Short barrel rifle question.


.45 AUTO
January 2, 2007, 11:23 PM
If you take a AR Pistol & attach an M-4 collapsable stock to it does it automatically become a SBR under the NFA?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Short barrel rifle question." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
January 2, 2007, 11:26 PM

January 2, 2007, 11:33 PM
um, so is a ar pistol registered as a pistol? if so, is it illegal to attach a stock to any pistol? so if you do , do you have to go with a 16 inch barrel on the pistol with a stock?

January 2, 2007, 11:36 PM
If it is a pistol you can't attach a stock or forward grip to it.

By doing so you will be creating an NFA weapon, SBR/AOW depending on which you do.

Giving it a 16" barrel has no bearing on the legality of the weapon in this case.

.45 AUTO
January 2, 2007, 11:42 PM
By foward grip do you mean a pistol grip or handguards?

January 2, 2007, 11:43 PM
I mean a grip that extends below the barrel such as with a forward pistol grip.

January 3, 2007, 02:07 AM
You can legally attach a shoulder stock AND a 16" or greater length barrel to a pistol. There are 1911 and Glock Carbine Conversions out there that do exactly this. Also you can't just attach a stock to a pistol and make it an SBR. You need to fill out a form 1 first, pay the $200 tax, and wait to be approved. Once you are approved, you may legally create a SBR.

January 3, 2007, 02:13 AM
but its ok to add a long barrel and stock as long as you do both, yes?

what about just a long barrel?

January 3, 2007, 03:31 AM
if it is registered as a pistol, it must fire like a pistol, that is fire it with one hand on the pistol grip. you can add a 40 in bbl if you want, it still doesnt change the config. as far as doing the glock thing, I would think that , as long as it can still be fired , as a pistol, since the wire stock, is readily moveable, or even with it deployed, it can still be fired as a pistol, then that would be ok, but i wouldn't hold my breath on it. however, there is no vertical forend pistol grip on it, nor can you put one on it, because now you have changed it to fire as a sbr, or too rifle like, assault like. and that is a big no-no.

January 3, 2007, 03:34 AM
handguards are fine, look at this.
now look at this very illegal thing;(which i luv)
now here, is mine.

January 3, 2007, 07:35 AM
A receiver registered as a "pistol" can be a pistol or a rifle, but a receiver as a "rifle" can only become a rifle. legality and SBR are dictated by what your barrel length is with what attachments.(and seeing as how it is an AR i do not have to get into 922r stuff) This is why I order my AK recievers as "pistols" so I can build them either way.

To keep it non-confusing: if the barrel is under 16" don't put a stock or other banned pistol stuff on it without SBR paperwork.

But once the barrel is over 16" do whatever you want :D

January 3, 2007, 02:08 PM
wow there's a bit of dis-information in this thread

if it's registered as a pistol and the barrel is less than 16" adding a stock makes it a SBR


if it's registered as a pistol and and has a barrel 16" or longer you can add a stock and it then becomes a rifle aslong as the stock is attached

(note that any combination of sub 16" barrel and a stock will be a SBR)

now for the funny part

if it's registered as a rifle it can never have a barrel less than 16" or it automatically becomes a SBR even if it does not have a butt stock

as for a wire stock on a glock thats a instant SBR

Note that you can build a SBR provided you fill out a Form 1 and a certificate of compliance & get a CLEO signoff, get fingerprinted and attach a passport picture to the form 1 (trusts&Corps skip that) send your form 1 in duplicate to the WV branch of the BATFE allong with a check for $200, wait about 6 weeks, then after all that *IF* you get approved you then can build a SBR (only after you have your name, city and state engraved on the side of the gun)

also note that as a SBR no one can use/posess it with out the owner physically being around/next to the gun. It cant be loaned or borrowed... and you will have to notify the BATFE if you ever plan to take it out of stare (even for 1 minute) by filling out a 5320.20 (including the address that it will be taken to in the visited state) and then waiting for BATFE approval before it can ever cross a state line

January 3, 2007, 04:30 PM
Mtdew, I thought I just said that but in 5 sentences :neener:

January 3, 2007, 08:23 PM
you did but i added some more SBR info:evil:

I figured since even after the inital post explaining that it was ok w/ a long barrel some still disputed the fact that it was ok(w/ a +16" barrel) The thread needed another correct post to over power the incorrect ones:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Short barrel rifle question." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!