Best way to measure out pistol powder?

PDA

Rudolf the Red
January 2, 2007, 03:21 PM
I would like to find out what people are using as I have having a hard time deciding which way to go from just using a scale. :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Best way to measure out pistol powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
January 2, 2007, 04:57 PM
"By hand" is about the closest your list comes to what I do. I use a powder despencer (Lee Auto Disk) and I weigh every charge before it has a bullet seated above it. I use a RCBS Electronic scale. And have a RCBS 5-0-5 to back it up. It may be slow, but I have very few mistakes and none get a bullet seated before I discover an error.

Matt-man
January 2, 2007, 05:02 PM
Hornady powder measure with pistol metering insert.

In my opinion the automated powder dispensers are too slow for volume loading of pistol rounds, and my powder measure is accurate enough anyway. Trickling by hand with a scale is definitely too slow.

1911user
January 2, 2007, 05:17 PM
I use an adjustable cavity powder measure and do not weigh every charge after the measure is set. I prefer dillon but currently use hornady.

Walkalong
January 2, 2007, 05:32 PM
Redding 10X powder measure.
Consistent volume is as important as wieght with powder. Energy content for the volume or something like that. I don't remember the exact explanation. Lets hear from ya. :)

Oh Yea. It is set up on my old Hornady progressive.

Father Knows Best
January 2, 2007, 05:45 PM
I load pistol ammo on a pair of Dillon RL550B progressive presses, using Dillon auto powder measures. No way am I gonna bother to weigh each and every charge. Then again, I'm not loading for bullseye competition, either. If I was worried about making extremely consistent ammo, as I am with many rifle rounds, I would load them using the single stage and weigh each charge.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
January 2, 2007, 06:00 PM
When I selected automatic powder measure with scale, I thought I was selected a powder measure, not an automated scale.

I much prefer using my Hornady LnL powder measure with case activated powder drop for pistol over anything else I've used. If it wasn't an option, I'd go with either the Lee Pro Auto Disk measure or the Dillon case activated measures.

If you're reloading pistol for anything except bullseye, that's the way to go. For precision pistol shooting, reload it like a single stage for rifle.

Just my .02,

Dave

JDGray
January 2, 2007, 06:34 PM
Lee Pro Auto Disc. If your a hunter, or shooting over 25yrds, I'd weigh every load. Just blasting up close, a cavity type powder measure will work fine.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Best way to measure out pistol powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!