bore as smooth as if it had been reamed. The place was Oyster Bay Industries, I think. The actually cut rifling and a 9x19 chamber in my existing barrel. They used to advertise in Shotgun News, and would also reline to 30 mauser.

The shorter 9x19 case makes the cartridges an iffy fit to the magazine. The case taper seems to exacerbate the length issue. The original 9mm mauser or 7.63 (30) mauser are tapered as well, but a wee bit longer.

Wolff makes a spring set for the broomhandle, although some of the springs are best guesses as to what your particular gun might have in it. Quite possibly the Wolff set was correct and my broomhandle had some funky springs to begin with. There was a lot of variety over the years on these.

I have to say that a broomhandle seems like a really wonderful gun until you own one. I'm not the first to say this. They are kind of a hassle to operate compared to the more modern designs that have spoiled me. And I say this as a guy that loves black powder and cap 'n' ball revolvers. I've shot one with the shoulder stock and it is a real disappointment. This is as opposed to the BHP with shoulder stock, which I found to be really much cooler than I had previously imagined. I'd like to try a luger with shoulder stock some day.

George Nonte has a section in his book "Pistolsmithing" on how to replace a barrel on a broomhandle (aka 1896 Mauser). Basically you cut it off just ahead of the flats (the octagonal/haxagonal flat part of the barrel just ahead of the chamber), backbore, and insert a new barrel. Cut off the old front sight well into the barrel meat, and put a dovetail into the new barrel. Insert old front sight and file to match. voila.

If you enjoyed reading about "Broomhandle Mauser project gun..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!